Companion Butane Lantern Results

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:55
ThreadID: 67821 Views:6273 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well this is a good news post cause I am stoked.

Got this lantern with a pietzo ignition that actually does light the mantle (unlike on my Coleman Northstar dual fuel).

Image Could Not Be Found

(dunno what happened here, I thought a photo was meant to appear, maybe it does when I "submit" this post)

The light is very bright for the size of the unit and can be turned up or way down.

It takes those same 220g butane that we use on those stoves. (I know, ignore reading this if you want to use it in cold environments)

Once started and backed off from full if only because it can be a bit noisy, and is just as bright, got more than 10 hours from one can of butane, though obviously seemed to lose a bit of brightness toward the end of the test.

This is where I got mine from, no affiliations etc

http://www.wildearth.com.au/companion-portable-butane-lantern-p-787.html

I should say when I mentioned this item a couple weeks ago someone thought they saw one for sale at BCF for $40 so may pay to shop around if you're interested.

Now the nearest contender for me was the Primus LED jobby that gets excellent raves here and is much more adaptable as the top can come off, no mantle to break, and can be hung upside down and run at half battery consumption.

Notwithstanding that, 4 decent D size batteries for the 25hours of running the Primus LED will cost more than twice as much as 2 butane canisters (buying on special from Asian warehouses at about $5 for 4) for roughly the same time.

Of course its not nearly as bright as my Coleman Northstar but for $50 from Wild Earth I think it is a bargain and packs down very small as everything unscrews into a small box.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:50

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:50
They are a good product Porl , like the lower output primus unit.

Last year when I organized a bulk buy of cannisters (I use them in my heater, stove and blow torch) I got them in 80/20 butanne/propane mix at a $1 each so they work a bit better in the cold.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 359490

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:07

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:07
Hi Robin

Care to share where you buy them in bulk from?

I think we'll be going through a few.
FollowupID: 627446

Sponsored Links