further to thread 67454 Jackaroo TD 3.0

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:07
ThreadID: 67657 Views:2243 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, just thought I would update the thread 'The Old Jackaroo 3.0 TD problem'
My Jackaroo started running roughly, after I owned it for just over 1000 klm's, I thought I had better tell you the results. For those that don't know, it is a 1999 model 3.0 TD,,, the one with the injector recall problems.
Sure enough, the vehicle had the recalls done as advised, by the previous owner, so I put it in for repair at Kelly Holden Cardiff (Newcastle area). Great service, and running as new again, but at a $$$ cost.
When it started running badly, I got a service from my local mechanic,,, good thorough service, but no improvement. Took it to Kelly Holden (dealer),,, result: diagnosed a buggered injector (#4), repaired (replaced) and running great again. Total cost of the problem: service by local mechanic $394 + drain fuel (75 litres), replace injector $992,,, total including $90 for lost fuel $1476. The car is now thoroughly serviced, and at least 1 injector has a 50k / 2 yrs warranty. OK , lots of dollars I could ill afford after just purchasing the car, but,,, what can you do?? As you can see, I am not a member yet, I have been waiting on the bill from the dealer to see if I had any funds left...lol. Assuming the car runs well now for a while, I intend purchasing the 'Ultimate Navigator Pack', which includes membership... might have to wait till the bank balance resurfaces after this dunking! Thanks to all that offered opinions and advice. Bushwhacker
P.S. The 'Drain Fuel' cost was due to water and muck in the fuel filter, found during service by my local guy) I guess the previous owner had not regularly had the car serviced,...notice the lol in there... no use crying, just get on with it! Bushie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:16

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:16
Sorry to hear of your problems, at least it is fixed now and hope the other injectors don't play up.

I just bought a genuine tojo air filter and fuel filter, Cost $130, now that's a rip off. I can buy 4 genuine oil filters for my 6.5l diesel for $40.

Trouble with vehicles is the bloody things all cost dollars.

AnswerID: 358666

Reply By: Member - Barnray (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:23

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:23
I think you have been had, Did he give the fuel back after letting settle and removing the good fuel from on top. How many injectors were replaced, what type of service did he do. Mate more info needed. Water will settle to the bottom of any tank. I use to do aircraft water checks at Mascot, all we did was to crack the taps and fill a bottle until no more water came out which in most cases was about a litre. With a car tank without a drain plug you have to syphon out the fuel which will leave a lot of water behind or remove the tank and drain completely. But the fuel will settle and water will stay on the bottom of any drain tin. Barnray
AnswerID: 358683

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:54

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:54
Hi Barnray, thanks for your concern... my local mechanic offered to seperate the 'good fuel' from the water.. I might be mistaken, but not knowing the history of the car, I opted not to risk putting contaminated fuel back through the system. The sample he got from the fuel filter also contained what I can only describe as a red dust, like the pigment you put in concrete to colour it, stuff that went hard when it dried, maybe red dust from the Oxley or something like that.... I just didnt want it back in the tank. Like I said, I don't know the history of the car. I just figured that for the cost of the fuel, it might be a good investment not to put it back in. Out of a $1500 repair, the $90 of fuel is about 6 % of the cost of that, not too much a cost compared to what I perceived as a risk of further contamination. Please remember that at that time, I saw a glass jar 1/2 full of water, and thought that was my problem, contaminated fuel, so I basically said, 'out with it'. I may have been wrong, but I was offered the option, he didnt try to rip me off, but I decided to err on the side of caution. It was also a bit of bad luck that I had just filled the tank, and used perhaps 10 litres when the problem arose. Thanks again for your concern, Bushie
FollowupID: 626741

Reply By: Member - Barnray (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:04

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:04
The red dust could be bacteria that will develops in diesel fuel tanks, but I agree to be cautious is the best bet, My apologies to your mechanic. Barnray
AnswerID: 358699

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:22

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:22
No worries, Barnray, always good to hear any sensible opinion. Obviously you don't know my mechanic, and it was good of you to show concern, and warn me of a possible rip off. I wasnt aware of the bacteria thing though, more knowledge from the forum. Thanks again Bushie
FollowupID: 626744

Sponsored Links