4x4 + 2x2 = 6x6 = pretty much unstoppable

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:35
ThreadID: 68001 Views:3518 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I read about this setup some time ago.
It addresses the problem of any trailer acting like a land anchor when the going gets tough.

Got to wondering if it could be built today, really doesn't sound too difficult
Tractor style PTO spline mounted at rear driven by propshaft from trans PTO all the bits are available off the shelf. The drawbar would probably be the hardest bit.

Site Link

I think the British Army went further with it for a gun carriage or something similar.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:51

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:51
GT

A mate of mine had one of those in Alice Springs for years. A very powerful combination. They were on the production line in limited numbers for a while.

On a run once out behind Boggy Hole the wagon tipped on its side into a washed out gully. My mate then engaged the trailer (you had to get out to do that) and the PTO hooked up to the trailer diff pulled the wagon back on to its wheels again. He sold the rig a couple of years ago to a bloke from England, who came out here to collect it. Aparently, as many roads in England are made from salt, most vehicles rust out and this Landrover 101 and trailer 6x6 combination had absolutely no rust in it.

Only trouble with the rigs were that they came out powered by a petrol V8.

1 mpg in the scrub...lol

Cheers
AnswerID: 360301

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:01

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:01
This technoloy is common even today in European countries in the agricultural sector. It is common for relatively small 4x4 tractors to tow huge farm trailers loaded to the hilt up steep and muddy paddocks as the trailer also is driven by a PTO shaft from the tractor PTO at rear.
AnswerID: 360305

Reply By: Joondalupgerry - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:41

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:41
I had considered playing around with such a set up...as I could see lots of possibilities in mud and sand.
My limited research led me to the British Army WW2 trials of similar set ups.
Apparently the trailer caused problems to the drive vehicle as it tended to jack knife the whole rig when cornering in difficult conditions.
I would imagine the English set up was a simple PTO drive back to a diff on the trailer. Perhaps now a set up could be designed with
computer technology to limit the trailers contribution when the tow vehicle is turning or experiencing wheel spin?
Cheers
Gerard
AnswerID: 360307

Follow Up By: Chris & Sue (Briz Vegas) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 16:48

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 16:48
Hi Gerard,

Ever thought of using hydraulic drive? Seems to have far less in the way of mechanical bits and pieces (no shafts, cv joints, differentials etc). I thought aboutit but never got any further.

I'm not sure about trailerapplications,butit's been experimented with om2WD motorbikes for a while now. KTM and Yamaha both have (had?) models. I also came across a totally hydraulic bike (front and back drive) on the internet at SIte Link

Cheers,
Chris
FollowupID: 628160

Follow Up By: Joondalupgerry - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:19

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:19
I think there are possibilities with that option, but probably above my limited work shop resources, (I'm a Kiwi on a long term working holiday and tend to move around a bit!) However when I get back to the farm in NZ I will definitely see what I can create.

Meanwhile I have invested in a great backseat driver..and as an added incentive to not getting stuck, I have promised her a new shovel.
FollowupID: 628233

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:06

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:06
Nice, but Unstoppable?- So much depends on the terrian GoneTroppo - I don't think wouldn't take long at all to find a hill which my Patrol would breeze up that would leave that type of vehicle floundering.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 360368

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 18:14

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 18:14
Hmmm like the one hill at the Pyrenees where the difflocks weren't working?.....hahahahahahahahaha
FollowupID: 628182

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:07

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:07
Us mortals need difflocks just to keep up with you Willem , but how would it be trying to drive that rig up that hill, what a challenge !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 628222

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:17

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:17
Robin that's highly likely until you compare apples and apples.

Hitch a trailer behind the Patrol fill it and the trailer with a 2.5 t payload. At that stage my money would be on the 101.

I have seen a 101 drive up and down both the Steps (when that was still open) and Rocky Track made it look pretty easy.
I believe they are both in your neighbourhood.

I have sucessfully driven both in the Defender when a lot of others were getting into trouble on the chicken track alongside so those two have my respect.

What makes the 101 work is approach and departure angles (and rampover) 900 16 tyres, very low centre of gravity and very good axle articulation.
If you were designing the "perfect" 4x4 these would be your "have to haves"

101 were in service for 30 odd years with the Brits and have only now been replaced by a Steyr Puch vehicle. OKA's were a modern copy.
FollowupID: 628247

Reply By: MartyB - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:52

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:52
I saw a setup that used a large starter motor to drive a diff. Push button the dash to give that extra push when needed. Obviously not for full time operation, maybe 30 seconds max. Could be feasable with a battery mounted in the trailer and charged off the alternator.

from Marty.
AnswerID: 360381

Reply By: Eric Experience - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:58

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:58
Gone Troppo.
These set-ups have been tried in other brands but have problems when turning, you can get massive over steer.
They are best used as a gee whiz talking point.
If you want to carry 2 Ton in the bush you are much better of with a Canter 4x4, with its standard rear diff lock and very low gearing you would go further than the driven trailer with a lot less drama. Eric
AnswerID: 360413

Sponsored Links