How will the 60 series perform?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:06
ThreadID: 67632 Views:2882 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Im soon to take on the Simpson for the first time in my 60 series Cruiser, I have a well maintained motor, 2inch lift, A/T tyres, Diff Lock, compressor, winch, and UHF, and soon will have installed a long range tank. Just wondering how you guys think the old girl will travel being an old slow truck? Will I get up some of the bigger dunes? Also any idea about what fuel consumption I can expect?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:10

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:10
Hi Falcon - You didn't say if it was a real car or a diesel so its hard to say consumption.

Been out there with a few of them so not an Issue , they were great cars , even better with coil spring conversion
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 358556

Follow Up By: Falcon46 - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:23

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:23
Sorry

Its a Diesel and a thirsty one at that
FollowupID: 626613

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:22

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:22
I have a 60 series diesel with similar specs to those you gave. Do a Simpson crossing just about every year. It handles it with ease. Last year I drove it a bit more carefully (and slowly) than usual as I was unsure whether or not I had enough fuel (didn't have an extra jerry) I was stunned at the fuel consumtion. A tad under 8litres per 100km. Couldn't believe this when I filled in Birdsville and mentioned it to the garage owner. He wasn't surprised, said that if you just take it easy over the dunes on low pressure tyres, they just idle along and that sort of result not uncommon. Normally I get around 12l per 100 around town. Low tyre pressures so you don't dig into the sand and lowered speeds are the answer.
Had a lot of weight on board, including 170 litres of water, 3 people mountain bike, Aaeco and spares and food for a week.
AnswerID: 358558

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:39

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:39
Are you sure about 8L/100km. That is 12.5km/L. You said your car was fully loaded with 3 people as well and all that crossing sand dunes with soft sand. I think you have your figures wrong. Probably more like 8km/L or 12.5l/100km. even that seems too low. Most cars would use around 20L/100km on a trip like that with a load as you described.
Cheers
FollowupID: 626615

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 13:56

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 13:56
Yeah George agree with you.

More like 8km/l which wouldn't be bad for an old banger like that.....though I still think the calculations are wrong.

Oodnadatta to Birdsville about 600-ish. 60 series has 90 litre tank plus 20lts out of Jerry= 110lt... Hmmm..... so more like 5.4k/lt or 18.5/100

Cheers

FollowupID: 626642

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 16:17

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 16:17
Oh ye of little faith.
Nope, I didn't say I had a standard tank, which iswhat Willem's calculation is based on. I have the standard 90 L tank plus a 40 litre extra tank, plus I was carrying a 20 litre jerry. The 20 litre jerru had been poured in after about 300km, just to get it out of the way. So all in all there was 160 litres in the vehicle for the trip. the calculation was made on what was needed to fill at B'ville. The engine is not original. It is the original engine but rebuilt to turbo specs with different valves, pistons etc. It has done about 70000km.
As I said, I was a bit nonplussed and double checked what had been added at b'ville. There was no way I coulkd make an error. I discussed it with the owner of the B'ville Mobil service station because I wasn't sure that my tank could actually been fully filled. He confirmed it and said he wasn't surprised. As I said, the trick appears to be just the relatively slow speed at which we were travelling and low tyre pressures which meant floating over the sand.
FollowupID: 626663

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 16:27

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 16:27
90+40+20 =150 not 160. Hope you don't teach Maths...lol

So how much did you use and what distance did you travel?
FollowupID: 626664

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 16:42

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 16:42
Willem you are right. And I often do teach maths although I am usually an English teacher. Sigh.
We went from Oodnadatta, where the vehicle was filled, to Dalhousie, followed the Rig track then the inside track into B'ville. I had intended going via Mt Dare and topping up there, but decided we probably could do it by going direct to Dalhousie. I drove very, and unusually carefully, the whole way, idling down hills , getting into top gear asap etc because I wasn't quite sure that we would get through, having not gone the Mt Dare route. No idea now on actua lkm and litres used, just the final calculation which gave 7.9somethingL per 100. I said at the time to the Mobil in b'ville that noone would believe me.
Tell you what, next time someone is in B'ville, chat to the Mobil serv owner and report back to us all. As I said, he wasn't at all surprised when I double checked the figures with him and discussed the speed we were doing.
I'm doing the trip again this year. Had intended taking 2 jerries this time and going a bit quicker. Do I have to redo it and get signed statements? There is already another EO member on ther private messages discussing joining this year's crossing.
FollowupID: 626665

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:00

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:00
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........by my calculation 818km @7.9/100 gives a total of 103.5 litres used for the distance.

Now admittedly there are not that many soft dunes along the Rig Road and out via Warburton Crossing so it possible to get very good fuel consumption if driving very judiciously. Your turbo would not have played any part in the fuel consumption as it probaby only kicks in at a certain rev range.

I have only ever achieved such a result from a 4cyl petrol car with a helluva tailwind and sitting on 80-100km on a flat bitumen road.

You may be right, but I am a sceptic.

Next time you make claims like this please supply the evidence......LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 626678

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:19

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:19
Scepticism accepted Willem. Nope, I don't normally make claims like this and have no other similar claims to make, so don't have much in the way of evidence to back me up. (Unless someone is up B'ville way and wants to yarn to the Mobil station owner). I'd be interested in reports from others however on what sort of figure they get from diesel Lruisers should they ever be iidling along for long distances at low speeds. I'm talking 60kmh or less with just the odd brief burst up to say, 80. I would never normally be travelling like that and I don't at other times get those sort of figures either. Personally, considering the size and shape of big diesel 4wd's I think they are amazingly fuel efficient, despite the public perception. Around the city, there isn't much to choose between our 1996 Falcon and the old cruiser in regular everyday driving.
FollowupID: 626683

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 12:41

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 12:41
I am dead sure about that. I did a double take at the time and checked my figures again. I checked with the (Mobil) service station in B'ville because I thought there must be something wrong with his pump. I did the trip slowly. We were travelling with push bike riders. Most of the trip I would have been doing less than 40kmh and I was certainly doing everything I could to conserve fuel as I drove as I wasn't sure that I had enough. It was filled at Oodnadatta, had 20 litres from a jerry and that was it. Should have said, I have a turbo fitted. Yes, I usually get a little worse than 12l per 100km when driving (reasonably gently) around suburbs in Adelaide. If I start travelling over 80kmh however, consumption rises rapidly.
AnswerID: 358566

Follow Up By: Krakka - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:10

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:10
Mfewster, Man I know you don't have to justify anyting, BUT I was stoked at using only 15.3lt per 100km, that was in a100s with 4.2 lt non turbo. Only two of us but well loaded, speed similar to you and on a lot of the flat sections between dunes was only in 2wd with tyres at about 15 lbs.

Cheers

Krakka

Just comparing figures to yours.
FollowupID: 626681

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:35

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:35
Krakka, that's interesting. Your message brought it back. I should have said, I stayed in 2WD whenever possible and was surprised at just how much this was. Tyres were about 22lb.
I can see that I have talked myself into a corner and might have to try to do this again this year with witnesses. I had sort of intended taking the second jerry this year and not working as hard at being careful.
I'm not at all upset by the doubting. I was more than a bit unbelieving myself when it was filled up at B'ville. As I said, at first I though the pump was faulty or there was an airlock in my fuel line and it hadn't fully filled. But with my bike riding passenger and the Mobil owner, we looked at the figures carefully. And the Mobil gent was not surprised when he knew the speed we had been travelling at. I don't think I could have got the Km wrong as I reset the odometer as I left Oodnadatta.
I normally would only get into the 15L per 100Km when towing our big off road camper trailer.
AnswerID: 358636

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:02

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:02
I also got just on 8 km per litre out of my 12HT many years ago.
When I first bought it in 1993, I travelled at about 80 k's PH Adelaide to Broken Hill and got that mileage.

I have never done the trip again at that speed, but I was astonished at the economy.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 626714

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:08

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:08
Dave, it's a good thing this is all done by email or I might have kissed you.
AnswerID: 358664

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:12

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:12
Mike, let me know when your coming this way and I will make sure I am away. A long way away hahaha.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 626719

Sponsored Links