If you’re thinking of placing an Ad to sell something, this is the place

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:03
ThreadID: 67719 Views:3528 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I haven’t sold the product I advertised as yet, but I’ve had more enquiries than the $140 wasted on the trading Post.

The big difference seems to be that exploroz members know what they want and appreciate quality.

It’s an interesting exercise in human behaviour. I’ve had some characters coming around here saying, I had a look at xxxxx and it was only $6,000. Why are you asking twice the price? You feel like telling them to f*&% off.

Then you get the fella who rings constantly, making dates and never turns up.

There was one Shirla (and this is no lie) who was so fixated on the colour, she asked me if I’d repaint it for her!

Any way fellas, have a good Easter break.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ [wa] - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:47

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:47
Kim,
I suppose putting a 'discrete' notice here is the ideal way to get it out in front of the forum readers and noticed, may have been better a month or so back, as those looking to buy a CT for the Easter break would have have bought theirs by now ?

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 358987

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:59

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:59
No mate, that wasn’t the intention, but rather the buyer behaviour and promoting this site as an advertising option to others.

If you look at my post there was no mention of what the product was.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 626999

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 17:47

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 17:47
Hi Kim

I think its just the current economic climate - nobody buying - all too scared of what 'could' happen.

I have an ad in Trader, also posted in carsales.com.au and rvpoint.com.au. Realistic prices and not one enquiry so far. e.g. car is priced at bottom of Redbook valuation.

Guess it boils down to how quick one wants to sell.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 358998

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:08

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:08
Gidday Mal

That surprises me a bit. I’ve had a lot of enquiries from the web site, but I’m not going to sell the product for nothing. It can sit there until the cows come home if I don’t get a fair price.

Anyway, the post was to encourage others to use the site as an advertising medium and take up the benefits of membership.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 627004

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 23:00

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 23:00
Kim

My reply was not meant to put down any of the advertising media currently used. I like Trader - refer to it often. Even used it to make a recent purchase from a member in NSW.

I too hope others will also see the benefits of membership and use the site. Yep, got a motive for that one - I have a stack of stuff from a wrecked (six month old) triple axle caravan that I will be advertisimg - great forum for it.

Like you, I expect a fair price for what I am selling.

We just have to hang in there.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627048

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 17:56

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 17:56
Kim,

Know exactly what you are on about.

Have house on the market and we know it is in a 'slow' bracket but:

Land perfect House too big

Land has too many trees. House too small

House perfect. Land too big

House great but would have to take out three trees to build another 200sqm shed.

Too many trees. No where for a horse.

Too secluded.

Too 70's

Why don't they just say I can't afford that!

Everyone is slightly twisted except you and me and to be honest I'm starting to worry about you.

Kevin J

AnswerID: 359000

Reply By: toyotabits.com - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:25

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:25
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 359002

Reply By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:44

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:44
I put the storage unit out of my old GU on this site a couple of months back....2 weeks and 1 inquiry but he bought it and to boot he drove all the way down from Brisbane and back in a 3 day weekend to pick it up. Worth every bit of the $19 (I think) for the ad.
AnswerID: 359006

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:53

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:53
There is something about people at the moment not knowing what the future will bring.
With tonights new on 7 saying that we are now catching up with the rest of thewoprld andrtheir will be 1 milliomn out of work in Aus by end 2009.

Its not only the selling bit as last week I offered one member some free Anderson Plug safety boots and dust caps and got no response but someone else emailed me from Queensland and said they have been looking for safety boots and offered to buy them so I gave the boots to them so at least someone read the post and thought it was OK.
Ian
AnswerID: 359007

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 20:07

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 20:07
Gidday Ian

I remember your post, and good on you for making the offer. It could be that that many people don't understand the value of dust covers.

This is getting off the point a bit, but in all the so called doom and gloom, there are still many businesses out there doing very well at the moment.

I’m seriously thinking about investing some money in Boulia, and would use this site to market the product.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 627019

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 21:17

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 21:17
Kim
That idea can pay dividends as I have found that EO gets good search engine reaction as the posting I made in the thread about the Boots and Caps came up on the first page when I input Powerstream so there is definate value for marketing purposes if you go ahead.

The search engines appear to pick up cross references with high profile sites.

Keep overheads low and dont tie yourself in to a bank or a landlord then you do what you want because you want to not because you have to and if you do nothing it costs nothing and that way you can survive through most conditions.

Good luck with what do propose.
Ian
FollowupID: 627031

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 19:39

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 19:39
Kim, why not tell us in the ad why you're selling it ? It's obviously quality gear that's virtually unused at a fair price, so my first question would be "What's wrong with it ?"
Just a thought....
AnswerID: 359013

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 20:32

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 20:32
Footy

Read the above. The post is about recommending this site as an advertising medium. Nothing more or less.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 627022

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 08:25

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 08:25
Kim, yes I understand that. But I was merely suggesting how you might make the ad , not the thread, more attractive.

FollowupID: 627067

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 00:06

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 00:06
yes i agree put our camper up for sale 2 days sold with people waiting to hear back if first person didnt buy
cheers
AnswerID: 359040

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 02:16

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 02:16
Yes but there is some people who obviuosly dont wanna sell there stuff. Sent a couple of messages off to someone enquiring about ad in Trader and still after 2 months yet to get a response. That really ticks me off.
FollowupID: 627051

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 07:43

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 07:43
I agree Kim.

I have had quite a few enquiries about the ad I have placed however we are currently mobile (carrying the advertised product with us) and to date all have been from interstate!

I would also recommend it as the place to advertise and I used my member ad so there was no cost.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 359052

Reply By: trainslux - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:24

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:24
I contacted a seller several times asking about a product here, and recieved no reply.

Others on here have been great, and this is the first place I start to look.

Trains
AnswerID: 359084

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 21:30

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 21:30
I agree Kim, it is a good medium to sell products. It's interesting how economic times have changed tho. My very first ad over a year ago was my old but much loved 80 series. It went to a caller from the next town north on the same day I posted the ad.

Next, a mixed bag of stuff I had progressively sold over a few months.

I now have a pricey item and, despite 1000's of looks, no enquiries. So I do think that people are watching their finances.

It doesn't alter the fact that the Trader section gives good exposure.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 359141

Sponsored Links