Fred's Arm

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:33
ThreadID: 67817 Views:5677 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day guys,

Interested in getting an awning for the car, but only if it can be extended out to the back of the vehicle (ie food prep etc) - and I don't want an awning which is just the width of the rear - want it much wider (ie like the ones that they have on the side of vehicles).

Freds Arm

These are only the mechanism to get an awning to the rear, so would still need to purchase that (thinking the ARB version)

Have seen the Rhino Foxwing (link here) and while it's very good, still needs four poles pegs and guys to be sorted. The ARB style needs nothing - poles are self contained and unless it's windy needs no pegging.

Freds Arm look the goods, but have seen very little comment on them - anyone got one they can comment on??
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:18

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:18
Fred's Arm looks like a handy piece of gear. I am not here to hijack your thread... but am in the same position as you... am considering what to do about an awning. Trouble is, now you have given me more to think about, and will have to investigate costs. Hope you get to find what you need, and thanks for the link to Freds Arm. Hava grt day.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359479

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:24

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:24
No dramas Fred..

Current costs (without shopping around) are:

Foxwing $999
Freds Arm $390(ish)
ARB awning $365
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 627435

Reply By: chisel - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:02

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:02
I was in the same position. Fred's arm looks good but is a bit expensive and can only (officialy) handle 12kgs.

In the end I got a fairly big awning (2.5x3m) from Polaris (google it) and built some brackets that allow me to shift from side mount to rear mount in seconds by lifting the whole awning up and placing it at the back. It relies a bit on the fact that the rear mount isn't used while driving so doesn't need to be as strong. Let me know if you want more info.

AnswerID: 359485

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:05

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:05
Ivan

In regards to not having to peg it down I learnt a valuable lesson... I never used to peg my open sky awning down until one day camping not a breath of wind then un announced a gust ripped through the camp and flipped it over the roof snapping the ends off the poles.
Now regardless I always peg it and as a matter of interest the open sky has two ropes at the bottom of the upright poles, whack a peg through these then you dont need the guy ropes.

Cheers Ingo

AnswerID: 359486

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:23

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:23
Ivan

After reading your post I’ll probably order a Fred’s Arm also. The ability to have it erected on the side or back is very convenient.

Luckily my Tradesmans rack and Polaris awning are suitable for the unit, and it appears the fitting is relatively easy. It also has retaining clips on the side to secure the unit during travel.

The price they quoted me was $390 + $30 freight to Melbourne.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 359487

Reply By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 17:01

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 17:01
Ivan - a couple of members of my 4WD club have these and have had them since the last 4WD Spectacular in Queanbeyan (Feb 08). They swear by them but often comment that they sometimes wish they were able to be fitted to the passenger side of the vehicle rather than the drivers side.
AnswerID: 359528

Sponsored Links