One for Willem ;-) : Helena Spring

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 00:37
ThreadID: 67701 Views:2710 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi @ll, especially Willem,

I am looking for some information on the access tracks to Helena Spring from the CSR.

We will travel the CSR by end of May/beginning of June, and I would like to know if you see a chance to get to Helena Spring. We will travel with two cars (Toyota HZJ 75, well prepared for outback travelling, including Iridium satphone, each car carrying 100 litres of extra diesel).

Which of the two tracks would you recommend, the southern one or the northern one? How much time would it take to go out there from your experience? I know that this depends on a lot of factors and that it is always harder to use this kind of track if you are among the first people to go there in the season. Just want to get some idea.

Thanks a lot,

Cheers from bloody boring Dortmund/Germany,

Juergen

German by Birth, but Aussie by Heart!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 06:10

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 06:10
Juergen,

There have been a few members who've been out that way recently. Member Equinox (Alan) is one. I recall a post from late last year as well. Trust the trip planning is coming along.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 358898

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 10:16

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 10:16
It has been over six years now since I was there. I remember finding and losing the track a few times before losing it altogether at the end. However I was on a quad-bike and the view is different from lower down.

I had a half an idea to cut across to it from Wilson Cliffs last year, I probably would have made it, but thought better of it - Am I getting to old??? lol...

Look for the white post between Well 41 and 42.

Cheers
Alan

Image Could Not Be Found

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 626936

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 06:16

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 06:16
Juergen

I do not have updates on these tracks.

In 1994 we were driving solo out there and decided not to take the southern track as it was too overgrown. As it was, we had some trouble getting back over the highest dune on the Canning even with 15psi in the tyres (I dd not want to go to a lower psi for fear of pulling the tyres off the rim)

Image Could Not Be Found

The countryside is very prettry especially when all the grevillea bushes aer in flower though I cannot recommend going there as there is nothing at the end of the track but a tea tree swamp (sometimes dry). I had to dig the sprinmg open and then close it again after giving some of the local birds a drink. The water was unfit for human consumption as it was very salty.

Cheers
AnswerID: 358899

Reply By: farmer112 - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 00:10

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 00:10
Hi Mick, Alan and Willem,

thank you very much for your valuable feedback!

Cheers and enjoy the Easter holiday,

Juergen

German by Birth, but Aussie by Heart!
AnswerID: 359041

Sponsored Links