alloy rims how easy to damage when changing?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:55
ThreadID: 67763 Views:2655 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
To date I havent needed to remove a tyre from my LC alloy rims.

Curious how brittle / fragile they may be when needing to use the tyre levers etc. As we all know there are times when tyres and rims can be a problem and at least with a steel rim you are not likely to do much harm.

Is there any likely hood of busting a piece out of them or distortion when faced with a particlarly stubborn tyre that needs to come on or off?

Any tricks of the trade with these rims or tool (other than the norm) that is of any use to cart around?

thanks in advance
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 13:29

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 13:29
I have found that scratching and scraping of the alloy rims to be of more concern than busting a piece out of the rim.

Just be careful of tyre lever placement and make sure the bead is fully broken and you should have no issuses.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359191

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 15:09

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 15:09
I removed a few tyres of alloys, first breaking the bead with Tyre pliers and then useing levers to remove tyre.I usually tape the end of the levers to stop scratching the alloys, some people use packing strap taped to the levers.
AnswerID: 359195

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 22:26

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 22:26
Use tyre plugs to repair punctures and you won't need the levers.
But for alloys, I remember someone using a piece of garden hose, cut lengthwise to protect the rim edge from the levers.
AnswerID: 359249

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:12

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:12
That is what I do for my customers, when I repair their tyres. A bit of garden hose over the levers, does the trick. Marking the rims with black rubber from the mallet is something I am yet to work around, but it rubs off eventually.
FollowupID: 627335

Sponsored Links