Goldstream Star 2 Camper electrics

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 15:50
ThreadID: 67686 Views:5781 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there

recently got a second hand 2005 goldstream camper and am looking for some advice on the electrical/charging side of things.

The camper came as standard with a deep cell battery/anderson plug and a 3 stage charger.

I am running a hilux with dual batteries and am looking at keeping the battery on the camper charged when not sitting in a caravan park.

I though the Anderson plug wiring would feed into the battery and keep it charged but the cable looks as if it just runs the internal lights in the camper, is this normal?

There is an isolator switch which reads

Position 1 -Internal lights/outside lights running from van battery

Position 2- Car battery

The trailer plug (7 PIN) has marked that number 2 pin is a power lead for the lights and fridge but is only 4mm- would this be what the position 2 on the isolator is for and would this be big enough to run the 3 way fridge.

Any advice on what actually does what would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boobook2 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 16:25

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 16:25
Mine has a 3 way switch, battery, car and both which I use all the time. It connects the anderson plug at the front to the camper battery ( and everything else).

Surely the anderson plug can be connected to the camper battery, otherwise how does it charge when traveling?

The 12v for the fridge is wired totally sperately. It comes from the aux / reverse pin on the 7 pin plug. It is supposed to only be powered when the car is running. The cable is not large enough and I will replace it ( one day). It is thicker than the other wires though.
AnswerID: 358820

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 16:25

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 16:25
I am making some rough guesses here as I can't actually see your wiring... Does the charger run off 240 Volts or does it have a 12 Volt input? Is the input hard wired in already? If it is, then it probably wired to the trailer plug. One way to find out... You will need to check if your trailer plug on the vehicle has a hot wire connected to pin 2 first. hook it all up, use multi meter to check batt voltage at the van batt. eg 12.0V. Then start car (with the idle up) check batt volts again... if 13.8+volts then its getting the charge from your vehicle. 4mm seems pretty light though for a "hot wire". Hope this helps,
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 358821

Follow Up By: Pembytom - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 18:19

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 18:19
Fred

The charger runs off 240, it is plugged into a 4 way socket (240V), I have tried tracing the Anderson plug wiring on the trailer it goes underneath the trailer and into some cabinets that I would have to rip apart to see into.

I have no power (Hot wire) at the 7 pin plug, yes though that 4mm was way too light to run a fridge that looks like pulling 10amps (according to a book)

Because i prefer the bush camping 240 is not an option and I will have to use an inverter to keep the kids happy (TV)

Probably going to run a cable from the hilux aux battery to a new anderson plug whcih will go straight to the camper battery, that should allow the car (When running) to send some charge to the camper battery.
FollowupID: 626855

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 16:26

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 16:26
There is no standard for any companies products and any way the owners often modify them during their ownership. Suggest you trace out the wiring even if you have to pull things apart a little. Often having someone to assist helps.

If the cable from pin 2 is 4 mm auto cable then the fridge will not operate very effectively on that. There is probably only around 2 sq mm of coper in the cable. SeeSite Link. You will probably need around 6 sq mm cable to operate the fridge effectively. Then when you upgrade the cable you will have to upgrade the trailer plug and socket if you have the small round one ot the flat 7 pin one - their contacts are only rated to carry 5 A - not the 10 - 15 A that the fridge will draw. If you have the flat 7 pin then upgrade to the 12 pin model, that way you will be able to plug other trailers with 7 pin flat plugs into that and not have to install 2 sockets.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 358822

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 16:32

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 16:32
Forgot to add - as the camper has a 3 stage battery charger installed and if mains power is easily applied to the camper - the easiest way of maintaining your battery is just keep power to your van.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 626833

Reply By: Member - Matt H (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 21:51

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 21:51
Hi Pembytom,

I ask this question a few months back as I have a 2007 Goldstream Storm off-road camper trailer.

I contacted Goldstream directly and they cannot supply a wiring diagram for their trailers!

Mine hasn't got a battery fitted, and I wanted to install one, but they were less than helpful when I ask for a wiring diagram. Not available they said. I'm in the process of cct testing and annotating all the wires in the hope I can decipher their schematics, including battery switching.

I bought their product because I believe it was better than the Jayco equivilant (in my case I could have bought the Jayco product for $17,000 LESS), but in my opinion, their after sales service SUCKS in this respect - and I told them so. That was before the the recession that is starting now.

I wonder if their attitude has changed?

Anyone from Goldstream care to comment?

Or better still email me a wiring diagram of a 2007 Goldstream Storm camper, and I might even change my mind!

Matt
AnswerID: 358870

Sponsored Links