Goonamillera Crossing

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 23:28
ThreadID: 67576 Views:2631 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
This is my first post - although I have been visiting the site for a few years.

Next week, some friends and I anticipate being in Birdsville en route to Ayers Rock.

I have been advised by S.A. Parks that it is currently not possible to cross the Simpson - as Eyre Creek and Warburton Crossing are in flood.

What I would like to know is the current state of Goonamillera Crossing. Is it passable?

How wide / deep is the crossing - what is the bottom like? What is the flow rate? (slow, medium, fast, torrent) What are the entry & exit points like (steep & sudden, or gentle slope)?

Our alternatives are black top via Port Augusta or via Boulia and the Plenty (but I have heard the Plenty is not a nice drive).

A bit of background about us:
Been 4wd for more than 10 years. I have a '99 3L turbo Diesel Hilux, with winch, snorkel & long range tank. Familiar with water crossings : www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ6Z29wHGLw

Mate has a Landrover Discovery with snorkel etc & extensive 4wd skills.

We are well prepared, have a sat phone etc. Just need to know if we're going across the Simpson or around it.

I will be phoning Birdsville info centre on Monday 6th April, but trying to get some extra info from people that may know.

Thanks for your time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 23:35

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 23:35
From all reports, Eyre creek is many kilometres wide. When it returns to being a creek, you'd have a chance, but that won't be for another month or two.

We camped at Goonamillera Crossing about 6 years ago, just after the water was receeding, and the bird life was brilliant.
AnswerID: 358266

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 06:09

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 06:09
As Phil said you won't be crossing for a while yet.
Having been in one of the first groups across the desert after floods a few times over the years you will use a lot more fuel than a standard crossing due to the many detours and soft going in trackless country to get around the wet stuff as well as up to spending a few more days doing it.
If the desert crossing is on the way to the centre then forget it, will take too long.
I've crossed the crossing when the creek was dropping, bonnet depth on a troopy and it was flowing relatively quicky, lighter vehicles in the group became boats and headed down stream. The bottom is pretty firm but rough with lots of rocks and the crossing itself is bowl shaped in cross section, sort of like a curve, water is opaque so you can't see anything under it.
If coming from the west you need to carry enough fuel to return to Mt Dare if unable to cross ie: a double crossing.
AnswerID: 358270

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:32

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:32
Peter

Where is Goonamerilla X-ng?

Cheers
FollowupID: 626422

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:37

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:37
The top crossing about 30k north of the main Eyre Crk crossing on the QAA.
The last time we crossed there when it was in flood it took us an extra day and about 120k to get around from the QAA and back to the QAA. Lot's of dead ends trying to find a route round the water, you really need a chopper or plane to work out where to go.
If the creek is the only problem then it is a simple 30k up and 30k back along each side but when it's in flood and 16k wide like at the moment there is no way of getting to the actual crossing and when the water goes down it leaves behind plenty of pooled water in the swales.
AnswerID: 358310

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 12:18

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 12:18
Thanks. I found it on my maps. That track is on station country and you would have permission to get there I presume.
FollowupID: 626441

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:01

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:01
Goonamillera Crossing (a.k.a. flood detour) is OUT. Sorry but with Eyre Creek at between 20 and 30 klms wide this means that the flood detour is also out.
AnswerID: 358364

Reply By: apfsds-t - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 00:03

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 00:03
Ok, Thanks all.
Unfortunately it seems we will be going blacktop.
That sucks - I was really looking forward to crossing the Simpson - looks like I will have to save it for a non rainy day.

Now the only challenge will be to not get bored.... :(

Thanks for your time and replies.
AnswerID: 358504

Sponsored Links