Mitsubishi Challenger - Extremely Capable - After market products

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 18:51
ThreadID: 6795 Views:18857 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I own a September 2002 Mitsubishi Challenger, and could not be happier with the performance. I have been to some of the roughest teraine here in Queensland, and it has nver let me down. I go to Frazer a few time a year in it, and have never managed to get bogged. I have pulled that many troopies, pathies and older nissans out off trouble, I can't keep count. Just recenlty I have added an ARB Rear Air locker, and TJM Suspension, only to gain the max 45mm suspention lift able to be gainned. I have added these, as i am thinking of travelling around australia, and believe that these are extremely good additions to add to my vehicle. Apart from this it is standard. the capabilities of the Challenger are endless, extreemly off road and load carrying ability. I would pick the challenger over the new hilux, Parthy or frontera anyday. The Ground clearance isn't crash hot, but the under body is built like a brick bleep house, so this is not such a problem. i am looking to fit a longer range Fuel tank and modify an existing snorkel to fit the challenger for safe water crossings, and better fuel range. if anybody knows someone in brisbane area, who can modify a snorkel for the challenger, or mandrall bend a stainless steele one it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anybody know's if any company makes a long ranger tank.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tessa_51 - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 19:36

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 19:36
Come on Murfa
Tell the truth. Which Mitsubashi dealer do you work for. Or have you been been driving around in the sandpit at your local kindergarten?

Tessa
AnswerID: 28939

Reply By: Eric ( Melb.) - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 19:47

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 19:47
I will agree with you Murfa , one of our mates that comes along to all our trips has a Chalanger, it is a very capable car , the lift is a bit of a problem , but we have managed to get 32 " Wranglers under it . Rear ARB air locker , it's a regular little weapon . I'll give you a little tip also, ARB are releasing a front locker for the chalanger by the end of the year .

happy driving
AnswerID: 28941

Follow Up By: Murfa - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 19:16

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 19:16
Thanks for the tip on the air Locker for the front, but I don't think you could fit it with the LSD in the font. Anyway, You might like to tell your mate who has the Challenger, that Arb is also releasing a Sahara, winch compatible bar for the Challenger in about November. I'm trying to decide what to fit, the full bar with no winch, or the sahara with winch..Tuff choice, as I only have a nudge bar on the fron at the moment.
FollowupID: 20699

Reply By: macca - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 20:06

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 20:06
I drive a oct 02 XS Challenger and tow my 20 ft Van or an off road trailer and I'm really happy with it. Not as Ballsy as the Cruiser I had before it nor is it roommier. and after market fruit is pretty scarse too. There is a replacement fuel tank available that will give you 115 liters at about $770 . there produced by Longranger tanks
AnswerID: 28948

Follow Up By: Eric ( Melb.) - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 20:53

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 20:53
another bit of info for you, dont put it on gas, they dont like it . lol
FollowupID: 20167

Follow Up By: Murfa - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:31

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:31
Thanks for the tip macca. Good to see other Challenger fans out there. i know it's not as ballsy or roomy as the cruiser, but half the weight to carry. An advantage in other areas. Have you though of fitting the Arb rear locker, costs about $1500 to intall, but well worth every cent. And by the way, thanks for the fuel tank hint on gas, I have been trying to find a larger tank for a while, the 76ltrs just doesn't cut it. If you hear of a snorkel or someone that is willing to do a custom job, message me, I'm thinking of trying to adapt the 3ltr diesel triton to mine.
FollowupID: 20586

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 22:22

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 22:22
front locker available at the end of the year also
FollowupID: 20608

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 22:38

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 22:38
I looked at the Challenger some time ago and I'm glad you're so happy with it. I'd definitely recommend a larger tank - a must if you're going to do any outback travel. I'd also want more room but that's hard to change! When you're ready to change vehicles you should look at moving up to the Pajero or Prado. You'll find them much more suitable for off road touring.
AnswerID: 28977

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 22:51

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 22:51
Less than a year old and been to Fraser a few times a year ( which one?) and pullled so many of the 'others' out !!!!... now pull the other one... or maybe u r 2 bise wanking yur self... that's why u can't keep count !!!! so u fit an air locker--aka blow job...

Now fair dinkum stop the sales crap and bleep off...
AnswerID: 28981

Follow Up By: Murfa - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:26

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:26
Michael, I go to Frazer a few times a year, with my mates who own 1990 patrols. I have taken my challenger to Frazer 3 times since I have had it. Sorry about the wording. I'm not even going to ask what you drive, probably a toyota I would guess. I'm asuming your one of these guys that has one 4wd drive brand in mind, and aren't willing to give anything else a go. I guess thats good for loyalty to a company, but bad for you, you won't get to experience the different capabilities of every vehicle.......Enjoy you 4wd. i know I will.
FollowupID: 20585

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 00:25

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 00:25
Well .... nice type Michael is!! Mind you I decided you were either a very novice 4wder or just trying to provoke people by saying how great the Challenger is. It's not quite the market or performance leader, in fact they are quite a rare sight when you get to the areas that serious off road travellers go. A quick run up the beach (not really challenging as I've seen many caravans and trailers towed in the area) is fine for it though. Enjoy it!
AnswerID: 28988

Follow Up By: Eric ( Melb.) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 08:04

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 08:04
i dont know the chap with his challanger , but i can see why he gets exited though, lol if you email me at echris67@optusnet.com.au ill send you some video clips of the challanger doing what the rest of us do , the only time it does struggle is through very deep bog holes in Toorlangi , I think this is something to do with the weight of the vehicle( to light ). Most of our mate like myself drive cruisers and partols , we love to hang bleep on every car other than toyos and partols , but we always seen to cheer on Tony with his challanger. I would never buy one , and thats due to size , the fact that it has torsion bar front end and you cant put them on gas , but 10 points to Tony and macca for trying something diffrent
FollowupID: 20194

Follow Up By: Mick - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:01

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:01
Yes Eric, I understand what you mean. There are heaps of good vehicles around but they don't necessarily suit everyone. Mitsubishi, Toyota, Suzuki, Subaru and Nissan are just some of the manufacturers who make good products. I personally wouldn't choose a Vitara because it doesn't match my needs but it does for many. Can't help wondering if he's serious though - the vehicle is less than a year old, has been to Fraser (does he watch FraZier LOL) several times each year, and hasn't passed the biggest test and that's the test of time. Glad to see that he's happy but can't help wondering why he feels a need to tell evetyone how great his car is. Usually means there's something wrong!!
FollowupID: 20196

Follow Up By: Eric ( Melb.) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:19

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:19
i take your point , my mates challnger is a 98 so plenty of time to prove itself and make changes , good point
FollowupID: 20204

Follow Up By: Murfa - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:40

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:40
I know there are a lot of Nissan and toyota fans out there. And yes I take my 4wd on the beach, and anywhere I can, because if you own one you may as well use it. I personally can't understand why someone would buy one to drive around the city in only. But hey the challenger is one of the newer one's on the market, and like any new product, It has to stand the the test of time and durability. But Mitsubishi make a a hardy 4wd, and have been for years. The only thing I don't like is the torsion bars on the front suspension, but unless you your buying a new patrol, even landcruisers hade it now. I'll keep you all updated, and don't knock it untill you've see it in action or tried it, as I just might be the one to help you out of trouble the next time your stuck.
FollowupID: 20590

Reply By: the real mccoy - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:02

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:02
Murfa
Good to see some other vehicle other than a Cruiser / Patrol being lauded by it's owner.
However, would take a Pathie, with its low rev power anyday of the week. It's not the top of its class for nothing!
AnswerID: 29246

Reply By: cookie - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:49

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:49
The pathfinders torque low down is good but the challenger stacks up pretty well against it.
I have just recently purchased a 98 challenger and did quite a bit of research before deciding to go for one. I obtained the full power and torque curves from mitsubishi and the facts are as below.

Challenger-

3.0L V6 Petrol

Torque (max) - 265Nm @4500rpm

Torque (2800rpm) - 242 Nm
Torque (1500rpm) - 218 Nm

Fuel Economy (city) - 13 L/100k's

Pathfinder-

3.3L V6 Petrol

Torque (2800rpm) - 266 Nm (Max)
Torque (1500rpm) - 239 Nm

Fuel Economy (city) - 16 L/100k's

Power-

Pathfinder 125kW @ 4800rpm (max)

Challenger 126kW @ 4800rpm
136kW @ 5500rpm (max)

Yes the pathfinder has more torque low down, but the challenger has 91% of the torque low down from a smaller capacity motor, (91% smaller funnily enough), effectively the same maximum torque, granted it is higher in the range. Same power at 4800rpm and then more to go. But the biggest thing for me is the challenger uses 81% of the fuel a pathfinder uses.

Those are the numbers. I can send anyone the full curves for the challenger if they are interested.

Cookie.
AnswerID: 29879

Reply By: Wes - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 21:55

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 21:55
G'day Murfa,

Try TJM for the Snorkel. I think you'll find they carry the Airflow brand for the Challenger.

Cheers
Wes
AnswerID: 30500

Sponsored Links