Anyone explored Card Arid WA

Submitted: Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 17:21
ThreadID: 6761 Views:1721 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone done this or travelled along the coast east of Cape Arid towards Ecula recently?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:35

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:35
Haven't been there since Jan last year. Anything specific?
Have done the 90km of beach to the cliffs 3 times, and each time the conditions were quite different for sand driving.
Gerry
AnswerID: 28773

Follow Up By: spotgj - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 15:50

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 15:50
joc45, Im thinking about the road to the cliffs would the track be possible in a 2wheeler in winter now days?. Just a thought that my missing son Simon ( not a busshie) might have attemtped that track. I did that track from baladonia to Esperance in 1974 in a 2 wheeler in winter and coped miles of water on the tracks and haveing surveyed around all that deepsand in the 50's you just push it through and if its wet stay on the track,I had to go scrub cause you needed a sub on the tracks...a good ole HK waggon did it with 7inch rubbers...any ideas?
FollowupID: 20084

Follow Up By: joc45 - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 16:32

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 16:32
Sorry to hear about your missing son.
There are several tracks from the highway down to the telegraph track along the top of the cliffs.
They are all rough, mainly with sharp flinty limestone in places, interspersed with flat claypan surface, which means reasonably tough tyres required. Similar to the Balladonia track further south, perhaps a bit rougher, without the sand. The telegraph track is similar along the cliffs, with some sand at each end of the cliffs.
4wd is not necessary when dry, but if there has been recent rain, the track can be very slippery in the flat sections, and boggy in places. After some rain, we had to wait a couple of days at Toolinna Rock Hole to wait for the track to dry out, and we had a 4wd. You would not get thru the Pt Culver dunes to the beach in a 2wd.
There is a track south off the highway about 80km(I think) east of Balladonia which goes sth and joins the western end of the telegraph track not far from Pt Culver, and one can then travel east on the telegraph track as far as sth of Caiguna before heading north again. The telegraph track heads further east, and down to Baxter's memorial, but I don't know if one can get right through to the eastern end of the cliffs; one certainly couldn't about 5 yrs ago.
If you like, I'll dig out some gps coordinates for those turns - just have to find where I put them.
rgds
Gerry
FollowupID: 20087

Sponsored Links