Vehicle Choice

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:17
ThreadID: 6806 Views:1600 Replies:12 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to know why people chose their particular 4b...when we decided to get ours 4 years ago the deciding factor was size [yes...size IS important] Al couldn't fit comfortably in other vehicles...but the 80 series was "reasonable" and if you're not sitting behind him...you too have leg room!! I went from driving a 70's model automatic Gemini stationwagon to a manual landcruiser whilst 8 months pregnant....not the best introduction...now I wouldn't drive anything else...

cheers Lyn [Mrs. Al]Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:34

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:34
I think $ has a lot to do with it I know a lot of people would upgrade to another 4x4 if they could aford it , I am changing mine as I find I need a longer range and more low end power as I am traveling further afield and tacking on harder tracks as my experiance increasesBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 29003

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:19

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:19
Mrs Al
she who must be obayed & has a kitchen full of sharp knifes was the reason we just purchased our new 3ltd nissan auto. she will not drive a manual around town & rather than have fleet of vehicles it was easer to go auto
regards Bruce
AnswerID: 29014

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:47

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:47
Hiya Bruce...I didn't drive a manual until this one...infact the night we got it, I burst into tears [remeber 8 months pregnant...Al was indeed a brave man!] and said "how could you do this to me..."...now...I curse him when he takes it away from me...:)Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20209

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:06

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:06
Gday Mrs Al
I did think of trying the rocking up with a manual trick, but then i decided that getting her out of the house was hard enough with puting an extra excuse in there.
btw she has only had 3weeks & im coping your not do that to my car
:( lol
FollowupID: 20235

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:11

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:11
Al came home with the $$$$ reason for not getting the manual....the worst part was....the guys' from Bendigo Toyota delivered the cruiser to our house...and took away my Gemini....and....I had to drive to my antenatal appointment on the Monday morning in the cruiser...and...my BP was so high they admitted me....hahah..Al was looking very sheepish for a while....now...I wouldn't mind taking it out in some mud...though I might have to clean it....Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20236

Reply By: matt - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:13

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:13
What is it with men doing this kind of thing to us??? I was also 8 mths pregnant when my husband tells me that he is trading in MY CAR! for a jackaroo I went ballistic and told him no but after a lot of grovelling I gave in and said yes. Now he often stirs and says hes selling the roo, but not in my lifetime hes not selling it. I would never go back to a liitle 2wd auto EVER
AnswerID: 29027

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:39

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:39
yeah they're good at trading in OUR things...hahah..now he looks so smug when I complain about driving something else...I don't mind if we upgrade...but that won't be for sometime...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20226

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:43

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:43
Why is it that you girls never want to step out of your comfort zone & part with your old bus yet the new one usually turns out to be so much better?
Examples : Mum just retired & wouldn't part with her 86 Corolla yet now we can't get her out of the new one. Wife won't let go of her 93 Corolla yet I just know she'll love the new Commodore I want to buy her and it's so much more practical for up here.
Not being critical - just curious that's all as I've heard of this over & over again and could cite another half dozen examples quite easily.
FollowupID: 20314

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:59

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:59
Hiya Coops..I think the mistake you blokes make is you make the decision for us....[even if it is the right one]...somehow you've got to convince us the decision was ours....I took an automatic cruiser for a test drive and I quite liked it....and was happy to change...the problem with me was...when the new cruiser arrived it was manual...!!!...and that's where the probs started...had it been automatic...no problemos...but now I'm not bothered either way.....Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20315

Reply By: The Moose - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:21

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:21
When we traded in our early 1990s standard diesel 80 series a few years ago the factors were: family of four dictated that it be a wagon, cost dictated it be second hand, reputation and past experiences dictated Toyota and being the only vehicle I wanted something with a bit more go around town so I went for petrol (80 series).
AnswerID: 29029

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:42

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:42
Hi Moose..yeah ours is a wagon too..which is great...we've had a full load of adults in there...and still managed to roll up the hill just outside Woodend [spooky I know..but it does work] ours is a '97 80 series 40th anniversary...and it's great...luuuuuuuuuuv it....Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20227

Follow Up By: The Moose - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:57

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:57
G'day Mrs Al
I've heard about spots where supposedly the laws of gravity are defied. I have read that there is always a logical explanation and that it is often an optical illusion that makes it look like one is rolling up hill when in fact it can't happen. There'd have to be a bloody great magnet at the top of the hill to pull a vehicle up!
Our vehicle is a 96 model and whilst it certainly chews up a bit more juice that the old diesel did it certainly is a lot better to drive. It's nice not having little old ladies dragging me off from the lights any more!
FollowupID: 20232

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:02

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:02
hi Moose...this is one hell of an optical illusion...we've had people lying on the road trying to figure it out....I don't know if it's an optical illusion or what it is...but I can tell you it's pretty bloody spooky rolling backwards up a hill...esp when you see the gradient...one of life's mysteries?? Don't know...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20234

Follow Up By: The Moose - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:28

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:28
Hello Again
Do you own a GPS? If not I'm sure Mr Al deserves one. Why not take a reading at either end of the road and see what up and what's not!
FollowupID: 20239

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:35

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:35
Hi....Mr. Al would no doubt love a GPS...and I guess we could do that...but it would take a bit of the fun out of it...maybe we'll do it to satisfy our curiosity and not tell our OS guests when they come over and leave them astounded....Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20241

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:22

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:22
Good to hear you girls are enjoying your 4wds, my missus had never been off road untill we met and now see loves it.

She doesn't drive the Cruiser though !
AnswerID: 29030

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:44

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:44
kev...I'd never been in one either...until I took an automatic one for a test drive...said it was ok...and then he arrives home one evening and says he's bought a manual one...I could have killed him..I had not driven a manual in over 10 years and that was under protest!!!....
Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20229

Follow Up By: matt - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:49

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:49
Tell her shes missing out on life my parents 85 cruiser wagon was what I learnt to drive in. It was great around the farm we used to pull stumps out with it when the tractor couldn't, brilliant machine really, bit of a juice guzzler. But sadly my mum decided to roll it, it held up pretty well. I can remember coming home from school and dad answering the phone to mum saying, "can you come and get me darl I'm in the car upside down." She come out unhurt but the car was a write off.
FollowupID: 20230

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:46

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:46
When my Landcruiser passed away I was caught short with the readies and in a moment of stupidity bought a Ford wagon. Then that had a coronary up in Queensland and I was further into the shiat(quoting Truckster). Standing on the side of the road with only a caravan presented a problem. Cash limited me to the old dear Patrol G60 which we have kept 5 years now and travelled over 100,000km with.
Then fortunes changed but instead of buying a new turbo diesel you-name-it we bought a house. And then SHE said...."I'm not driving THAT, any longer" and an automatic Commodore was acquired. So that's me lot.....now I just dream of what may have been and use up oodles of juice to go where I want to..............:-))) I get there just the same.

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 29037

Reply By: macca - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 15:56

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 15:56
After travelling around the west in a four runner, I decided to trade it in on a second hand 80 series Turbo Diesel. "Too BIg Too Noisey Too everything" was all I heard from the Commanding Officer. Now after 350K and trading it in on a new Challenger I have incured the wrath of GOD and HER. How dare I get rid of HER Cruiser it was only just starting to be run in etc etc etc.. now everytime we head off in the the Mr Bitchy,she sulks about it not being the same. I have to keep reminding her that we couldnt afford a new Cruiser. But insistant that this car (Mr Bitchy) will be going as soon as and we WILL be affording a new Cruiser...Thats my lot!!
AnswerID: 29046

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 18:49

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 18:49
good evening mr&mrs al.
after the birth of number 4 we had to update from the festiva trio.
we were looking around for a falcon/commodore 6 seater wagon when i had to go to bendigo toyota(how did you find them) and bring a patrol back for a set of tyres.
well after driving it back i though hmm 7 seats and we could visit all them places up the high country we could see eveyone else going to while we just sat around camp(not that its a bad thing).
so i took the cook there the following lunch time and got her to test drive it.
of course she loved it.
they were asking about $13000 for it and thats what we had to spend.
i teed it up with the guys there to take it home for a coup[le of days and weekend to give it a good going over.
tookit home thursday night then looked in the trading post again.
and what was there 1990 rb30 duel fuel$7000.
i thought thats cheap but being in melb it would be sold.
so i phoned the guy anyway and said he had just got home and heaps of calls on mesage machine and was going to call them back in order.
after we spoke a little turned out i went to school with his son.
asked how quick i could be there and told me he would wait before calling other people back.
drove it home that night.
that left a little money for some goodies.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 29085

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 19:14

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 19:14
Hiya Diamond...

what do you mean how did we find Bendigo Toyota...we're not that far from Bendigo...and they had the cruiser we wanted...actually they were taking it back to melb to the wholesaler, and Al rang them and did the deal driving home on the mobile...and so he came to our place...we took it for a test drive [read Al took it for a test drive] and he drove back to bendigo in my little Gemini with no heating and no cd's..ahahhha....

and the rest as they say is history.....

[ps..that little Gemini now lives in the same street as Al's parents...and it was a great little car...the best buy we ever made $1300 with a roadworthy and we spent no money on it for over 12 months and we got $1500 as a trade in..hehe]Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20265

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 19:19

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 19:19
lol i meant how did you find the people to deal with there.
i know your out in woop woop lol
but bendigo not to hard to find lol
—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 20266

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 19:36

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 19:36
Al found them...I don't know how...but we're talking about the same man who drove to the middle of NSW to get an oldsmobile!!!!...so finding the cruiser wasn't that hard...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 20267

Reply By: Member - Al Symers(SA) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 21:57

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 21:57
Hi, Mrs Al----
That truck in that photo that you so lovely fixed up for me, is my fourth cruiser. The first one in 1983 belonged to my big brother who wanted to change it over so I swapped it for my old Beema. Best thing I ever did. So I guess I'm a cruiser man.
I know I'm biased but have never been let down by them. I prefer manuals and the last 2 have been diesels.Al Symers
AnswerID: 29108

Reply By: Old Jack - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 22:04

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 22:04
Having owned a number of 4wd's over the years and getting supplied with differant ones as work vehicals I bough a Jackaroo turbo diesel from my work.. was so impressed with the 1990's model with that had done over 400,000 klm on a petrol motor when one of the guys left & his 2000 model 3lt turbo diesel came up for sale I bought it! it's easy to drive, light on fuel. runs like a clock & does everything asked of it both on & off the road. you can sit 5 adults in it with comfort & with a load on it still goes like stink up the hills in 5th gear!
AnswerID: 29110

Reply By: Fred - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 23:22

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 23:22
Well Mrs Al you got lots of responses. Very light on reasons for buying a four wheel drive but it's been good to read your family details. I find pregnancies so interesting .... it's been a good read sort of like a gossip column!
AnswerID: 29141

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:26

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:26
Yeah Fred, This site is becoming a real family affair and it remains very friendly. Every now and then someone says something snakey but on the whole there is a good attitude on Exploroz forum and lots of good advice.

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 20319

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:48

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:48
I bought the 80 series as there's plenty of 'em up here in the NW so I thought that help (or spares) would always be just around the corner. I hate being like everyone else but they're such a great fourby that I really can't see me driving anything else for quite some time yet. For the record I wouldn't touch a 100 series though !
AnswerID: 29159

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:20

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:20
Hey Coops,
You are back again! But where is the pick of that other fellas truck?
Haha.....

Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 20318

Sponsored Links