oill additives for noisy tappets

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 08:35
ThreadID: 68095 Views:10471 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

i bought 2000 suzuki grand vitara a few months back and it has noisy tappets especially when its cold on start up. Can anyone tell me please if there is a product on the market such as a oil additive that can be added to your oil to reduce the noisy tappets. I did try i think it was a wynns brand additive and it did absolutely nothing for the noise.

Also ive heard alot of different stories about how one should attack very soft and deep sand on the beach especially coming on to the beach and off it. Some people tell me to let your tyres down to about 16 psi and attack it in high 4 and others tell me to definately use low 4. Which gear range is best , high or low?

cheers .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robnicko - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:21

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:21
Noisy tappets or timing chain? Noise on cold startup could be an oil pressure issue. Nulon have a 'lifter free' additive that has good reviews. I have started using the Nulon Oil Flush now on my Landcruiser and have noticed that the oil stays alot cleaner since doing so.
I think with the Lifter Free additive you put it in and drive the vehicle for a week kor so then dump the oil and change.

How long since the tappets were adjusted? Out of adjustment tappets may rattle until oil gets in between them as well.

Rob
AnswerID: 360833

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:27

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:27
Conditions can vary but I would air down to about 18 psi and see how the vehicle performs, you can always go a bit lower if needed. I use high ratio in sand - it's torque that you need not high revs. you will soon find which gear to use in the very soft stuff, depends if you are just crossing a soft bit at the top of the beach or climbing a dune. Try it and see- that's part of the fun learning how to drive in various conditions.

AnswerID: 360836

Reply By: austastar - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:27

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:27
I think I would be adjusting (or at least checking) the tappet clearance as a first move.
cheers
AnswerID: 360837

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:56

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:56
Hi Grand

Not sure on your tappet set up - if they are hydraulic lifters and only rattle for 1 min or so after start up it is not a huge issue. The hydraulic lifters are self adjusting but when they get older the seals go and overnight the oil drains out of them. If the rattle stays much longer - say until it warms up - then it is probably a mechanical issue ranging from the timing chain rattling (big issue) to mechanical adjustment of the tappet spacings. Noisy tappets are less harmful than overtight tappets.

Beach sand driving is a thing WA drivers get good at as that is what is mostly over here. When I get really stuck my tires will go down to around 10psi. But only till I get out then I will put air back in to around 20 for normal tracks. Tyres down to 10 can either bounce on the rim and split the tyre or spin a tyre off the rim. I have done both when being in real soft sand. Real difficult changing tyre in that sort of sand - you need a hilift jack.

As for speed and gear - as others said you will work it out. Best to run a hard track back and forth to start with and then have a good go. Start in high 2nd gear and if you find your car runs out of choof go to low range.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360844

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:13

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:13
The lighter vehicles need lower pressure to get the tyres to ballloon out,so 16 would be in the ballpark for a zook.

The gears will be decided on the day.
High gear is nice if the engine can handle it,as you will float across the top with the speed.

The lower the tyre pressure ,the higher the gears;)
AnswerID: 360848

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:15

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:15
Dont listen to Mandurah people,the sand is like a gravel road down there.
Only the northerners know about beach driving in Perth

; )
FollowupID: 628593

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:26

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:26
This might be of interest
Redline Oil

Just type in your vehicle and it will also recommend what to flush it with.
AnswerID: 360851

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:59

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:59
I assume it is a 2.5 V6 with hydraulic lifters?

Sometimes it can be as simple as a faulty non return valve in the oil filter especially if a cheap filter has been used.

With regard to sand it is really up to you whether you use third low or first high to enter or leave a beach. They are usually about the same overall ratio.

The main issue is momentum and to not try to accelerate on the soft sand or uphill. The normal procedure is to get a run up on the hard sand on the waters edge to the speed you believe is appropriate in the soft stuff, then try to maintain the speed on the soft stuff.

Once you are moving at a reasonable speed you will feel the car start to "plane" . I assume it is a manual, so be aware changing down a gear is usually impossible on soft uphill sand.

I usually run my tyres at about 16PSI on the beach and let down further if bogged. A Vitara is usually light Vs the tyre load/size and can possibly take a bit lower pressures without dislodging tyre beads. BUT no sharp turns or hard braking.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 360856

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:22

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:22
I have a 2002 GV.

What engine is in yours?

The Suzi engines have been known to have timing chain guide issues. The problem comes about when you use too thick oil. The dealer put 15W40 in mine and was very noisy as the timing chain wasn't getting enough oil. This only happened at startup and reduced when it warmed up. I've now switched to 5W30 and it's fine. 10W40 also works fine as well.

I would be doing an engine flush to clean out the oil galleries and use thinner oil.

Oil additives tend to thicken the oil, which is exactly what you DON"T want.

I've run my tyres at 10psi and was still fine (never rolled off the bead). I generally run 16psi but the tyres hardly bag out at all.
AnswerID: 360869

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:23

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:23
What oil are you using? I'm guessing its too thick. Lower viscosity oil may get rid of the noise as the oil gets to the top of the motor quicker.
AnswerID: 360870

Sponsored Links