Fridge Compressors

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 20:16
ThreadID: 67726 Views:8689 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what type of compressor Engel used in the "old green and yellow fridges" ?

They currently use a Sawafuji Swing Motor, but I am wondering if the change to the grey series fridge considered with the change in reliability - was a different compressor used ?

Also, on a one for one basis - would it be fair to say there is little difference between a Sawafuji Swing Motor and a Danfoss BD35 ?

The actual compressors appear to be equally reliable - both are known to have their failures.

It would also appear where electronics are added to a fridge - that it creates a reliability week point.

Can anyone provide comment on these assumptions ?

Thanks
LR
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mowing - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 20:33

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 20:33
Hi Jack, Are you looking at buying a fridge?
As far as I am aware, the old olive green coloured Engels used the swing motor. Engel is manufactured by Sawafuji (the whole thing not just the motor) ie Sawafuji is Engel.
As far as electronics go, the Danfoss has a electronic controller and is easy to change over. Is that it's weak point, No as it has proved reliable over many years. As far as digital readouts and things go, I can't comment as I have never used such a fridge.
Engel is good and so is Trailblaza, Autofridge etc. I just prefer the Aussie made stuff ie Trailblaza and Autofridge and a few others.

Hope this helps

Mark

AnswerID: 359025

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 22:08

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 22:08
Hi Jack
Yep, I bought a "green & Yellow" Engel in 1984. It had a swing motor.
Cheers from Allan
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359036

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 22:59

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 22:59
PS
Take a look at www.engelaustralia.com.au and select "History"
Allan
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 627047

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 08:22

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 08:22
We run 2 engels - old green and yellow one is 17 years old and the "new" one is now about 7 years old. Both have run like clockwork without a problem, although there is a slight rattle in the newer one.

AFAIK, the additional electronics that have been added to the later models are the temperature controlled fan and a battery operated temp gauge. It doesn't have a low voltage cutout, which seems to cause some issues with other brands. Are there any extra electronics I've missed?
AnswerID: 359055

Follow Up By: Jack - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 09:13

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 09:13
Hi Phil,

You make an interesting comment about the "rattle". Mine is a bit younger than yours and the compressor has developed a rattle. This is extremely annoying, as the fridge is mounted inside the vehicle, although the performance is fine.

There appears to be no practical solution for this problem. If it was mounted in the back of a ute, I would have never known that a rattle existed!

I am just trying to weigh up all my options ??

Regards
FollowupID: 627072

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:35

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:35
I have had a grey engel since 95 and it developed the rattle around 98 and still has that rattle but is working perfectly at keeping the liquid of life cold. This fridge spent its first 5 years in the back of a dual cab so had a rough time it now lives in the rear of the patrol and although I can hear it when all is stopped I do not find it intrusive.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 627086

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:12

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:12
About 5 yrs ago we bought a 57L combi, and it too, developed a rattle, which got progressively worse to the point where it was really, really bad.... This was in the middle of a trip, & the bl@@dy thing sounded like it was about to go into orbit, so I opened 'er up, and had a "dig around" in there, and determined that the condenser cooling fan had "spat it's guts"..
dis-connected said fan ('fridge still worked fine), & when we got home, took 'fridge to the local Authorised Service Agent, who confirmed that the fan was knackered, and that he'd replaced quite a few of 'em.. This was duly replaced (warranty), and she don't rattle no more;-)...

So, those of you with that annoying rattle, you may wish to try the "fan dis-connect trick", and see if that makes it go away....

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 627088

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 18:40

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 18:40
I took things apart on several occasions thinking I could find a simple solution. But the rattle in mine is definitely coming from inside the compressor, so is only curable by replacing the compressor. I understand that this will not affect reliability, so I've taken it no further. Because the fridge lives in the canopy, the noise only bothers us when listening to how quiet the night is then it comes on! The fan is not the cause in my case - it only comes on at higher temperatures anyway on the F-series.
FollowupID: 627115

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 08:11

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 08:11
Phil, my investigations says the slight rattle is related to the way the compressor is mounted...my engel (an inherited one) does it and I've been saying for ages that I'll fix it .....one day...(why do it today if I can put it off till tomorrow)....somehow I dont think it will ever get done.....lol
now that I am getting older (wiser) and have "selective hearing" it doesnt bother me as much...(learnt to live with it)
FollowupID: 627420

Reply By: Jack - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:10

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:10
Sounds like the rattles are a common problem with the Engels ?

Do the Danfoss compressors suffer similar rattles ?

Thanks
AnswerID: 359082

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 18:45

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 18:45
No, the Danfoss are very quiet. Its all plusses and minuses. The Engels have a good track record for reliability over many years - compressor noise is just a nuisance. The Danfoss compressor fridges are quiet, but have other problems - nothing's perfect.
FollowupID: 627116

Reply By: Jack - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:46

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:46
Hi Phil,

You suggested that Danfoss driven fridges have other problems, thats why I mentioned "electronics" in the initial post. I am trying to determine whether the Danfoss problems are electrical or mechanical ?

P.S. Phil are you going to the next FOS meeting?

Jack
AnswerID: 359123

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:28

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:28
I have an Engel that I bought new in 1973. Lost its refrigerant after a year on the road. Problem was a bad crimp where they sealed off the tube, apparently a common problem at that time.

After being regassed and sealed it has lived in 5 vehicles and still runs well. The compressor has always had a rattle on rough roads.

I think the new units are more power efficient but while it works I will keep it.

alastair
AnswerID: 359349

Sponsored Links