Primes Extended Explorer Canvas Tent

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 23:17
ThreadID: 68123 Views:6184 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have just recently purchased a Primus Extended Explorer. It is a touring style canvas tent. I particularly wanted the Freedom tent but couldn't afford it. This cost me $459 from my local camping store, as opposed to about $1700 for an equivalent freedom. I purchased this one over the OzTrail 9 plus as it has a PVC floor as opposed to the OzTrail that only has a PE floor (Tarp material). However I noticed after purchasing it that even though the size of the OzTrail and the Primus is equivalent and they both include the internal frame and they both apparently use 340gsm (12oz) canvas that the Primus was about 3.5kg lighter. If anything I would have thought it would have been heavier given the heavier floor.

I'm seasoning it at the moment and felt that there is an excessive amount of water in the bottom of the tent, but after reading others experience with the oztrail doing the same I don't feel so bad. :P

Having said all this my first impressions of the tent is fairly good. I like the plastic up the windows to allow light in when it is raining without letting the rain in. The window covers have loops so that they can be rolled up to the top of this plastic. It has 2 columns of very handy pockets up the back wall. The back window has an outer covering but also includes an internal covering for privacy etc. The centre pole protrudes through the top of the tent and has a cap that goes over it to stop the rain from coming in (this will be easy to lose). I noted when researching that the freedom tent did a similar thing and they attached a canvas awning to the top of the internal pole. I plan on having a similar setup. I think it is by far the best and stongest way to put an awning up.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has one of these tents and can give me some feedback on their experience with it. I believe Primus has purchased Kookaburra so this is one of theirs I assume. I would also appreciate it if anyone has any idea on the missing 3.5 kg.

Cheers Kent

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bri - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 00:06

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 00:06
Hi Kent

We also had an Oztrail 6 trailer camper and ...yes it got wt inside when I let it weather. When it dried I sprayed some sealer (canvas) on al the seams and that solved the problem. If the weight difference was going by the manufactures specs I would think the it would be their methods of appling the specs

Good camping
Bri
AnswerID: 360998

Follow Up By: Kentw - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 09:52

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 09:52
In terms of seam sealer, they suggest using candle wax and rubbing that over the seams etc to seal it. I used to use Bees wax on my leather boots and found that to be excellent. I was thinking of using bees wax on the seams of the canvas tent. Any thoughts on this?
FollowupID: 628769

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 07:37

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 07:37
Kent
We have 05 Red Desert Ext tourer tent (Primus I think) with PVC floor. Friends bought same a year or so after us and it then had a tarp type floor. Friends was significantly lighter. So you're right about PVC - no question. Red Desert is polycotton canvas - I wonder if OZtrail is true canvas? In any case, IMO, they can't both be 340gsm. PS we've been very happy with our tent. Cheers JD
AnswerID: 361010

Follow Up By: Kentw - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 09:55

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 09:55
You are correct about Primus now owning Red Desert. I suspect that the Primus tent is a Red Desert. Does yours have two windows on each side or just one. Here is a picture of it.http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/pdf/pg_29%20920332%20Explorer%20Extended.pdf
FollowupID: 628770

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:27

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:27
Kent, ours has just the one window - hadn't seen this. ours doesn't have tarp? in front of door either - nice detail.
FollowupID: 628778

Follow Up By: Bri - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 16:59

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 16:59
Hi Kent

I am sure bees wax would be fine ,I just found the spray a lot easier to apply and cost under $20
Good luck
Bri
FollowupID: 628835

Sponsored Links