Water in Lake Eyre

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 17:10
ThreadID: 67649 Views:2823 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give me an update on the amount of water in Lake Eyre and the best land travel options if any to see it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Garbutt - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 17:21

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 17:21
Have a look at the Lake Eyre Yacht Club site, their info is usually fairly up to date.Lake Eyre yacht Club
AnswerID: 358619

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:45

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:45
Ring the William Ck pub or Trevor Wright at Wright Air and/or check both their websites.

As for travel options that is too open a question and depends on where you are coming from. You will end up on the Oodnadatta Track regardless.

Apart from that the best way to see the lake is from the air and if you do that then book well ahead as things are getting busy up there already

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 358637

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:35

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:35
In my opinion, we won't be seeing water from the usual viewing spots at Halligan's Bay and Level Post Bay. A plane flight is a good option.

Many of the media clips have been shot at Warburton Creek, downstream from Kalmurina Station, where the water is flowing in.
AnswerID: 358650

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:13

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:13
Phil do you know if access is still available to the "average Joe" into Kalmurina now that it's a wildlife reserve? Used to be able to camp along the Warburton for a small fee but unfortunately the closest the station tracks got to the lake was about 80km. (swamp)
It's pretty poor how the media has overstated the reports of the lake filling. Haven't heard of anyone seeing the water from the bank yet & with the peak in the lake due in the next few weeks it's looking increasingly unlikely.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 626721

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:38

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:38
Yep, its been a big media beatup. Especially that Jamie Durie show. Greater than the beatup in 2004! At least in 2000, some people said they could see water in the distance from Halligan's Bay. They see the pictures from the air and from a boat in Warburton Creek (these are both great) but fail to tell people they won't see anything at ground level.

I haven't enquired or heard anything about Kalamurina access.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 626725

Reply By: Just Cruisin - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:55

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:55
With out doubt, seeing it from the air has its own advantages but there are advantages for us to see it from the ground as well. Thanks for the replies to date.

Having never been into Lake Eyre before, it is difficult to find public access areas other than the places mentioned earlier on.

Is there any public access roads between Mungerannie and the Lake along the Warburton Creek? To be able to get into this part of the area would allow us to hopefully get some great photos?
AnswerID: 358661

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:06

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:06
"Mungerannie and the Lake along the Warburton Creek"
Have a look at a map and you will find that that is Kalamurina Station I mentioned above.

It used to be a private pay for use track. I don't know what the situation is now seeing the Station was bought by a conservation organisation in about 2007. It would be worth chasing it up. I don't think you'd get close enough to see the Lake though.

Best viewing point for Lake Eyre is on Muloorina Station on Babbage Peninsula between Belt Bay and Jackboot Bay. This is the deepest part of the lake and resembles a shoreline with great scenery. We were there in 2000, when the Lake had a lot of water, and the manager allowed limited supervised access, primarily through a commercial tour company.
FollowupID: 626716

Follow Up By: Just Cruisin - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:18

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:18
Thanks Phil, will follow up on your tips.

Mick.
FollowupID: 626722

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:45

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:45
I also forgot to state the obvious. Muloorina is a working cattle station with only a couple of staff and I'd expect they are not in a position to handle tourists. So don't be surprised if they turn down requests for access. Getting to Babbage Peninsula is on minor station tracks and involves some cross country work. I would doubt there is enough water in the Lake to warrant a visit.
FollowupID: 626726

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:48

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:48
Spent the weekend flying from Olympic Dam, Mungerannie, Birdsville, Bedourie, Mungerannie, Lake Eyre, William Creek etc
Image Could Not Be Found

The water was just flowing into Belt Bay, which is just near where you drive out from William Creek.

East of the Warburton Groove was dry and there was plenty of water to the west.

I hope that helps and will get some photos up shortly.

Michael A

AnswerID: 358693

Reply By: glenmac - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 07:12

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 07:12
Crackles
I Have just received an email from AWC who own Kalamurina Station and have pasted their response and contact info regarding camping below. You can camp on the property but they are booked up until the end of May.

"Thanks for inquiring about camping at Kalamurina Wildlife Sanctuary.

As you can imagine Lake Eyre in flood has created a high level of interest, and as a result AWC have taken a large number of bookings from people interested in camping at Kalamurina. We are now fully booked for all of April and May and unable to take further bookings at this stage.

However, if you’re interested in visiting from the end of May onwards, then please feel free to contact our Kalamurina Sanctuary Managers after this time to make a booking. Their number is (08) 8675 8310.

Please note that you are unlikely to get a response in the immediate future if you call, as they’re currently spending all their time in the field."

I hope this helps.
Glenn

AnswerID: 358736

Sponsored Links