Travellers reminded of new fruit fly laws

Submitted: Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 09:35
ThreadID: 67732 Views:2592 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Link

Info from link in case it disappears:

Random road blitzes, extra road signs and shop advertising will be used by the South Australian Government this weekend to remind travellers of new fruit fly laws.

As of July 1, people bringing illegal fruit and vegetables into the state will risk on-the-spot fines.

The Government's manager of plant and food standards, Geoff Raven, says fines of $315 for individuals and $100,000 for a company will apply.

"The amount of fruit grown in the Riverland has a high commercial value, we want to maintain markets interstate and we've also developed international markets and those are based on the Riverland area being a quarantine zone and we can demonstrate that that area is free of fruit fly," he said.

"It's the travellers from New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria, because there are some endemic populations of fruit fly in those states."
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rolly - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:40

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:40
Grazie DIO
AnswerID: 359076

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 13:16

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 13:16
Good to see DIO.

Similar applies in WA at all times, with possible fines of up to $5,000.

For travellers entering WA produce you cannot bring in includes fruit, veges, honey, seeds and soil).

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/pw/q/

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359078

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 18:25

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 18:25
What's new? I thought that it was a hanging offence to bring anything at all into SA, ever?

Trying to track and understand SA quarantine laws, on top of the "Zone" and Victoria's "Permanent Zones" is a nightmare. WA while tough at least is a bit more consistent over time.

Too many bailiwicks to protect to ever expect consistent sensible rules.

Examples available if you don't reckon I am being reasonable!!

Max
AnswerID: 359113

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:03

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:03
Having moved from SA to WA i can assure you keeping SA FFF is a damn good idea. its a waste of time having fruit trees in your backyrd in WA
so why shouldnt they be consistent with regs - there a waste of time anyway the state is already rotten with fruit fly.

if they had put the effort in like SA has been able to surrounded by fruit fly - it may never have got that way.

if they can keep out spoggys and starlings they should have been able to keep out FF so dont hold their quarantine up as any kind of example
FollowupID: 627181

Reply By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 22:11

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 22:11
I find it amazing that our various State Governments can fine their own citizens big time, but should you bring in fruits or vegies into Australia from overseas, the maxium fine is $250.00, terrorists don't need AK-47's, just a few seeds will decimate our crops.

I believe the government should start acting tough, $20,000.00 would be better, the message might get through.

Border Patrol, your kidding.
AnswerID: 359150

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 09:13

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 09:13
How is it that we can buy fruit and veggies in W.A. at the supermarkets that are imported from overseas and interstate?
Are these crops checked by quarantine?
AnswerID: 359176

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:12

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:12
you will be able to get bananas from the Philipines soon. No need to worry as the Aus gov tell us that the Philipines gov will ensure that there are no diseases or bugs before export.

About 10 years ago a big wig in the Government agriculture advise area told a meeting of farmer "why should Australian Farmers gain a commercial advantage just because they are disease free".

Neil
FollowupID: 627190

Sponsored Links