Lanterns - that Lumens and Candlepower issue

Submitted: Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:36
ThreadID: 67593 Views:3850 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Ok granted you can't compare on paper, but I mean you get a 300 Lumen lantern and you have to be able to compare it standing beside a 150 candlepower lantern, so which would you rather take away with you?

I've just bought a butane lantern, you know, it takes one of those cylinders that you cook with (cold weather not an issue in and around Brisbane) so I have high hoped, with canisters less than $1 each I'm confident it's going to be a good choice, easy and cheap and light (pun not intended).

And the price was like 40% less than that new primus LED lantern that boasts, I think, 300 Lumens. I looked at that lantern in depth at stores and well I think there's a gap in the market with LED lanterns so I'll try the butane one. Should be good on medium for 2 nights. I'd spend more than that on fuel for my Coleman Northstar dual fuel - it's just I don't want to leave that one with my wife as start up can be a bit traumatic if you're not used to them.

It was the Companion brand, new to the market apparently and Australian Standards Gas certified, so I'm confident it'll be good, will report back in a couple weeks. Has a mantle though, was hoping to done with them, oh well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 13:58

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 13:58
Hi Porl

Candlepower isn't quite the same thing as Lumens , but basically your gas lantern will appear brighter than the primus if both are standing on a table illuminating food.

I choose the primus , because its a lot safter and more versatile , you can for instance hang it upside under a tarp for better and more localized light , or give it to the kids to go walkies and its no problem if they knock it over.

Its light output also remains constant with temperature.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 358350

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 14:07

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 14:07
Hi Robin

Presuming you have the 300 Lumens primus with the super bright 1W LED, how long does it last?
FollowupID: 626461

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 14:25

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 14:25
Hi Porl

Has 3 * 1 watt leds , and is rated for 25 hours using 3 D cells.

This would make it expensive to run espically if someone forgot to turn it off.

Mine still on original batterys after about 15 camping days but then I do manage it and use its low power setting a bit.

The design isn't suited to re-chargeables either - but I recharge my standard alkanlines a bit anyway, which typically triples there life.

Interesting things , despite the fact that its not as bright as my 11watt fluro we hardly ever use the fluro any more as the ability to put the light right where you want it seems to win out in our style of camping.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 358357

Reply By: Member - Bushpig - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:49

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:49
Hows about 1,100 lumems spotlight... 1.100 lumens spot light

I am having one sent.

Cheers
AnswerID: 358376

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:51

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:51
good spotlight but not quite the thing for the kids having dinner.
FollowupID: 626472

Reply By: ozwasp - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 18:56

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 18:56
I saw those Companion lanterns in BCF a few weeks ago for $40. I was going to get one, but the quality was so cheap. I ended up getting the top of the range Coleman Northstar dual fuel lantern ($200) and am glad I did. My mate's old man purchased a Coleman Lantern back in the early 70s and it still looks fairly new - there's no substitute for Coleman quality.
AnswerID: 358424

Sponsored Links