12 volt speakers for i pod

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 02:43
ThreadID: 68061 Views:9111 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy crew, hope everyone had a safe and relaxing Easter!

Does anyone out there use or can anyone tell me where to get speakers for my i pod that run off/ or can be recharged by 12 volt power.
specifically ipod docking station style which is portable so I don't have to hardwire anything into the camper!

Have done the various 12 volt searches, ebay,electronics mobs, and marine and just can't seem to find anything.

I must have my rock n roll !!!

All be it turned down low of course so as not to disturb my fellow travellers !

cheers,

Evan

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tonbon - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 05:30

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 05:30
Hi Evan, did a quick search and found these to little units. The first one doesnt have 12-volt adaptor and runs off batteries only but i can tell that Altec Lansing make an excellent speaker, second to none. The second, whilst not same quality does run off both batteries and a 12-volt adaptor. the site i got them from was:

http://www.maclife.com/article/12_top_ipod_speakers?page=0%2C3

inMotion iM9

Altec Lansing's inMotion iM9 doesn’t look like a boom box, but you can't miss its clean, booming sound. It can't double as a set of high-quality home speakers, but offers a lot more than we expected from a portable system. Plus, the 4-pound, 11-by-7.8-by-3-inch speaker has a shock-resistant design that uses heavy-duty plastic parts to soften any blows.

While the iM9 excels in the audio department, it also has some severe limitations. For example, it lacks a remote and a handle, but it does come with a backpack that can hold extra batteries (the iM9 uses four C batteries), a small mobile phone, a can of Red Bull, and an issue of Mac|Life folded in thirds. Also, the volume buttons can be difficult to press.

And the iM9 has an odd quirk. When you turn it off, your iPod continues to play. In other speaker stands we tested, the docked iPod switched to charging-only mode when the speaker is powered down.

inMotion iM9

Altec Lansing

www.alteclansing.com

$199.95

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

iH31

iHome's iH31 is an inexpensive boom box to pump out your iPod tunes at the beach or around the campfire. You probably won't use the iH31 as you ramble down your block - its handle is better designed for the short trip from your car to your picnic spot.

The 15.1-by-5.6-by-5.6-inch unit can use eight C batteries or the included 12-volt adapter. It also has an FM radio and can store six presets, though we wish it had an AM radio so we could listen to a ballgame.

Your iPod, including the first-gen shuffle, fits securely in a cradle, and a plastic shield protects it from stray Frisbees. The remote lets you control the volume, tracks, and FM presets, but there's no place on the iH31 for you to stash it. The speaker comes in black, silver, or white.

The iH31's speakers produce good midrange and bass. But for a boom box, it lacks serious boom. Still, if you like to turn it up, you'll like the iH31's ability to go full volume without distortion.

iH31

iHome

www.ihomeaudio.com

$99.99

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 360645

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:31

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:31
Evan

my daughter has the Altec Lansing iM7 similar the one that Tonbon mentioned.

It sounds brilliant and is quite compact.

I note that the DC input is 17V 2.3 A so you would need to buy a DC to DC converter to run it off your 12 V supply. It does contain D cells which could be removed and charged but that is a bit fiddly.

Bob
FollowupID: 628538

Reply By: Grungle229 - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 07:16

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 07:16
Hi Evan,

I went through the same thing a few months back and went through WOW's stock until I found one with a 240V to 12V power supply. This was the Logitech Pure-Fi Express (part#: LOG3684 from WOW).

I then used a 12V cig plug with the right DC plug on the end to power from the camper (standard one from a rechargable lantern so only need 1 lead for a few DC gizmos). It is not as super loud as some out there but that is good so we do not annoy others. Provides nice background music whilst chatting or doing the cooking or dishes. Also has a remote control to advance songs and adjust volume etc.

Has all the docking adaptors to cover all iPods and iPhone. You can also get a Plus model and express which have better speakers, digital displays etc but are getting too bulky and power hungry. Link -> Logitech Pure-Fi Review

Regards
David
AnswerID: 360647

Reply By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:38

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:38
you mean Bose dont make one?
AnswerID: 360658

Reply By: The Fox - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 20:48

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 20:48
By using this 12v adaptor you can widen your search for speakers that run off 5, 6, 9 or 12 volts.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3478&CATID=24&form=CAT&SUBCATID=619

my isoniq ipod base runs on 9 volts and incorporates a radio, clock and alarm.

Trevor

AnswerID: 360753

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 00:06

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 00:06
thanks to all replies, will further investigate with these new suggestions

cheers

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360800

Sponsored Links