slick50 oil additive

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 13:34
ThreadID: 6772 Views:11758 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks.......Has anyone used slick50 oil additive in their oil,i was thinking of using it .I have a 100series 4.2 diesel.I have 120ks on the clock.Does anyone know if there are any problems using it (other than the cost of buying it).
Regards Jaksun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kezza - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 16:36

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 16:36
Used to use slick 50 in all my vehicles when it came out in the late 70s, now use Penrite seems to do a similar job. Always noticed the engine ran better (idled faster) and got a marginal but noticable increase in fuel economy. With the original slick 50 I thought there were some issues for some motors Im not sure if it was a glazing issue or something (put a teflon coating on all wear areas) maybe somebody else can remember what it was - but the product has improved since then, I never had a problem. Not aware of any problems now (25 years later - must be OK)

Kes
AnswerID: 28832

Follow Up By: Paul from Australian Wilderness Tours - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 19:54

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 19:54
Penrite oil is too thick and does not have enough detergent.
Some people swear by it, But my experience has been that it is so thick that it affects fuel economy and causes toyota diesels to burn oil by gumming up the rings. Penrite does seem to stay in good condition under extreme conditions. but the really got to add more detergent
FollowupID: 20095

Follow Up By: kezza - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 00:50

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 00:50
Paul

Too Thick?
Penrite comes in many grades,
Your comment is misleading.
Quite the opposite I find Penrite is very good at de sludging all engines.

Kes
FollowupID: 20113

Follow Up By: Paul from Australian Wilderness Tours - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:36

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:36
Penrite recommends HPR Diesel for the 1HZ Diesel motor in the 80 Series Landcruiser, It is a 20W60 Weight oil. It gummed up my engines.
and increase my fuel consumption by 2% (tested over 150,000Km in 4 Landcruisers) Strangely I have noticed Penrite are now recommending HPR Light Diesel for the 100 Series Landcruiser, which has essentially the same engine as the 80 Series. I gather they have worked out that HPR Diesel is the wrong oil. If you want to use Penrite I would give the light diesel a go. But the HPR diesel definately gummed up my engines.
These are the only two grades of penrite you could ever consider pouring into a toyota diesel motor.
FollowupID: 20193

Reply By: Paul from Australian Wilderness Tours - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 19:46

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 19:46
I have spent a lot of time investigating the advantages of Slick 50 and other oil additives it would appear that the advantages of any additives are at best are questionable.
I have operated Toyata Diesels for over 15 Years many have reached 400,000km
With Slick 50 and without. Made no difference for me.
Maybe slick 50 does make a difference after 400,000Km But I never found out.
If you want your engine to last longer (especially Diesels) Change your Oil and Filter regularly. After 400,000Km my engines still did not burn oil and still had good compression
Use a good quality diesel Oil, that has a fair bit of detergent in it. I have found Castrol GTV Diesel to be excellent. If your toyota diesel starts burning oil its normally caused by the fact you are using crap oil which is gumming up the engine.
Or your injectors are dirty and they are washing the oil off the Cylinder wall.
Regular Oil Changes (probably every 5000Km on the 100 Series) will make your engine last a lot longer than slick 50. A bit of injector cleaner and 10,000Km of decent oil will often get rid of oil consumption problems and reduce wear incredibly in the 4.2 Diesel.
Good Luck

AnswerID: 28844

Reply By: Bob from Off Road Safaris - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 21:05

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 21:05
I would question any claims of benefits from using oil additives unless they were scientifically conducted tests. Anecdotal reports such as the engine idling faster or improved fuel economy just don't stand up for me. Just consider the power produced by an engine and the forces needed to propel a vehicle. Then consider how little effect a slightly thicker/thinner/more slippery lubricant would have - not measurable in my view. I was once told that removing the fan blades on my HQ Holden would give an extra 4mpg. Tested it carefully - same conditions with and without blades - no difference!!
AnswerID: 28854

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:37

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:37
Does this mean your cynical to all technolocical improvements made and claimed by Holden ??,, had a HB Torana bought second hand in 69 for $850 ,only ever ran on 3 cylinders ,put on 50,000 miles in 18months, then a can of slick50 and was in awe of the POWER increase,,.. ;) ;)
FollowupID: 20133

Follow Up By: kezza - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 23:22

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 23:22
Well bob I suggest you try these things for yourself before offering your opinion. When Slick 50 was the rage earlier on it was nearly always necessary to wind back the idle speed. It obviously reduced friction inside the engine.

Wether or not it made the engine last longer or what effect it had on the internals - I dont know as none of us recall pulling down a slicked engine.

As I dont use it now I cannot make any other comments - except to keep the record straight.

Kes
FollowupID: 20186

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:32

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:32
I tried slick-50, 20 years ago and will not go near the bleep ever again. It cost me an engine, and of course, they said it was not their fault either.
AnswerID: 28898

Reply By: jaksun - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 14:27

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 14:27
Thanks for all your replies guys,there doesn't seem any advantage in using slick50.
Regards Jaksun.
AnswerID: 28906

Reply By: ToyMotor - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 20:38

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 20:38
Oils additives, such as Slick 50, are a load of crap. Do a web search, there's some good stuff out there. Particularly amusing is the study by Briggs and Stratton to debunk the "this engine was treated with XXXX and now runs without oil" demo you often see at shows.

Cheers
AnswerID: 28955

Reply By: Gunnadoo- Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 06:09

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 06:09
http://www.xs4all.nl/~chris/slick50.html
check that one out
AnswerID: 28993

Reply By: pathfinder - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:26

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:26
one oil additive (can be used for motors, gearboxes, diffs, swivel housings etc) which may have benefit is oil stabiliser (e.g. Moreys) which improves the adherence and viscosity characterstics of the oil...or at least it's supposed to... Any comment?
AnswerID: 29020

Reply By: Jol from Direct Four WD Awareness - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 22:06

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 22:06
its good shi... try it keeps the metal bits slippery. then use a good quality oil
AnswerID: 29668

Reply By: crowie - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 16:58

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 16:58
Jakson (anyone else) Read On

PTFE the active ingredient in Slick 50 and otherwise known as Teflon which is a Dupont trademark is a solid which is added to engine oil and coats the moving parts of the engine.

However, such solids seem even more inclined to coat non-moving parts, like oil passages and filters. After all, if it can build up under the pressures and friction exerted on a cylinder wall, then it stands to reason it should build up even better in places with low pressures and virtually no friction.

This conclusion seems to be borne out by tests on oil additives containing PTFE conducted by the NASA Lewis Research Center, which said in their report, "In the types of bearing surface contact we have looked at, we have seen no benefit. In some cases we have seen detrimental effect. The solids in the oil tend to accumulate at inlets and act as a dam, which simply blocks the oil from entering. Instead of helping, it is actually depriving parts of lubricant" (Rau).

In defense of Slick 50, tests done on a Chevy 6 cylinder engine by the University of Utah Engineering Experiment Station found that after treatment with the PTFE additive the test engine's friction was reduced by 13.1 percent, the output horsepower increased from 5.3 percent to 8.1 percent, and fuel economy improved as well. Unfortunately, the same tests concluded that "There was a pressure drop across the oil filter resulting from possible clogging of small passageways." Oil analysis showed that iron contamination doubled after the treatment, indicating that engine wear increased (Rau).

You makes your chises. But I recommend you stick to a good oil and regular oil changes. Don't be a sucker for oil additives and fuel savers.
AnswerID: 29717

Sponsored Links