Fridge slide management

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:31
ThreadID: 67543 Views:3818 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What does everyone do about manageing gear around a fridge slide. When the back is full of gear and the fridge is pulled out - what prevent other gear falling into the space.

I have made a birdcage which seems to work and also allows handling of the power lead so that it is not caught by the slidge when pushed in.

Image Could Not Be Found

Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andoland - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:42

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:42
I have gone with a similar idea, but a little more heavy duty. I have a divider either side of the fridge and a shelf that runs across the width of my vehicle, above the fridge. These are similar to the black widow ones, except my own design and made professionaly for less than 1/3 price of the BW ones.

AnswerID: 358134

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:45

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:45
Im actually about to build a side and back around ours today.We have a tilting slide so have to stop stuff falling in from the side and back.
AnswerID: 358136

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:28

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:28
Hi Alan.
Good idea nice and simple.
That reminds me of one of my next to do jobs.

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 358144

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:50

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:50
I use 55ltr Plastic wheeled Storage boxes. They work a treat stacked two high. But I also have room to spare in my Slide off Camper, as I can fit 8 of them. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 358149

Reply By: Kiwi and Grenade - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:43

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:43
we never had anything around ours and never had a problem with anything falling into its space (everything was in boxes) but the only thing I wish we ever had was a shelf over the top up high like in that photo up there someones put up....just to store stuff that doesn't have a home...all that last minute stuff that gets shoved int he back somewhere.....
looks likes a good set up though
AnswerID: 358169

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:15

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:15
Hi Alan
My wife and I built this about a year ago and have used it extensively now, and wonder how we ever survived using storage boxes rattling around the back.
Made from 6mm ply and at the rear of the fridge we have aenough room to store torches and stuff.
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Rod
AnswerID: 358174

Reply By: Mick B (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 16:42

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 16:42
Image Could Not Be Found

I have built storage in the back based around plastic boxes and the engel. The large free space is for the dog.

Mick
AnswerID: 358202

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:04

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:04
hi alan - you would have great airflow around the fridge. it looks like it would solve your problem quite ok.

i made up a ply box unit. top was hinged to allow easy full access to fridge if its not slid out of box. also put large 4 inch holes each side at vents and rear had a large enough opening for airflow too. i fitted a L shape steel bracket on the outside that slid under the rear seat anchors on the floor and that was all i needed to secure it to the floor. i also fitted two slide out units one above the other. bottom served as a table when needed but the top was the fridge slide. discovered we had to use the table one below after sliding out the fridge or you would knock everything off it so thats why i hinged the top to allow full access for the time one of the kids decided they wanted something after you already got stuff out. also had space each side and top of it for airflow. i used to put 1 thick carwash type sponge in the gaps on each side and top to act as a spacer between fridge and box and that worked great. (gave you some sponges too if ever needed) another benefit was i could slide whole unit out simply and place it on ground when camping to elevate fridge off ground to keep any damp ground or water away. yours however is a great easy and simple lightweight solution that does allow good airflow and is inexpensive and quick to build. amazing what we can do to fix our problems hey!
AnswerID: 358308

Sponsored Links