Fix the car or get another one?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:46
ThreadID: 67842 Views:2792 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Ok - here goes. Sorry for the ramble.

Currently have a 1986 60 series Factory TD Sahara. Really love it and it has served me well - the body is very good, the interior still scrubs up ok but the seats in the back are broken. The AC is broken after a trip up north, there is some leaking from the rocker cover gasket, and the auto has just stuffed up - only goes in 1st and 2nd gear - there has been a leak in the gearbox (think front seal) and have had to top up the oil regularly. Needs replacement of front and rear cyclinders, cooling needs flushing, new windscreen and some other minor bits and pieces. It has done about $460000 with no probs up until now.

Currently can't really drive it around in 2nd gear - gets the poor beast a bit hot under the collar. So what do I do?

1. Do I fix the bits and pieces? Would estimate around $3000 to fix the gearbox - maybe $5000 all up.

2. Do I replace with an 80s or 100s - don't realy have much cash at all and don't want to go into the 20s. If so what model do I get. I have the wife and 4 kids (all in child seats) so need to fit six people - current Sarah fits them fine. It doesn't need to tow a huge amount 2.5tonne would be fine, and for the next few years at least it will be mostly driven on sealed roads. Is a TD best or a petrol/gas? Read that should have Live Axles (?), what is the best motor to get 1Hz, 1HD-FT???

3. Is it worth wrecking and selling off parts from home. There much call for parts for 60 series?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: oldfart1953 - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:58

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:58
Sorry to say but I think the use by date............ is tomorrow!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 359593

Reply By: troopyman - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:22

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:22
An 80 series with a turbo diesel sounds the go .
AnswerID: 359596

Follow Up By: troopyman - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:26

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:26
something like this

Site Link
FollowupID: 627548

Reply By: mowing - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:21

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:21
Hi Huskidog, How do yo fit the kid's seats in now?
The middle front and back will just have lap belts which I wouldn't think would hold the kids seats with safety.
What about the imported 4wd people movers (can't think of the name of them but starts with a "D"and made by Toyota)
Do you really need to have the ability to tow 2.5T? which by the way is in huge amount territory. The people mover could let you do a degree of off road work whilst giving everyone a good seat and once the kiddies grow up a bit you could revert back to a 4wd wagon.

Mark
AnswerID: 359613

Follow Up By: Huskidog - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:33

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:33
Hi = thanks for the reply

There is enough room in the middle row for 3 kids with child seats. I have taken one seat out of the back and the 4th child (the oldest) is only in booster seat. Had anchor points added to fit them all in.

Currently have a Toyota import people mover - The Super Custom - excellent car - love it - the most room out of any people mover, easy to drive, turbo diesel (prado engine), easy to get spares, seats 8 adults comfortably, blah blah. Its only the 2wd KZH100 as the KZH106 AWD are not as common.

The one that starts with "D" is the Mitsubishi Delica - not my cup of tea and nowhere near the room of the Toyota - especially for family of 6.

The 4wd is to replace the current 4wd and to take the kids as a back up for now. But, I do need to tow a caravan at least once a year so need it for that, and it would also be my work vehicle which will need to tow a heavy duty trailer.

Cheers
FollowupID: 627574

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:44

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:44
"it would also be my work vehicle"

Are you self employed? Wouldn't it be better to get a work vehicle on a novated lease? Good tax deductions available..

If working for a boss, how about salary sacrifice?

Either of these two scenarios would see you n a late model car for not too much upfront outlay. Talk to your accountant or pay master.

As it's a work vehicle, and therefore needs to be reliable, I'd definitely put the old girl out to pasture and update.
FollowupID: 627591

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:14

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:14
I'd be tempted to fix the vehicle you have, comes back to the old question, spend $5 or 6k on it or at least $25k on a newer one without the seating options of what you have.
An 80 in a similar config is probably going to have at least 2/3rds the k's yours has, a 100 is going to cost heaps more.
Fix the auto and a/c, keep an eye out for a wreck to either pick up a younger engine or save the dough to rebuild yours as it will probably require work soon.
AnswerID: 359628

Reply By: Horacehighroller - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:16

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:16
Hi Huskidog,

You say you "don't want to go into the $20's".
You will not get a good 80 turbo diesel with reasonable mileage for less than $20K.

That leaves you buying a petrol which will be expensive to run.

If you're happy with your current vehicle and it does everything you need then keep it.

$5K to end up having a good reliable vehicle sounds quite reasonable - especially when you have 4 kids to educate (not to mention feeding & clothing them all).

Good luck.

Peter
AnswerID: 359653

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:54

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:54
What about a GQ Patrol, great value if you pick up one in good condition.. Plenty of diesels in that model,, and reliable..An 80 series might be a little expensive still, if you want a diesel!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359661

Follow Up By: Gossy - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:10

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:10
Agree with the GQ statement. Too many of us are too bias betwee one or the other. Bottom line is that there are as many Nissans bouncing around the bush as Toyotas. Narrowing your options to just Toyota is eliminating some very good vehicles which will give you same reliability, interior space etc.
FollowupID: 627646

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:25

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:25
No!!!!!
I can't help you.
I just sold my old truck with similar issues... miss it terribly.

My vote. Spend more than bugeted and get it back to really good nick.

But then your better half needs to be listened to and kept happy.

Mine is now happy and I'm forlorn.

Best of luck with you decision!
AnswerID: 359697

Reply By: Huskidog - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 22:33

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 22:33
Thanks for all the replies. But what to do - aaarrrrgghh

How bout asking this -

1. If I go for an 80 series what model is the best - only want an Auto - motor, gearbox, live axles (how do you know), etc

2. Don't know a lot about Nissans - GQ Patrol or whatever- what year should I be looking at, motor, etc.

Think I will put my beast to pasture - have just had a call from Brisbane from someone desperate for an engine same as mine - given mine has 46000kms on it, the rocker cover is leaking some oil, and I haven't had any real maintenance to it in 2 years (not driven very much) - would it be worth selling the motor or is it a very risky buy on his behalf - don't want to waste his time or my time if there is no hope.

Thanks
AnswerID: 359897

Sponsored Links