Oil centrifuges

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 20:21
ThreadID: 67691 Views:7370 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experiences with oil centrifuges on diesel engines, good, bad or otherwise? Apparently Tojo's had them standard back in the Landcruiser dark ages (45 series?). Also some Landy's had / have them. Just wondering as there is a unit available called a SPINNER II. But if it's worth it I could get an old toyota one and chuck it on.

Louie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 20:55

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 20:55
Yes,
and they work very, very well pulling at carbon from the oil, have had them on cats and mid speed Rustons.

Rustons had centrifuges + oil heaters to burn of any contaminates.

The oil in the Rustons wasn't changed at all upto 35000hrs and they certainly pushed out the horsepower, all 4000 of them.

Turbo boost was 40 psi and the charge air came out at 300 degrees C, after going through the intercoolers it came back to around 55 degrees C.

Have a safe one.
AnswerID: 358861

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 20:59

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 20:59
Hi Louie

A mate of mine had a HJ47 Troopie I think it was a 1982 or 3 diesel obviously 2H. It had a centrifugal oil filter in addition to the standard replaceable element, I don't know if it came standard or if someone fitted it aftermarket. It looked?? standard. When he cleaned it there was a fair buildup of very fine material so I guess it was working. Whether the foreign matter was large enough to cause any problems I don't know because AFAIK Mr Toyota didn't continue with them. I would think that the black sooty gunk that discolours your oil was being removed in a similar manner that a bypass filter does.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 358862

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 21:12

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 21:12
In the late 'sixties/early 'seventies, I was driving (& serviceing) a Toyota D-series truck that had a centrifugal oil filter (or "cleaner", I guess would be a more apt term)..

When dismantled for cleaning, the innards reminded me very much of the ol' (hand cranked) cream separators... anyone remember them?? (showing my age now;-)))

Must have worked OK, that ol' truck was still running around 20 years after I left that job.. (might be still running for all I know;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 358866

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 22:48

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 22:48
Hi Ed

Remember when I was about 12. I got banned from using it - had the crank going that fast the bell nearly melted. LOL. But oh boy didn't I make great thick cream !!

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 626879

Reply By: nari - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 23:41

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 23:41
We had a 1999 Scania truck, they run oil centrifuges. Always had a layer of built up grime inside, suposed to be very efficient.
AnswerID: 358885

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 07:45

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 07:45
We had oil centrifuges on Mirlees engines. It was a long time ago but I believe that they were dry sump engines. We just sent an oil sample once a month to the refinery for analysis. We rarely changed the oil only cleaned out the centrifuge. Mind you these were 5mw engines running at a constant speed.
AnswerID: 358905

Reply By: Flywest - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 16:47

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 16:47
Your right about the spinner filters (Centrifuge).

I tried for a year or so solid to source an old landcruiser one from the wreckers - no go, so gave up.

Old Fiat marine diesels used to have them and they would get about 2 times the operating hours of other brands due purely too how well the centrifuge separated carbon from the oil.

I believe that the Diesel Landrover Discos now have them - as a "replaceable throw away canister" configuration where you buy a new disposable spinning cannister for $15 every 30,000 km's or somesuch.

The ONLY downside I can find in retro fitting them to other diesels - seems to be the requirement that they have to gravity feed oil back to the sump - after it is pressure fed into the spinnner at the start!

Where to mount them high enough inside the engine bay - to gravity feed the oil back to the sump and how to get them connected into the sump (banjo bolt as a drain plug)? are the two big issues.

When I can work out how to do this - both the son & I intend to fit one each to his TD-1 80 series and My F 250 7.3.

I already have the sub micron bypass filtering but would like to have the spinner as well.

Nuthin beats clean oil for diesel engine longevity.

Thinking of buying the Disco mount and disposable cartidge spinner filter as a spare part maybe from Landrover dealer?

It might require the manufacture/plumbing maybe of a dedicated "exported oil filters manifold" where the engine main filter, bypass filter, and spinner filter, ALL bolt on within easey reach for simple oil changes.

I like the idea of the disposable Landrover cartridge spinner filter, because having cleaned the old marine Fiat one - it is a dirty damn messy job, that the novelty of which would soon wear off, - a $15 throw away disposable element sounds much betterer!

It's a pity someone doesnt make a kit you can buy for each make of deisel vehicle and self fit them.

Engineering costs for machning exported oil manifolds etc isn't cheap!

One newish cray boat I am familiar with had an exported oil manifold plumbed in, to make oil changes easier - but the vibrations of the twin 750 hp turbo Cat C 12's diesels thru the hull - would "unscrew" the normal filter off the exported manifold, and spray hot oil all over the electronic fly by wire engine control system, (not to mention filling the bilge with hot sump oil) on a regular basis - leaving us at sea without any controls (lotsa fun - not!).

Didn't matter how tight you screwed the filter on at the start - even tried changing brands of filter - they would still work loose!!

In the end we wrapped an old T shirt around it and twisted a long screwdriver up in the tee shirt to tighten its grip and tied the end of the screwdriver off to a hull frame with cray pot rope - and it worked - allowed us to finnish the Abrolhos Island cray season and get the boat back to Geraldton for propper engineering/mahining repairs to the manifold.

Nothings ever easy working with hot oil under pressure & it's worse at sea.

Cheers
AnswerID: 359208

Sponsored Links