seating upgrade

Submitted: Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 13:09
ThreadID: 67935 Views:1889 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at 2 options for upgrading the seating in my gq patrol.

to make things simpler for advice I will say that I am working on a budget of approx $1200 max.

So, my options are to replace the drivers seat only with an aftermarket seat (saas, recaro etc), OR for approx $500 each seat I can get all the foam replaced by a professional trimmer on the original seats.

has anyone replaced the foam in their original seats and if so was it worth the $. I realise it won't be as good as a dedicated aftermarket seat BUT if it is still a big improvement then I can afford for both the driver and passenger to travel in more confort.

If it's not worth the effort then the upgrade of 1 seat is the better value for money.

Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Travelling Pixie - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 13:32

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 13:32
If the seats don't (like most factory standard seats) already have the internal steel frame to support reshaping and firming up then you will only be relying on high density foam to do the job

standard seats like GQ don't have a large bolster (near your ribs) preventing lateral movement so trimmers can't do alot more to build them up. you should not expect a big improvement unless your existing seats are already RS - in which case an aftermarket seat might be better anyway

I reckon get a decent after market driver's seat (which you can take to other vehicles in the future) and upgrade the passenger seat when funds permit.

talk to a trimmer and see if he can show you what is possible
AnswerID: 359980

Follow Up By: Gossy - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:27

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:27
Seats aren't too bad (not ripped etc). Good point about the side support on aftermarket when rolling from side to side.
FollowupID: 627912

Follow Up By: Member - shane (SA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:58

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:58
Hi mate, I have a trimmer in the factory next to me and he reshapes seats all the time. A good trimmer can even put the extra steel in to make them firm around the sides.
Im in Adelaide, if i can help let me know.
cheers shane.
FollowupID: 627949

Follow Up By: Member - shane (SA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:59

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:59
Hi mate, I have a trimmer in the factory next to me and he reshapes seats all the time. A good trimmer can even put the extra steel in to make them firm around the sides.
cheers shane.
FollowupID: 627950

Follow Up By: Member - shane (SA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:59

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:59
cheers shane.
FollowupID: 627951

Follow Up By: Gossy - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:46

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:46
Now I'm really confused. On the weekend I had decided (after sitting in alot of second hand seats at wreckers) to purchase some second hand seats (probably Holden Statesman at this stage) and then get them fitted.

Now I have one trimmer saying he won't do it (it's illegal) whilst Wiltshire Trimmers will say they will do it; it's either illegal or its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, Wiltshire Trimmers are saying that not all seats will fit well enough (they could be too high because they can't remove the old frame) so they would like to see the seat first.

Catch 22. What if I buy the seats and then I get told they can't fit them - I'm out of pocket $600 :(
FollowupID: 628282

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 14:01

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 14:01
Hi Gossy,
It was a long time ago when I had my povery-pack Maverick, so am working on past memory, but I was able to remove the fixed 1-1/2 passenger seat, fit a Scheel seat to the driver's side and fit the original driver's seat to the passenger side with a small mod to the seat mounts (had to make up an inner support frame, I recall). This arrangement was a quantum leap on the original, as I could now recline the passenger seat. The original driver's seat was ok (so ok for the passenger) but the Scheel seat had brilliant "drive-all-day" comfort with excellent side support (good for holding one in when there was lots of sideways lurching). The original passenger seat was an absolute dog, too firm, no recline.
Cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 359987

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:21

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:21
G'day Gerry,

Have just gone through the same with the 80 series, old driver's seat moved one space to the left ....... after throwing the one and a half passenger's seat over the left shoulder and then a race bucket bolted in place behind the steering wheel. Had been telling the cook for eight years that it would happen to the old vehicle, has happen in the new ........... I'm happy ... she's happy ...... and all is good.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 627954

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:29

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:29
Keep an eye on the trading post and Ebay. Second hand recaros (and others) come up every now and then. Even if they do not have the correct mount for you vehicle, you can by new mount for them from the distributors (But check before you buy).
I picked up a Recaro that was a couple of years old and in perfect condition for about $800, including correct mount for my vehicle. The new price for the same seat is just under $3000.

However, be wary of counterfeit products. Carefully check what you are buying to ensure it is real deal.

AnswerID: 360003

Reply By: Gossy - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:44

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:44
yep been looking but only the past few days. Nothing around at the moment.
AnswerID: 360007

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 16:21

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 16:21
Gossy.
I put two Commodore seats into my Hj47 Toyota, and was the best thing for it, and me, easy to fit, and the cost was $75:00 for the two ,both came out of the VP commodore.

Cheers for now...William H...Bunbury...WA.
AnswerID: 360014

Reply By: garryk - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 16:51

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 16:51
G'day

I had the seats in my old Patrol repacked but was never happy with the result
Next step was to buy some imported seats from a Japanese sports car , I found an advert in the Saturday paper / Auto parts adverts

Importers import them just like they do jap engines ect

They had lots to pick from , just think about frame design and how easy or hard to adapt
Prices varyied according to colour and style
but I used a set from a Mitsubushi Starion I think
and they were great very good support and comfort for about $400

Garry
AnswerID: 360022

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 18:53

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 18:53
you'll just have to keep a good eye out on ebay for second handies, they do come up but not often.
i got a secondhand set of SAAS pump up lumbar support seats for $500 and then made the new base frames to suit my 105 series landcruiser.
not sure what state your in, but here in QLD i then had to get them engineered, which cost me about $80 i think, and then take that paperwork to Qld Transport which doesn't cost anything extra, just another form to fill out.

AnswerID: 360044

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:57

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:57
decided not to go down the seats out of another car option now. Bottom line is that it's not legal. Chatted to 3 different companies who have given me the same story.
I can do it myself but then if I get into an accident I am not covered by insurance :(
AnswerID: 360511

Follow Up By: Travelling Pixie - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:17

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:17
I have been told in the past that seats out of sedans would not likely stand up to the rigours of a 4wd being used as a 4wd - off road

be most uncomfortable to have a seat fall apart underneath as you climb the rutted dirt track with the vehicle bouncing around (as they occasionally do)
FollowupID: 628312

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:23

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:23
I have been going thru a bit of a 'rebuild' for my Patrol. This included taking all the insides out and replacing the crappy carpet underlay with dedicated heat reflecting foam from Clark Rubber. Also replaced the underbonnet cover with an aftermarket product.

So now that I'm in the mood and seeing good results (the foam underlay has made the GQ so quiet!) I am going to tackle taking the seats apart and replacing the foam with some dedicated foam from Clark Rubber also. Hopefully once I find the hooks keeping the material on it won't be too hard (famous last words).

heading up to Innamincka to paddle the Cooper and Coongie in June so I want to start on the project fairly soon. Gives me time to head down to the wrecker to replace the seats if I stuff it up !!
AnswerID: 360519

Sponsored Links