Toyota Warrenty

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:33
ThreadID: 67819 Views:2991 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
If driving a Toyota and going inland don't expect warrenty service.

Have just heard from a friend and fellow Toyota (3) owner in western Queensland that Toyota Melbourne have issued an instruction that NO warrenty work is to be done in rural areas unless it - the vehicle - is dangerous to drive.

This means that to get a minor warrenty repair job done on their 6 month old Prado they have to drive to either Roma - 381ks - or Dalby - a further 460ks to get it fixed. This hit is on top of having to wait 8 months to get the vehicle they ordered.

Also unhappy with their Hilux utes doing CV joints at a rate of knots.

Obviously Toyota are either selling enough vehicles overseas or they consider the Australian Govt market to be sufficient representation in Australia.

OR can I be cynical and say that this is another case of 'They're out in the bush. They don't matter' which would put them right up there with the politicians.

Kevin J

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 14:08

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 14:08
So does that mean that Warrenty work is only to be done at Dealers and not non Toyota dealer workshops??

I am sure there is a Dealer in Miles as well as St George which is closer than Dalby if he doesn't like Roma ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359508

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:06

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:06
Left with the impression that Charleville, Miles, St George are all out.
Its not a case of not liking a dealer. It is that Toyota dealers in rural areas are not going to be paid for doing warrenty work.

KJ
FollowupID: 627456

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:09

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:09
I find it amusing that Roma is not classed as Rural :)

There must be more to this story than Toyota is letting on.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627457

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:34

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:34
If it's true.....
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627459

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:52

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:52
Steve,

You can't let the truth get in the way of a good story haha

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627461

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 16:08

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 16:08
An interesting post, I've just sent this customer enquiry email to Toyota Australia via their website at: Toyota Email

"Hi,
I've been told that Toyota will only perform major warranty repairs at remote country dealerships and any minor warranty repairs must go to a major centre workshop.

Is this true or can I get any level of warranty repair addressed at any Toyota dealer Australia wide?

Regards,

Geoff"

We await their reply,

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 359517

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 16:20

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 16:20
Don't believe everything people tell you.

They cannot do that as if there is a warranty issue, they must fix it. I would hate to be the dealer that refused to fix your car and when you drove down the road you crashed and hurt someone.

Another rubbish tale to get people going :-)

AnswerID: 359519

Reply By: Flywest - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 16:48

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 16:48
Who knows - MAYBE theres something in it?

Source:- [url]http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=91184§ionid=3510213[/url]

[quote]
Toyota expecting $5b annual loss

Sun, 12 Apr 2009 06:43:31 GMT
Toyota Motor is expected to suffer a second consecutive annual loss as the financial crisis continues to affect the world's auto industry.

The world's biggest automaker might suffer an operating loss of 500 billion yen ($5 billion) for the current fiscal year, which started on April 1, as the prospects of a recovery in the world's auto industry remains bleak, the Japanese daily Nikkei reported on Sunday.

Toyota has already said it estimates an operating loss of 450 billion yen -- its first annual loss in nearly 60 years -- for the last fiscal year, which ended on March 31.

The Japanese automaker's revenue is expected to fall from an estimated 21 trillion yen last year to around 20 trillion yen this year, the business daily said.

The forecast is mainly due to the global financial crisis which has severely affected the US, Japan and Europe's auto industries and sharply slashed sales across the world.

Toyota group auto sales are now estimated at 6.5 million vehicles for the current fiscal year -- which, if confirmed, would be the first time they have fallen below seven million units, Nikkei said.

A strong yen against the dollar and the euro, which has lowered the competitiveness of Japanese products overseas, is another factor which is contributing to Toyota's second consecutive annual loss.

Toyota sold 8.97 million vehicles last year to end American General Motors' 77-year run as the world's largest automaker.
[/quote]

Might be a good time to snaffel a new 200 series as they could well be the lastgreat 4wd ever built, if Tojo goes under!

When your belleding blood by the gallon - you have to take measures to apply a tornique (O.K. pressure bandage for you first aiders) and stem the bloodloss or the death of the patient is assured!

Could be a grain of truth in this claim - who knows?

Cheers

AnswerID: 359525

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:25

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:25
"Might be a good time to snaffle a new 200 series"....

You are right on the button there Fly, a friend of mine has, so far, bargained $20,000 off the drive away cost of a new Diesel Sahara.

He's still negotiating and the dealers are still listening.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627489

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 17:32

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 17:32
Ok. Here's the deal.

Friends have properties north west of Charleville. 5 Toyotas in the family. Hilux has done another CV joint so they contact the service agent in Charleville who advises them that while he is still a service agent he cannot get paid for doing warranty work and they will have to take the vehicle to Roma - nearest dealership.

Contact with the dealership hierachy in Dalby confirms that this is correct and warranty work can only be done by a dealership and the cost of getting to that point and back is with the customer.

So apart from the costs for time and travel it is not difficult to see what will happen to the Charleville service agent and all those other locations . So when you and I as Grey Nomads want/need service and or repairs in the areas out from the main dealerships it is going to be a case of Tuff T.

KJ
AnswerID: 359534

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:22

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:22
OK try this scenario, you purchase a brand new 200 series, you go for a trip out to Charleville, you have a problem with the vehicle, say Engine Management or some thing similar it happens intermittently, and you are towing a caravan, do toyota cover all costs of getting you and the vehicle and caravan back to a Dealership, or do you drive the vehicle back to the nearest dealership, knowing you might stuff some thing up, will they still cover the warranty?
FollowupID: 627488

Reply By: Member - Craig M (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:45

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:45
I am surprised the nissan wags who inhabit this site haven't already suggested the obvious solution..........

Load a Patrol on a car trailer behind the Toyota and simply swap vehicles when one dies.

Seems simple doesn't it!

Craig
AnswerID: 359551

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:16

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:16
Kev.

Maybe that's because they only carry out "warranty repair".. LOL

Sorry people are doing it to me all the time ... WK

Richard
AnswerID: 359577

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:25

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:25
Maybe the difference is in the definition of a dealership as compared to a service agent. My understanding is that no dealership can refuse to carry out a legitimate warranty repair but a service agent is only authorised to perform service work and is therefore entitled to charge the customer for said work.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 359580

Sponsored Links