Quad Biking

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:21
ThreadID: 67868 Views:4121 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I am looking at buying a quad bike for down south (NSW me being from the gold coast) and was wondering what type of registrations one has to have.

I have been told that if on private property you don't need it registered, however if you have to cross roads etc then you do....

Does anyone know from experience what the regulations are? Interested to see if anyone has personally got a quad registered?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:38

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:38
I have an Arctic Cat 700cc Diesel unit (Photo's on my profile page). There are very limited options for registering them within Victoria so I don't know how that stacks up against NSW. They cannot be registered as recreationnal vehicles in Victoria. Primary producers can register them as a tractor type vehicle and for specific purpose only as you've mentioned, crossing roads etc. They cannot be driven distance on any road, lane or public thoroughfare. Councils have some units regsisted for special purpose like spaying road verges, nature strips etc as do weed control contracting companies but the rego is very restrictive and you must be in that business, have a demonstrated need and a specific purpose.

Very hard as a private citizen to do anything in relation to them. Got any relatives who are farmers?

Cheers Mick

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359671

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:39

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:39
If it is for business or primary producer use you can register it on Conditional rego.
As a private person you can't register it except for places like Stockton beach and use on public land is a no go.
AnswerID: 359672

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:20

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:20
Not much help to your question Quadgirl. I suggest doing a search of the relevant NSW Transport Department website or contact them by phone. Do you have an NSW residential address?

Although most farmers don't register their 'quikes', we chose to, as licence includes third party (personal injury) damage. At around $50 per annum, it is not much compared to vehicle licences at $550 - $650 or so. It still needs to be roadworthy to cross the road (working lights etc), and helmet must be worn (never seen anyone wear one). I am in WA.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359708

Reply By: Member - John M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 07:21

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 07:21
QuadGirl
I have a 650 Kawasaki 4x4 Workhorse and have NSW Conditional Rego for it in NSW.
It is private rego and cost about $580.00. It is restricted to Stockton Beach, crossing roads, use on private property and 4x4 tracks etc. where a registered vehicle is allowed to operate. It can only be riden on public property during daylight hours and with a helmit. All headlights and stop lights have to be operational.
It cannot be used on normal public roads and for use on other beaches a local permit has to be obtained. Some councils do not allow quad bikes due to the history of people going crazy and tearing up the dunes and driving irresponsibly.
I believe I was very lucky to get mine registered as the lady at the RTA had just bought her son a small quad bike the week before and was excited about it.
Good luck if you can get it registered.
Regards
John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 359774

Follow Up By: Member - John M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 07:27

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 07:27
Just to add, take your quad to tassie, everyone has a quad bike, 4x4, boat and caravan and quads are used extensively, especially on the west coast. I did a trip with 19 other quads from to Strahan and we had a boat set up with ramps to load the quads to cross the Pieman River. What a great trip.
John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 627739

Reply By: Ted (Cairns) - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 21:58

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 21:58
Sorry can't help, but it is interesting to note that they are road legal in many countries in Europe. I had just landed in Munich last year and was going on a walk and one zoomed past me, rego plate and all.

What a world...
AnswerID: 359887

Sponsored Links