Favourite Camp Oven Recipes

Submitted: Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 21:51
ThreadID: 6765 Views:35025 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
What are they and what's in them ?

Any alternatives or variations to popular recipes also would be nice.Oh to be retired & wealthy !!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 22:44

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 22:44
Lots o Meat
Lots o Red Wine
Lots o Veggies..

:P
AnswerID: 28799

Follow Up By: haze - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 18:28

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 18:28
Its pretty bloody cool our camp today. No work done, a fair dent made in the "chatou cardboard" a camp oven ticking over with all the above ingredients plus a some garlic and herbs to flavour, but the topping is 4 whopper dumplings!! Put on 10 mins. ago,10 mins. to go.
With luck, good be a good night (no tv out here!)
FollowupID: 20157

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:59

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:59
Allyn we just about put anything into the camp oven and then put it on the side of the fire and let it cook slow an hour or so . Nine times out of ten the kids and wife will eat it so it cant be to bad.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 28867

Reply By: kezza - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 23:29

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 23:29
I do lots of roasts with vegies garlic and anything that is at hand (especially butternut pumpkin - as it lasts and doesnt damage in transit)

Keep damper as simple as possible.

Sometimes I use a bread mix and cook in very old coals (approx 25-35 mins depending on size of loaf and heat in the coals - using a rectangular campoven.)

Where necessary to keep it all cooking slower in hot coals I use a bit of alfoil to line the oven but its a shocker to clean out.
Kes
AnswerID: 28982

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 15:27

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 15:27
Camp oven cooking is great cos you can just toss in almost anything.
Remember the slower cooked the more tender and better tasting it will be.
Often in a group I will ask everyone to contribute 2 or 3 ingredients and then make up a couple of different batches.
Could be roast or curry or stew or whatever. Even works well mixing fresh and tinned stuff together
Best of all is a small amount of meat
a few spuds
a carrot
some garlic
an onion
a bit of pumkin
some curry, herbs, garmin,corrinder,black peppers and any other spices you can find
cooked slowly on warm coles for about 45 mins
serve with some boiled rice ( Pour boiling water over a cup of rice{in a pot} and sit near thew fire while the rest is cooking
both should be ready together
Sit back and enjoy
the simple things are sometimes much better
Bush Bappo's 4WD Club
Get out there & have a look
AnswerID: 29040

Reply By: Groove - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 16:20

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 16:20
We have had great meals in the camp oven.

Some things we have tried that work a treat
Nachos - We line the bottom of the oven with foil, place in corn chips, kidney beans, cheese on top some tomato salsa and its all over in 12 -15 minutes, we then lift the whole lot out of the oven by the foil. This is a great quick and easy snack goes down well with a beer.

We also do pizza using ready a ready made damper and scone packet mix for the base that we get from franklins. This works well because you can put what you like on top and can be done with toppings that do not require any refriigeration if needed, eg tomato paste, anchovies, bottled olives, artichoke hearts, asparagus, salami the list goes on. Makes a pizza with a very thick base and always has the other campers drooling.

Cheers
AnswerID: 29220

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:50

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:50
sounds great - will give the nachos a try for sure
FollowupID: 20415

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:57

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:57
Allyn,

Apart from the usual bread and damper, some of our camping staples from the camp oven are:
Casserole - chuck in whatever you have
Shepherds Pie - Easy and full of good stuff
Spaghetti bolognaise (sauce only)
Pizza - for a base use lebanese bread or damper mix or packet scone mixture.
Bacon & tomato pasta bake - saute onion, capsicum and bacon in butter then add tomato soup and pasta. Cook for half an hour or so, then thicken with plain flour if needed, top with grated cheese and return to coals to brown on top.
Beef stroganoff (hint: make your own sour cream using long life cream and vinegar)
Nacho's - yum! If you're feeling lazy use a tin of baked beans instead of the mince (we like the tomato, roasted garlic and oregano flavour. For sour cream, as above)
Porquepine meatballs - small meatballs rolled in uncooked rice then cropped in tomato soup in the camp oven. Let the whole lot simmer away whilst the meatballs cook and the flavours seep thru.
Roast or Pot roast - for later, use french onion soup mix to flavour liquid. After retrieving cooked meat and veg, just add a bit of plain flour to liquid for instant and delicious gravy.

I'm a big believer in one-pot cooking when camping. Not only is it easy, once everything goes in the camp oven, I can relax by the fire with a wine until it's time to serve dinner. Also, with a finicky toddler I think he eats more of the good stuff when it's all thrown together in one pot rather than being dished up as meat and 3 veg.

Hope you enjoy my recipes.

:o) Melissa
Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 29339

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:07

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:07
Have been making porcupines since I was a teenager and not once have I thought to cook them in a camp oven. I'm packing the car now and going camping ASAP just to try it.
FollowupID: 20441

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:17

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:17
Hmm...all this talk of porcupines (see you had better luck with the spelling than me!) has my mouth watering. Might just be on the menu for dinner tonight, LOL.

BTW, I reckon just about anything you cook at home in the oven or in one opt of the stove top is a candidate for the camp oven.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 20442

Reply By: Julie Bishop - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:46

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:46
G'day Allyn, Think of your Camp oven as a large saucepan. There are some great One Pot Wonder recipes in a book called "A Woman's Look at Camping". Their e-mail address is AWomansLook@bigpond.com.au
AnswerID: 31315

Sponsored Links