Waeco 80 problem

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:21
ThreadID: 67886 Views:2325 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have been running the waeco 80 on the warmest setting for a few months and last week turned it up to full to freeze some water.

Since then it wont turn down and seems to be going non stop(although the LED lights are saying its turned down)

The red over ride switch is on OFF .

Its the older model before the digital readout .

Any tricks/fixes before I hand it over to someone.

Are there any good car fridge repairers northern suburbs Perth?The ones listed by waeco are not to my taste.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:39

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:39
Ross,

Whilst I haven't had that particular problem, I've had the odd gremlin in the electronics that has brought on an error light incorrectly.

Disconnecting it from the power for about half an hour and then starting it up again cured it each time.

Gotta be worth a try.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 359786

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:44

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:44
Sorry, not clear enough, don't just turn it off, it is essential to take the plug out to ensure no power gets to the electronics.

Mine is also the old model.

FollowupID: 627757

Follow Up By: ross - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:05

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:05
Yes I am about to try that but I have left it overnight and will try it after I have cleaned it out
FollowupID: 627769

Reply By: RODEO4X4 - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:56

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:56
GREETINGS ROSS, I'VE HEARD THAT "BATTERY WORLD " DO WAECO REPAIRS, IF THERE IS ONE IN YOUR AREA? CHEERS MICHAEL.
AnswerID: 359790

Follow Up By: ross - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:08

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:08
There is a Battery World in my area but I dont think all of them do fridge repairs.

I have someone locally ,just he to wait for him to come off holidays

Thanks Ross
FollowupID: 627771

Reply By: kidsolo - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:07

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:07
there is a small over ride swith on them to bypass the electronic controls. make sure you haven't accidently bumped it.
AnswerID: 359804

Follow Up By: ross - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:09

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:09
That sounds like the emergency switch which I have checked.
Mine sits in a fridge slider and its almost impossible to bump it.
FollowupID: 627772

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 17:40

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 17:40
This is exactly what happened to me..

It is most likely a stuffed thermister and if you have the old model there is a spare one built in. Cost for a fridgy to swap over and overnite chart the fridge is about $50 here in Cairns. If you have 2 stuffed thermisters about $250 to repair.

Grrr!!!!!
AnswerID: 359835

Reply By: toyocrusa - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 20:37

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 20:37
Hi ross. Someone posted a fix for this some time ago which I put in a saved file. I have copied it as follows,

" I found this post Waeco CF50 Thermistor archive during my research and thought Id post a follow up - which requires a new post on account of it having been archived. There would have to be plenty of folks out there with the same fault, which notably is the thermistor itself which had gone out of calibration rather than it having fallen off its mounting.

With already having had this fixed once I was able to 'reverse engineer' the fix. This is simply to remove the outer casing around the compressor, remove the compressor bolts, drop the compressor down a few centimeters, drill a hole through the insulation, glue a new thermistor to the evaporator then insulate and seal it all up again. If you're the type of person that's comfortable dismantling things its quite straightforward, providing you're capable of drilling a hole though the insulation but not into the evaporator.

I would post pictures and a disclaimer about my care but lack of responsibility should you ruin your fridge/life/wife etc, but there's no need. When you order a spare thermistor if you ask nicely it comes with clear instructions and suitable thermal mounting paste/glue. All for $22 plus postage.

Its all very straightforward. I anticipate saving around $300 by doing this repair myself should the fridge last as long as 3 years assuming the failure rate is around once every 2 to 3 years, which it would appear to be in my circumstances.

Interestingly the fridge has run quite happily almost continuously for over 12 months. It was only when it was switched off for a week that the thermistor failed almost immediately upon restarting.

I hope this is of some use to someone out there some day."
AnswerID: 359871

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 21:00

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 21:00
Thanks for the very helpful info fellas.

I plugged it in a couple of hours ago and when I checked on it ,it seemed to be cycling on and off like it should .
Im doing a short trip sat night ,so I will run it all day tomorrow and see how it goes.
AnswerID: 359875

Sponsored Links