Shocks & tyres

G'day all, due to the abandonment of our little trip & gathering to Rathdowney today,i decided i would change my shockies.
Started with right front 1hr no problem,move on to front left 3/4hr,no problem,moved on to left rear do the outside shock no problem walk in to shed get another chock for same side come out to truck,happened to glance at the tyre i had taken off,it is lying upside down(inner side up) eyeball 2 bulges one bigger than the other near the rim,biggest one about the size of your computer mouse.
So continue to replace inside left rear shock,get spare down put on hub after i check for more bubbles,ok but there are some inverted ripples on all tyres after checking them.By the way i have now completed changing all shocks.
Now these tyre have been on the truck for about (gotta find receipt) 12 mths & 17400klms.The tyre these replaced were the originals that came with the truck Goodyear wranglers i think,3.5 yrs old & 48000 klms.,which also had these same type of ripples & this is why they were replaced, tyre dude said they were LAMINATING so am right in thinking these would also be LAMINATING.
Will be down there first thing in the morning to see him.Will also be looking to find TOYO warranty in Google shortly.
They Toyo Open Country H/T.
Sorry it so long winded but thought you might be needing some reading on a slow Sunday night.

Cheers,
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:54

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:54
Not good Bob, hope you get it sorted mate. Tyres have really gone up in price the last few months, do not need for some thing like to happen.
AnswerID: 358217

Follow Up By: Robert HL (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:00

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:00
G'day Bruce,your right there mate.
Cheers,
Bob.
FollowupID: 626348

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 19:23

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 19:23
Gday Bob,
What tyre size, what load index and what pressures do you run?
I delaminated some tyres that were run at low pressures on the Anne Beadell Hwy when the weather was over 40 degrees.
Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 358221

Follow Up By: Robert HL (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:07

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:07
G'day Phil,Not sure off the of the load rating i think it is around the 1600kgs with speed rating of not less than 120kph.I have been running 70psi rear & 60psi up front.Tyre recomendation on the door 70r & 45-50 front i think but on the tyre it says maximum 80psi for the tyre.I'll see what the tyre mob say t'morrow.
Cheers,

Bob.
FollowupID: 626349

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:42

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:42
Bob,

OK, let me guess...they are 265/75R16 with a load index of 120.
If so, they should be fine for a vehicle as heavy as your truck, so I can't imagine that being an issue.

Next question the tyre guys will want to know is what pressures you are running because low pressures often cause delamination. Sounds like yours are plenty high enough, considering you have 80psi max.

Next question - how much offroading do you do, as they are only a H/T tyre and in the product literature says for "mild offroading only".

So if you don't do significant offroading, and your pressures are high enough, sounds like you have good grounds for a warranty claim. I know of 2 instances where Goodyear came to the party without argument and replaced delaminated tyres. I hope that Toyo do the same for you.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 626379

Follow Up By: Robert HL (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 06:38

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 06:38
Phil, you are right on the size & all.
I done an off road course about a month ago nothing extreme & the next saturday had the tyres rotated so they if it where visible the bulges that is should have seen them & reported it to me & there boss.
So either way they did not or they were not visible at the time.
The Toyo website does not mention the inverted groves as delamination though, i will pushing for them to be replaced or exchanged.
Thanks for your input.
Regards, Bob.
FollowupID: 626403

Reply By: obee1212 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:41

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:41
had a similar prob years ago and when I went to complain they asked what pressure do I use. They said it was too high or low and they would have said same either way. They just pushed it back to me. I never forget Kleber tyres and Ian Diffen. They had a bad batch but they would not take responsibility. It was that bad it got in the news.

owen
AnswerID: 358238

Follow Up By: Robert HL (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:00

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:00
Been on the Toyo Au website & all is explained there in there Tech section Very interesting too i might add.Tried to get a link to here but could not figure how,though i did try 4 times.
Seems the hollows as i call them are only cosmetic & should be ok but hte two bulges they say are caused by gutter pinch or going into pot holes buf is rarely seen on LT tyres. So should get one replaced at least.

Had problem yrs ago in Syd as all 4 tyres rolled off the rims tyre mob didn't want to know me.

Cheers,

Bob.
FollowupID: 626369

Sponsored Links