Adding Trail bike mounts to a Jayco Flamingo

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 19:26
ThreadID: 67907 Views:2946 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings guys -- i Have recently purchased 2 new trail bikes ( his and hers - registered) and would love to take them with us when we go camping with the Jayco - problem is - we cant have trailer following trailer

Now - would it be ok to make up a sub frame to accommodate a Bike at the rear of the jayco and one on the front cross member

the larger of the 2 bikes (XR650) weighs 120 KG and the WR250 is about 100 KG - i am a fitter machinist by trade so should make it myself (if im not too lazy )

Is this just wanting to much fun ( ie im getting greedy and should just relax when i go away) or will the extra load be no good for the jayco frame - OFFROAD Jayco version BTW

your thoughts ??

Boc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 20:08

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 20:08
Boc

I looked for something similar for my GU but to just sit on the back like a normal bike carrier. I found these guys in my googling, might give you some ideas

Carrier
AnswerID: 359864

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 21:24

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 21:24
I made up one for an Off Road Jayco Eagle years ago for my then XR400. I simply modified the rear bumber which carried the spare wheel and the bike rode there. It was quite simple, actually made it up while working in remote area of the Kimberley and it worked very well. I never loaded up the drawbar with anything as you will be doing but my set up did not seem to upset the ride or towing dynamics at all. Actually it seemed to take a bit of load off the dual cab at the towbar, less ball weight due to counter balancing, and everything travelled well.
No doubt I will be told that what I did was illegal etc etc and I will be told I was silly stressing a "Weak Jayco" like that but I've done sillier things than that in my life. Ideally a dual cab trayback would do the job if the tray could be made longer. Mine was a well body with a canopy!
AnswerID: 359881

Follow Up By: kym111 - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 22:50

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 22:50
Jaycos aren't as weak as some people make out! My parents just traded theirs, but about 12 months ago we did a family weekend away (just headed out about 80kms out of town, past a couple of farming communities).

My brother took his Ford Falcon wagon with an old Millard (approx 16'), Mum & Dad with their Patrol & 16' Jayco Freedom, my sister & her family with their Cruiser & Coromal.

Sister stayed an extra night, Parents, Brother & I with kids came back together. The Falcon boiled about 20kms from the nearest town, so the oldies got a call over the two way to say we'd carked it!

They came back around, hitched the Falcon AND the Millard to the back of the Jayco and towed us into the farming town (more like a village). Thank God the tavern was open!!

As far as I know, no damage was done to the Jayco, thankfully we didn't have far to go before we could pull up and get reinforcements! Wish I'd got a photo of the 'road train'. Was too busy laughing at the Falcon!
FollowupID: 627849

Reply By: yakodi - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:30

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:30
Last year in Alice Springs there was someone in the Caravan park with a jayco camper that was set up to carry trail bikes - but they had what looked like a 150mm x 150mm telescopic drawbar setup. They had to remove the bikes to setup camp each night.
AnswerID: 359963

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 13:26

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 13:26
We carry 110kgs of Honda SL230 on the A frame of our 17ft Evernew van on a length of C section and is held on by 4 tie downs. On the rear we carry 85-125kgs (depends if jerry cans are full) made up of 2x bicycles (45kg incl carrier) 2x 20L jerry cans (45kgs when full which is rarely) and 1x 245/70x16 (35kgs) spare wheel. Our vans now done over 100,000km over all kinds of roads in various conditions, including corrugated dirt like the Gibb River Rd with no problems and it tows well but we do use and recommend a friction sway control device as so much weight is far away from the van axles.

For a bike on the rear I'd think you'd need to run your supports along the chassis a bit (get rid of the current rear bumper) use C section like on the front to sit the bike. You may need to brace the top of the bike solidly back onto the van to restrict movement and help hold it on tie downs on the rear may not work too well. With our bikes on the rear we have them tied back to the van at the top and the bottom to restrict movement, until we did this we had problems with the bike mount cracking etc...

Don't know what size van your got, but what your proposing can be done but be aware hanging an extra 100kgs odd off the front or rear so far from the axles can lead to instability problems. Use of a sway control device will help lots with maintaining stability especially in adverse road/weather conditions.. ie strong gusting side winds. rough undulating/potholed roads.

check out these sites re sway control units
Sway Control devices
Friction sway control unit

UK site - Load the van and see how load affects stability

UK - Towing stability study

Hope this is some help
AnswerID: 359976

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:39

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:39
With the carrying frames you will be adding 250 kg or more weight to your camper. If your camper is a standard model it will only have a load allowance of 300 kg. The resultant loading will leave you with less than 50 kg for cooking equipment, food, clothing, bedding and beer/wine. Can you live with that restraint?

As others have said placing those weights at the end of the body will decrease the stability. As I see it you should get yourself a toy hauler or a utility to carry the bikes.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 360006

Sponsored Links