What trailer axle for Camper

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 08:16
ThreadID: 67997 Views:2435 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Mate is upgrading his camper for off road use. Has standard 39mm round axle. Trailer fairly light – he estimates 700-800kg loaded. Will axle cope with off-road use? thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:48

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:48
I would suggest it will be OK. Mine is a 40mm sq job & it withstood
all the Tanami, GRR etc could throw at at it, driven at sensible speed of course, but plenty of corrugations too. Only wear was the shackle bushs..dry type. Similar weight as well. New axles available from ALL State Trailer Spares at reasonable cost, if you
decide to uprate. I had to replace with a longer one to suit Jackaroo offset.......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 360308

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:22

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:22
The 39mm Axle is for a 750Kg max load capacity, so I assume so are the springs.

So it depends how much he wants to put on the trailer, the more load the larger the axle and the more spring leaves you will need as well. Best idea is to determine what you are going to take in the trailer and then weigh it all including the trailer. Multiply that by a safety factor to come up with your maximum weight load and design the trailer to that. If you put axles under the trailer that take its load capacity above 750kg you will also have to add brakes to the trailer. I can assure you this is not cheap as I have just upgraded my boat trailer. May be better then to sell that one and buy one that will suit!

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 360312

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:24

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:24
Hi JDWYNN

The solid 39mm axle is Ok - just - if you truly don't load any more than 750. What is the biggest concern is the type of hub and bearings you putting on to match the offroad wheel. Years ago I fitted landcruiser wheels to an off road trailer by just buying hubs that fit only std holden bearing like any trailer. Half way down the GRR I smashed the bearings. What I found is a large rim like a 4x4 rim and you need to be using heaving duting bearings like C class or I went the whole bit and had an axle made up to suit landcruiser hubs and bearings.
The other thing is for an offroad trailer do not have slipper springs. I saw so many trailers abandoned on the Gunbarrel Hwy that used to have slipper springs. Have full double eyelet springs. And for larger trailers you may even need shock absorbers. I found my trailer just bounced too much off road and I ended up fitting shockies.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360465

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:08

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:08
Hi David, thanks for very informative response. I forgot to say mate has fitted 6 stud hubs and 16" rims now and has slipper springs, so you've given us more to work on. I'm reading also the larger wheel adds somewhat to axle forces....Cheers JD
FollowupID: 628246

Sponsored Links