Birdsville Track

What conditions could we expect on the birdsville track this winter . Also anyone ever towed a jayco outback or off road wind up camper through there and around that area . will they stand up to it or will we be left towing a big chassis with nothing else left attached to it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:46

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:46
Dont know what the precise conditions will be but it will probably be dry, a bit dusty and a little busy. I have towed an Outback Eagle and Outback Expanda throughout that area, and many other similar areas, and the only thing I have had fail was a wind up stabiliser that siezed up, well actually down. Cut it off with a grinder!
It is not what you tow that matters, it is how you tow that matters. You see plenty of occupants blasting along in their enhanced coil suspended comfortable vehicles and the trailer doing acrobatics behind them! Then they wonder, and complain, about them breaking.
AnswerID: 358518

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:49

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:49
The Birdsville track may look like this
Image Could Not Be Found

or like this
Image Could Not Be Found

or like this
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 358519

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:24

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:24
Gday Willem
You must have parked in that spot for a while to get the three photo's so different.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 626602

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:42

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:42
G'day Young Fella

Yeah, about 20 million years or so....lol
FollowupID: 626604

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:26

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:26
And the track could be all of Willems photos in the space of 24hrs.
AnswerID: 358539

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:41

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:41
We took some stone damage on our camper last year on a dry and stony Birdsville track. Pretty well par for the course I think. Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Solution 1: forget those fancy plastic feet thingos - use a piece of wood!

Solution 2: Make sure the wiring, plumbing etc is well protected. The manufacturer doesn't!

Solution 3: Drive slowly. Someone recently recommended 40KPH. It will take a long time though!

Kingo
AnswerID: 358543

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:52

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:52
Kingo

Yep, take it easy. About 80kmh max. Although another fella who used to frequent this forum used to brag about doing 160kmh on the track. It was only after some research that it came to light that his truck was set up for rallying.

Once upon a time just after rain and the road was opened, I went north. The surface was pretty chopped up and muddy in places and I found that sitting with the two offside wheels in the windrow was nice and comfy. I was only doing about 70kmh and in a bit of a daydream, when an obscured washout came into view. I threw out the anchor but still hit the hole at about 30kmh and did some damage especially to me noggin which hit the roof....lol. Gotta be ever so careful out there.

Cheers
FollowupID: 626606

Reply By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:46

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:46
Gerday Mark.

The Jayco's exterior should be ok, make sure that you fit stone deflectors/large mud flaps to the draw bar to protect the underside of the van from flying stones, as well as covering the rear windows of the tow vehicle.

But expect some interior fittings to come loose, pack heavy items (canned food etc.) on the lower level of cupboards & lighter items on the shelves otherwise they will drop! & maybe tape the stove cover in place, ours comes loose on corrugations.

As stated before lower your tyre pressures & keep the speed down & you'll be ok.

AnswerID: 358544

Reply By: Member - John & Sally W (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:35

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:35
Hi Mark,
Just make sure your bash plate/stone guard covering your water tank is adequate and covering inlet/outlet connections. Jayco is a bit stingy where this is concerned too. Make sure u-bolts and shocks etc all "serviced" before you go. Corrugations have a magical way of unscrewing things. Don't know whether your model has a suspended cupboard from the ceiling or not but we took ours off before getting anywhere near dirt roads as the 4 screws holding it on looked highly sus. Wing nuts to clip the stove top down and a strong eleastic band to make sure the fridge door doesn't pop open. Everything else stood up ok. Have a great trip. Sally
AnswerID: 358549

Follow Up By: Member - John & Sally W (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:43

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:43
Sorry "elastic". And don't worry too much about dust getting in everywhere. It's just part of the charm of Jaycos and outback travel.
FollowupID: 626610

Sponsored Links