Fitting Mechanical Trailer Brakes Calipers - Advice on how to go about this.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 19:07
ThreadID: 67980 Views:17186 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I searched the web for the best way to go about this but did not find much in the way of instructions. So trial and unfortunately error have given me the best way to go about this.

1) Fit the brake hub with bearings to the axle stub, no grease or seal at this stage - Do up the axle nut so the hub is fitted correctly.
2) Fit the mechanical brake caliper & tighten bolts to the axle mounting bracket.
3) Fit brake shoes to Caliper and position on to hub and Axle in position where you are going to weld the bracket.
4) Insert a 3mm spacer between thew outer pad and disc and tighten up the brake caliper adjuster screw until the caliper is held in place on the disc.
5) Brace the assembly in place and check that the calliper is sitting square on the rear slides.
6) You can now tack weld the bracket in place on the bottom rear and top rear.
7) remove the caliper and Brake hub and now weld front of bracket first and finish rear welds.
8) Clean & Paint.

I tried using measurements and squares to start with, unfortunately you do not have to be a long way out and the caliper will just not work. The above method works first go every time.

Hope this helps someone about to tackle this task. Cheers Tony

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 19:22

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 19:22
Another couple of points! Also make sure you pack the rear of the drum around the bearing to ensure no weld slag gets into the bearing when you Tack the brackets and cover your stubs why welding to prevent slag sticking to the bearing/seal surfaces. Allow axle to cool naturally and do not cool with water.
AnswerID: 360217

Sponsored Links