caravan registrations

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:58
ThreadID: 67656 Views:3894 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I am cringing at all the probs people are reporting and all the incorrect and dubious advise people are supplying. Remember that Registration violations are criminal and carry severe penalties. When in doubt it IS best to consult with your local RTA. Anyway, in regards to an expired NSW rego ( remember that requirements vary from state to state ), the no. plate, which always remains the property of the RTA, must be returned. If you wish to re register, you will apply for a new plate & rego, firstly you must gain a blue slip inspection cert available at select mechanic / service centres. Ensure your traffic lights are all working including all lenses are not faded, ie amber side lights must appear amber. You have an operating brake mechanism including hand brake and that mech is suitable for that van taking into account its weight. ( there's another thread of information i'll have to post ! ), your tyres are roadworthy, shackle rubbers don't have excessive play, & chassis, A frame & undercarriage do not have any structural rust or cracks. You will also require previous rego papers to ascertain vehicles weight, if you don't you will require a weigh bridge ticket. Lastly you will need proof of purchase, especially if you have just acquired vehicle or have not had any previous rego history with this vehicle. A receipt from previous owner is usually accepted. If like on thread posted some days ago, you have lost details and can't remember, the RTA will assist you in preparing a Statutory Declaration. And NO, please don't provide dodgy info, as suggested on the other thread, you WILL be found out, RTA computers hold a lot of information & history on every vehicle including police notices. Pink slip requirements are diff. PS a van with outer state rego that you want to reg in NSW is classed as unregistered. You can hand in those plates at the NSW RTA and go through the blue slip unregistered vehicle process.
Happy Trails
George
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:50

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:50
Yeag Big Brother George.....

Are we supposed to quiver in our shoes at the prospect of dealing with the NSW RTA?

I for one, am pleased not to live in that Over-governed and Over-taxed State.

Needless to say, you paint a rosy picture of the Public Sector at work. It is a pity it does not always pan out that way and sometimes we mere mortal humans have to be 'inventive' to get around the system which fails us.

But your advice is kind hearted and I am sure lots of people will take note of it.

Cheers
AnswerID: 358674

Follow Up By: George Ladas @ Taree - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:24

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:24
Hi Willem,
No, no one needs to quiver. But the answer to ignorance is not to be inventive. Getting in trouble because you don't know what to do is not a great idea. As a licensed caravan dealer principal for 19 years I've had a lot to do with the RTA and this yes I agree over taxed state, but I have realised that there is a correct way to do everything. I've been able to register, transfer or re-register almost 3000 vans in my time without to much grief, and hope I can pass on some of the knowledge I've picked up on the way. I'm sure that most people would prefer to do the right thing if they knew how and especially if it was just as easy. Please send me a message for any info. Willem, I know exactly what you mean when it comes to rego fees & stamp duty's. Why in this state should we be charged on a new van $300- $400 plus 3% stamp duty, ( eg a new van say $50,000 x 3% = $1500) that with some inspection fees doesn't leave much change from $2000. Yet this same van only costs $300 - $500 to register in other states !?*!
Happy Trails
George

FollowupID: 626731

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:32

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:32
OK George, point taken.

Cheers
FollowupID: 626734

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:30

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:30
Somebody has to pay for the chaos Bob Carr left
AnswerID: 358685

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:08

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:08
Good morning all.
I left NSW "Little Russia" in 1969, when hings were starting to go down hill then,and havent been back since, i live in WA and we dont have the same amount of problems as they have over their.."Goverments dont go broke" ..."they just put up fees and keep us broke"..have a safe Easter on the roads,as i will wate till it's over,and then go for my five day trip.

Cheers for now...William H...Bunbury...WA.

FollowupID: 626785

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:51

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:51
George, I know all the States are totally different, but the problem most often encountered is how to get the registration transferred to you on purchase, when you don't live in that state. The usual advice is to give the address of the caravan park you stay at, or that of a friend or relative, as the residential address while in the state of purchase, together with the home postal address of the state you live in. I don't consider that dodgy, and that is the only advice given by others here i have seen that you can be referring to. I have never seen anyone give advice to use a vehicle or van in an unworthy state - only the contrary.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 358695

Follow Up By: George Ladas @ Taree - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:53

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:53
Hi Motherhen,
As you very correctly state, the requirements vary and considerably between the states, and as I am not the RTA it is best to check with them. Up to a few years ago you could open a post office box in another state and use that address to gain out of state rego even though you resided in NSW, not any more. Reregistering a van in another state is subject to details you can provide and what requirements need to be met in that particular state. eg as you state a relatives address. But that has been rescinded in NSW and other states are following suite. Any RTA can access your drivers licence details to find out where you have stated you reside. AND bear in mind that this information is available nation wide to all transport authorities. Any other address you supply will require you to produce either rate notices showing your name or something else that will satisfy their requirements to prove that you reside there. They have some ridiculous formula now that you must register vehicles you own in the place you reside at least 75%( or there abouts ) of the year, ( proving that is also a dilemma ), where you have or supply multiple addresses. Simply, they are cracking down on people trying to register in cheaper states than where they actually live. Purchasing a van in another state than where you live, will not be able to be re-registered there. You will be required to gain a travelling permit which is limited in time, to travel back to your state of reside and establish new registration there.
And yes, no advise on unworthy state of caravan, simply method & requirements of establishing registration on unregistered vehicle. I am very pleased that many people take the safety aspect of caravanning seriously, and the communication of ideas and general handy hints is fabulous, ( hope I can contribute ). From towing mirrors, stabilising hitches, knowing you towing weight including your ball weight and your vehicles limits, to adjustment of elect brake controllers and load distribution inside your van, all make for safe & enjoyable travelling.
Keep up the great adventures all.
Happy Trails
George
FollowupID: 626749

Follow Up By: George Ladas @ Taree - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 23:37

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 23:37
Hi Motherhen,
Just checked out your blog. Congratulations on owning a Bushtrakker. One of the only true offroaders in our industry. It really gets me going when I see "offroad" decals put on some crap that comes out of some factories. It annoys me no end when some dubious manufacturers can promote their stock as "offroad". Its an insult to the community. Did you know that the majority of warranties will not cover any fault arising from offroad use, and that there is enough fine print to make any fault classified as either customer neglect or abuse. And most people don't know this. I dare anyone to try and get a straight answer about warranty claims arising from offroad use on pretend "offroader's". See how many stipulations they'll come up with. Simply, unless you a purchasing a purpose built van for offroad use ie Bushtrakker, BushMaster, Phoenix etc, that's why you pay up to $100k, others will not handle excessive offroad use.
Bushtrakker is one exception, and has always impressed me, from an unbreakable chassis and undercarriage to one of the most solid frames and connection to chassis I've ever seen. Many people unfortunately don't know about solid timber construction or complete piano hinged doors & cupboards, just to name a few of the many things required to make an offroad van other than a $10 sticker decal saying " offroader". I don't think there is a looser term used in any industry. We can only hope one day RVMAA will regulate and enforce a code of practise here to protect the unknowing general public. Enough said on that.
Looking at your blog, you've had many great adventures in your trakker. Doesn't look that old either, doesn't matter it'll last you for ever. Best wishes & hopefully someday might bump into you round a camp fire somewhere.
Happy Trails
George
FollowupID: 626751

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 00:16

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 00:16
Hi George

I certainly agree with you about some caravans being give 'off road' in their name, when they have disclaimers about rough or corrugated roads voiding warranty. I always say - read the fine print. Someone on this forum took legal action to cancel a sale due to being 'mislead'.

When my husband saw a Bushtracker when we were out camping in 2003, one look at the chassis, and he wouldn't consider anything else. They were hard to find pre-loved in 2004. Ours is an early model being 1998 built, and it stays covered in mud or dust when we travel so it can be proud of where it has been. I think the first few came out on the market 1996 or 1997. A 1997 model is the oldest i have seen. There are a few 1998 ones out there too.

I'm still working on my blogs from last year; Gibb River Road, Tanami, around Alice Springs and the MacDonnell Ranges, and back to WA via Uluru and the Great Central Road. A marvellous trip, but I lost count of the corrugations, but there were thousands of kilometres of them.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 626756

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:43

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:43
George,

The rule of thumb in so far as where you live is concerned, is the Electoral Roll. I speak from experience.

I live in Broken Hill and I have to get my van checked for rego. each year, which is a real pain in the backside, paticularly, as the rego. expires in July, when I'm usually away.

It is unbelieveable to see the vehicles in this place that are owned & operated by locals, bearing SA plates. They provide an address in SA that is usually family, but live here. See you don't need to get the vehicle inspected each year there, so some of the mechanical junk you see about is beyond comprehension, blowing smoke, dripping oil, crook tyres, and rust.

A number of years ago a fellow was fatally injured near my place, when the nearside 'U' bolts securing the front axle of a 1970 Toyota FWD came adrift. Yeah, the vehicle was bearing SA plates. Had it have been registered in NSW and checked annually, he would probably be still with us.

I know the RTA can be a pain and we are overtaxed, no doubt, but gee, I'm no mechanic, and I'm happy to have by vehicles checked.

Dick

FollowupID: 626775

Follow Up By: DIO - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:14

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:14
'It is unbelieveable to see the vehicles in this place that are owned & operated by locals, bearing SA plates. They provide an address in SA that is usually family, but live here. See you don't need to get the vehicle inspected each year there, so some of the mechanical junk you see about is beyond comprehension, blowing smoke, dripping oil, crook tyres, and rust. '

What a load of CROK !!!!! Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn !
FollowupID: 626776

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:21

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:21
Come and have a look then and open your yes up!
FollowupID: 626777

Follow Up By: Member -Chops - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 12:30

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 12:30
Same thing happens on the border towns such as Mildura Buronga. Registered at Mildura address but people live in Buronga. Avoids the annual inspections. My wife used to live across the border (Before we got married) Registered her car in Vic at my address. Saved her a fortune. Come to think of it I still pay for her car reg.
FollowupID: 626807

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 14:14

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 14:14
Yeah, those people who live in Broken Hill are out of control.

I believe that some of them even have their clocks set to the same time as South Australia.

Whatever next !!

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 626815

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 14:21

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 14:21
It's terrible, and we only get the news from SA too.

For a lad from NSW this 'crow eater' stuff is a bit to hard to cope with.

But we get used to it, the advantages of S.A. coupled with the lack of advantages from NSW.
FollowupID: 626816

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:19

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:19
Hi George, Do you have any recomendations on how a non-resident person can purchase a vehicle in Australia for touring ? They have no residential or 'garage' address.

AnswerID: 358751

Sponsored Links