Calling all Jayco CT owners

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:04
ThreadID: 68022 Views:4877 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Jayco Finch CT. When winding up the roof at around the halfway mark there is a bit of a bang like the mechanism has missed a cog or something.

The noise has always been there and doesn't seem to be getting worse but i'm worried about it after the stories of breakdowns with cabling on exploreoz.

Is this normal for other users or do I have a potential problem? As the CT is under warranty I would like to address it in the short term.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 93 Navara - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:40

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:40
They all do it. My understanding is that it is the cables twisting over each other and slipping/giving. Its easy enough to get in there and have a look whilst someone else winds. The main issue with their system is the anchoring point for each cable, pretty poor.
Ben
AnswerID: 360406

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:43

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:43
Mike

I had one of those useless Jayco things, and was glad to get rid of it. Had the same problem as you, not to mention more serious issues.

The quality, backup service and response to clients needs are at the lower end of the scale, even for a mid range product.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 360407

Follow Up By: mintrax - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 20:32

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 20:32
Hi Kim,

Did the banging ever cause a problem? Did you have it looked at/repaired?

Michael
FollowupID: 628208

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 20:56

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 20:56
No Mike

I had nothing but problems with the Jayco, from gas, electrics, things falling off, jammed door frame, cupboards that wouldn’t lock, dust and a dealer who accusing me of being a liar.

In my case it was a sorry experience and I’ll never go back again.

Regards

Kim

FollowupID: 628212

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:45

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:45
Hi Michael

We had a 2004 Jayco Finch Outback model, we purchased it brand new, we never had any problems with the Windup mechanism, re going bang ect, BUT, we decided to put it up in our drive way to clean it, and the drive way as a slight incline, anyway we wound it up and cleaned it out ect, we went to have lunch, and when we came back to pack it up, we found that it had tilted over slightly on the Windup Supports, ie it leaned back towards the rear about 50mm, we managed to wind it down, and had it checked at the local Jayco Dealer, they replaced the Uprights under warranty.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 360410

Reply By: PradOz - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:55

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:55
hi michael - yes they often "go bang" when winding up/down. its fairly normal. you should be more aware of any change in tension etc when winding rather than worry re the "bang" noise. the older campers cables use to wind around each other. the newer ones had an additional part (Flat Needle Bearing Assembly) so that it allowed the main cable to rotate freely independent of the "Anchor Plate" which has all the other 4 cables fixed to it. i think its possible for the cables to still sometimes wind around themselves from time to time, but the bang is probably the anchor plate with 4 cables, untangling itself from the Bearing so it isnt tangled up. if you care to pull the covers off inside you will see the workings as it is wound up. depending on the age its a good idea anyway so you can lubricate the cables, winch etc. (saying that i dont do my own. even garage door cables are meant to be cleaned and lubricated but no one ever does them either) if you do open it up and look inside, NEVER run your hands along the actual cables as over time they could get sharp edges on them that will slice your hand open.

do a google search for a maintenance manual on jayco campers written by Trevor Eastman "Book 2 Service & Repair Manual JAYCO" and get a copy (around $35 to 40) its very handy as it explains all the workings of your camper, owner maintenance, and also explains how to fix the bits you may break over time. very handy to leave in an accessible spot in the camper so when you have a problem in the middle of nowhere you know what to do. (problem wont always be Jaycos fault as some may infer, your kids may bend the Slide Bed Assemblies by jumping on the beds b4 you fit the Bed Supports etc. This manual can help for all those sorts of things)

ALWAYS rotate the winch CLOCKWISE until it clicks a couple times when you lower the roof only part way down as this puts pressure on the brake and prevents the winch from continuing to release the cable when its not intended.

we often see people here on EO ask what to take etc for their remote trips away. most mention spares for the 4WD but few actually list what spares are needed for the camper. this manual also helps there too

i would suggest you make up 4 steel or timber uprights to support the roof when camping as it takes the strain off the winch etc, but the setup is designed to work without it so some will say why bother. its easy to do and i think helpful. more details are in the manual i referred to. good luck with the camper
AnswerID: 360454

Follow Up By: mintrax - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:15

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:15
Thanks Pradoz, a very informative posting that I'm sure will be appreciated by others as well.
FollowupID: 628276

Reply By: mintrax - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:14

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:14
Thanks to all for your informative replies it has helped greatly.

Michael
AnswerID: 360485

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:30

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:30
Hi Michael,

I have a 04 Dove and it's made a loud noise at about the third way up position since I've had it. I reckon I've wound it up 60+ times since I've owned it and it has never changed. I haven't crawled inside to watch while someone winds it up but as someone else said its a sudden change in the tension while winding that would be of more concern.

Cut a piece of timber or aluminium to fit the height when the roof is up. You would be very unlucky to have more than 1 cable break at any one time. This "prop" can be used with an assitant to push the failed corner up and hold it up until such time that you can either fix it or take it to a caravan shop.

Don't worry about a little issue like this stress out your holiday. The prop will fix any probs in the short term. I'd be more worried about driving on the highway during the holiday periods than a cable on my Jayco breaking.

Enjoy mate!!!
AnswerID: 360597

Sponsored Links