treg coupling

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:20
ThreadID: 67551 Views:3271 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G/Day Again. Something new to me. I notice that My Tvan has a treg coupling. Something I have not come across before. It looks to be more difficult to hitch up. I would appreciate any tips on connecting it to the wagon. This will be a one man operation. Cheers Steve

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:26

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:26
Steve, Easy, Just line up the poly block and the u shaped tongue and slide together, drop the pin in,, They are much quieter than a ball coupling.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 358179

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:30

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:30
We have a treg on our van, the truck is fitted with a reversing camera and can back the truck to the van and hook up by myself, no problems.
Used to have a Cub Camper with a Treg and at that stage didn't have r/camera, but you get to know how far you can reverse to the camper, then its just a matter of a bit of push, or shove till the fittings meet.
Worst part is making sure the camper hitch is the same height as the draw bar.
Good luck with it.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 358180

Reply By: Kanga1 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 14:22

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 14:22
Hi Escarby, your van may have been a special order, our Tvan and every other one I have seen have the AT 35 hitch, but I have heard of Hire ones with Tregs and Hydraulic brakes, if you have hydraulic brakes it may have an ex hire unit, hitching either type of hitch up is easy on any ground with a pneumatic tyre ratchet type drive jockey wheel,easy peasy. Cheers Kanga1
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

AnswerID: 358187

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:01

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:01
I found the ratchet jocjey wheels to be useless on any sort of slope, especially on grass. The ratchet just generated too much torque for the traction available and slipped around on the van withput moving it. Fine on level concrete. Trouble was, that was never where I used it away from home. I find treg very difficult for one person if you have a heavy tow unit. Best technique I have found is as Alan described. Position the hitches on vehicle and tow unit alongside each other, then raise jockey wheel to get height righrt and then rotate the tow unit sideways on the jocket wheel. Easier than pulling and pushing unit into position. A little lubricant on the pin is a very good idea, I use a smidge of silicone spray.
FollowupID: 626337

Follow Up By: Member - esarby (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:20

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:20
Thanx Kanga. The Tvan is brand new. [ Demo on the lot] not special order or hire. Brakes are electric/drum. I have to get the Xtrail wired before picking up the Tvan. Thanx Steve

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 626339

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:25

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:25
I also should have said. The process is easier, especially for one person, if you have a tow unit fitted with a handbrake. Not all units with electric brakes have a hand operated over ride.
FollowupID: 626341

Follow Up By: Member - esarby (NSW) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 17:14

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 17:14
Mfewster. yes the "Tvan" does have a hand brake.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 626496

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 14:41

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 14:41
With the treg on my Aussie Swag, I try and put the vehicle beside the treg. Then it is just a matter of adjust hieght till correct and a sideways shove with the leg while I slide the pin in.

Make sure the cotter pin is flat and not caught up. After putting the pin through the pin I rotate it until it sits flat and free.

The hitch works fine.

Alan
AnswerID: 358190

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 19:06

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 19:06
Been using the poly block & pin Treg (or the same system by Trigg) for about 10 years - a very robust system and well worth having - quite used to happily hitching up (and my dickie back won't stand any heavy mucking about). When hitching up, if the ground is not even enough to push the trailer forward or back a little, we just make sure that we park the tow bar's yoke right alongside the trailer's poly block - it's usually quite easy to push the trailer's hitch sideways with a knee while adjusting the height with the jockey - works for us.

AnswerID: 358218

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:29

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:29
As advised above, get the vehicle position approximately right, set the height exactly with the jockey wheel, then rock the trailer to line it up for the pin to drop in (actually needs a bit of lubrication and a quick push down). I always put the jockey wheel down onto a wooden board when setting up and also align the wheel at right angles to the normal position. This makes it easy to rock the trailer sideways when hitching up later. Maco wheel doesn't work on our camper when on a slope. It just slips and skids. Better off with a solid rubber standard jockey wheel and a bit of pushing and shoving. (Plus a few choice adjectives)

Kingo
AnswerID: 358234

Reply By: Member - Scrubcat (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:35

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:35
G`day Steve,
I have an AT35 coupling on my c/van which is about the same to line up as the Treg.
I have added a small piece of poly dripper tube to the end of the top section of an old thin fibre glass fishing rod about 1mtr long.
I jamb the poly end of the rod into the coupling so that it is standing vertical and in the center of the coupling.
I also have a small piece of insulation tape stuck to the inside of the rear window on the s/wagon dead center sideways.
When reversing toward the van I line up the center of the inside rear vision mirror, with the dot of tape on the rear window, with the rod standing vertical from the coupling and another dot of tape on the front and in the middle of the van.
Moving backwards very slowly, with everything lined up, to just touch the coupling, then move forward a smidge, hop out and adjust the van to the correct height, hop in and move back gently . You will get the holes in the coupling lined up pretty close and just a nudge this way or that and the pin will slide in.
I have done most of my caravanning on my own and I find this method of hitching up to be quite easy.

Cheers mate,

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 358236

Reply By: Member - Mark (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:15

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:15
One of the Camper Trailer web sites has a good idea for a reversing guide, assuming you can see out your back windscreen. You take an approx. 1.2-1.5 length of electical conduit or dowel, fit a screw or bolt stopper through it about 150mm from one end and then inert ithe short end through your poly block, such that 1.4m is standing vertical. Makes it a lot easier reversing to be adjacent to your block as described above. The conduit should fit into your pole locker.

I was reminded I need to make one when trying to hitch mine up today!
AnswerID: 358255

Reply By: Member - esarby (NSW) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 13:41

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 13:41
Thanx all for the responses. As I said I am new to the forum and will get better further up the track. the only problem I can see is if I am parked on soft ground. Thanx for the tip [ board under the jockey wheel and the pole at the back.] Get the electric brake fitted in the X Trail tomorrow at ARB. another $330 I have the feeling I should be a shareholder before I am finished setting up. I hope this set up is a one off. Thanx again

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 358343

Sponsored Links