Opinions on turboed 4.2L Nissan.

Submitted: Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 19:49
ThreadID: 67949 Views:2545 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Seems to be truckloads of experience on this site and wondering if I could get an opinion on factory turboed 4.2 Nissans . Some of the GQ's have cranked up some big mileages.

After how many K's on average would one expect to have to watch for trouble given that the servicing had been up to scratch. I realize the answer could be " how long is a piece of string" but would be interested in any experiences with these engines.

How do they compare with the Disco 2.5L turboed engines for reliability?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:31

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:31
Seems like one of the most reliable engines around Wild dog.
Had friends with them forever , without a blow-up unlike 3 other
friends who all have had issues with 3lt Nissan diesel in Navara's.

They can of course be warmed up , but don't dissapate heat very well out of that old style block and so you can't go to far unless cooling is increased a lot.

Had little experience with disco's apart from towing a few , but even if they were good there is no where near the availabilty of parts and service centres as Nissan.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 360059

Reply By: Madfisher - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:57

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:57
600000 to 700000ks seems to be the consenus of opinion on the life of the 4.2 td. Have not heard of to many 2.5 Discos breaking 300000ks before they snap a crank or etc etc
cheers Pete
AnswerID: 360074

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:53

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:53
wild dog,

You're on the right track with a 4.2 Nissan if you want longevity. The GQ's were not factory turboed in a 4.2 so any you see will be an aftermarket (not that this seems to be any sort of problem for the 4.2). The 4.2 GQ I owned had 300000km on the clock and was sold in as good a mechanical position as you are likely to find, it still had many k's left in that motor. It was quite a bit slower being non turbo but still very well geared to pull like a train when you needed it to. The GU was a factory turbo 4.2 and these too crank up big k's reliably. I have currently have 2 factory turbo GU 4.2's, the first is now on 380000km and has run close on 100% above factory power settings for most of it's life the other is about 50% above standard and has 180000km. There was a problem around 99-01 build GU 4.2's with their 5th gear and the ever present overheating issues but apart from this not much else to talk about problem wise. They are no racetruck but will confidently and reliably get you from A to B and back. I do not hesitate to take the older GU with 380K on the clock to any destination I dream up, it still regularly gets the caravan behind it and goes to isolated places for my RnR.

I have had zero experience with the disco's so can't comment on this side of the equation.

Hope it helps.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 360117

Reply By: wild dog - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:04

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:04
Thanks for the info.
I apparently read an advertisement incorrectly and assumed some were factory turboed.
Obviously with the heating problem it may be easier to go with a non turbo engine and be content to travel at a slower pace.

There doesn't appear to be very many for sale around Cairns , the car yards in Brisbane have some of the better looking GQ's with reasonable K's so it may mean a trip down there.
AnswerID: 360138

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 13:45

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 13:45
Just be aware that even non turbo 4.2s can suffer from overheating problems which seem to be incureable. Just back off the pedal a bit and temp will drop back again.
FollowupID: 628025

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:25

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:25
Yes I agree Ian, my non turbo GQ 4.2 suffered the same heating issues when pushed although it seemed not as pronounced as my GU's, whether this was because I could not travel as fast as I can in my GU"s I do not know. The GU's (turboed 4.2's) have heaps more go in them and I tend to use that go so as the saying goes; more go means more fuel means more heat. Nothing you do to these things seems to completely fix the overheating issues and believe me I have tried heaps.

Still, bang for your buck they are good honest reliable value. Another bonus part of them is that once you are familiar with them they are sooooo predictable.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 628119

Reply By: kiwicol - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 00:01

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 00:01
Hi I have a 92 4.2 diesal done 36000ks i super charged it at about 220,000ks, i drive it hard and tow a camper on long trips round the big country. serviced at every 5000ks religious, doesnt use any oil no leaks. New injectors about 40,000ks ago, didnt see any any inprovement in economy or performance, so i think waste of money. Have done 2 tappett adjustment in that milleage and still get about 12ks to the 100. As for the over heating issues with these motors, its my opionion that they dont overheat but the guage is sensitive and they are a hot motor. Have run in 45-46 degrees air con on doing 100ks towing very heavy camper with guage reeading just under top line for 2-3 hundred ks and have had no lasting issues. Not a race horse but talk about reliable and cheap to service. And the best thing no computors. Col
AnswerID: 360259

Sponsored Links