Hayman reese tow hitch (failure)

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 14:23
ThreadID: 68135 Views:4920 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.

Some time back I shared a situation that I had encountered with a virtually brand new HR tow hitch.
The tongue had cracked & was bent after another vehicle had backed into it, what made me wonder about the failure was the lack of force in the impact, the speed of the other vehicle would have been about half walking pace, the tongue left very damage on the area of the tailgate where it impacted to the point that the owner has not bothered repairing it.
I took the hitch back to Repco where I had originally purchased it, their warranty bloke had a look at it & to my surprise reluctantly said... "Well, yeah... Ok we'll give you a new one". Had I accepted that that would have been the end of it.
I didn't accept their offer thinking that the integrity of the steel that the tongue is made from has to be better than than this to withstand such a piddly impact, so I contacted Consumer Affairs.

Long story short: Here is the report from the testing.

Please find attached the final report in the analysis of the InterlockTBM.It has been a long drawn out process, impart due to accessibility of the testing equipment in our test lab.Note: In the last 2-3 years of sales this is the only reported concern related to cracking of the TBM. Testing Summary.The TBM has been tested in normal operating conditions and passed the fatigue at 2,000,000 cycles, no cracking or damage to the TBM was observed. The TBM was further tested in the similar set as used by Mr George. This Included the use of a Tregg Coupling, Fatigue testing was carried out atthe severe angle that can be experienced when using the Tregg Coupling.The TBM reached over 1.4 Million Cycles when the Tregg Coupling failed.This was repaired and the testing continued up to 1,771,945 cycles. TheTBM showed signs of cracking and the testing stopped. Conclusion: The Interlock TBM is a product of sound design and suitable for standard On-road Towing applications.The product may under extreme off-road applications when using towing accessories such as the Tregg Coupling come under abnormal stresses andmay fatigue to a point of cracking. Should you have any further questions please forward to myself.

Now the reply from Consumer Affairs.

From this Office perspective the trader in this instance has provided a comprehensive report of testing performed on the Interlock TBM and its results. Whilst no explanation was provided as to why your unit cracked in the manner it did, the testing was performed to Australian Standards under normal operating conditions. In the absence of any other complaints for this product the Office of Fair Trading has no grounds to pursue the matter further at this point in time however, we will continue to monitor this product and should it come to our attention again further action as appropriate will be considered.
Thank you for bringing this matter to the Office of Fair Trading and please don't hesitate to contact me should you wish to speak with me further regarding this response.

I'll open another thread & try to post the actual test results... Don't know if it will be successful though as it contains photos in it, that being the case if anyone is interested my Email is 33bravo@gmail.com

Cheers Tommy...

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 14:57

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 14:57
It seems they have all missed the obvious, the quality of the steel.. as you mentioned above. What a waste of time, what should have happened was an analysis of the steel. As you mentioned, you were surprised at the damage, considering the impact, That should given them a clue that it was not the design, but the steel used in the tongue.. Comsumer affairs have missed the point as well!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 361079

Follow Up By: 2TommyGuns - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 16:26

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 16:26
G/day Michael.

Much like your little ditty mate.
My reply to Consumer Affairs was nearly word for word of what you have said, so I guess anything short of a catastrophic failure & resulting death the status quo shall remain.
I've done all I can do.

Cheers Tommy
FollowupID: 628829

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:58

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:58
Tommy, At least you gave it your best, Its hard to believe the most important fact was overlooked.. I guess you can see why the court systems in this country are in a mess. Same thinking!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 628902

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 14:59

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 14:59
Hmmm, interesting...
Thanks for pursuing the matter, and posting the results:)

Who did the testing, and how many samples were tested?

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 361080

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 15:24

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 15:24
It appears to have been tested initially before production of the unit and not for the purpose of the complaint. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 628816

Follow Up By: 2TommyGuns - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 16:46

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 16:46
G/day Ed.

Mate if you want to Email me I can post you the results they are on a PDF attch.
The testing was done by Trimas corp & TriMotive, probably one & the same. I understand only one sample was tested.
You could say from all the testing the results were pretty impressive, you could also say that the mob that make the Treg off road hitch would be mightily impressed with the performance of their product as well, a nice little bit of PR thank you very much Hayman Reese.

Cheers Tommy
FollowupID: 628833

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 19:43

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 19:43
G'day Tommy,

email sent.. Many Thanks:)

Regards, Ed C

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 628861

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 15:09

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 15:09
Off topic, but still HR, I had a problem with the hole ( which hold the insert in place ) elongating when towing my 16 ft Bushtracker. The pin was becoming quite a sloppy fit. I guess the metal was a bit soft or perhaps not thick enough.

I solved the problem by having another thickness again welded onto where the pin enters and exits.

I have heard quite a few complaints about this on the Bushtracker forum.

Willie.
AnswerID: 361081

Follow Up By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 21:15

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 21:15
Hi Willie

I had the same hole elongation issue with my factory fit Toyota tow hitch. Fixed it by welding a nut bolt lock at 45deg. No more noise and movement.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 628881

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:25

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:25
Well then, we can say that that was a serendipity in Mandurah.

Willie.
FollowupID: 628898

Follow Up By: Ray - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:59

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:59
I had a similar problem with elongated pin hole. I have now fitted a steel sleeve in mine and a bolt to clamp everything. The bolt does not go through the tang though only clamps it.
FollowupID: 628932

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:35

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:35
Ray,
I did not mention it before, but I also put a sleeve in as well as adding to the side thickness. It is bullet proof now !
Willie.
FollowupID: 628946

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:58

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:58
I have eliminated the rattle problem by drilling 2x ½" holes through the bottom of the receiver/hitch, w/- corresponding threaded holes in a short length of 10mm flat bar, which slips inside the tang, 2x ½" HT bolts, and she's locked up solid...
No rattling, no movement of any kind (and no elongation of the hitch pin hole;-))

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 628954

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 20:14

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 20:14
Hi 2TommyGuns,
I was just going through some old save threads and was wondering how you got on. Thanks for posting.
As Michael has mentioned 'the quality of the steel' is a factor that they have not tested.
And the response from the Office of Fair Trading seems to be within their understanding of the matter.

I admire your pursuit of this matter, as it is every consumers right to do so and bring faulty workmanship or materials to the attention of the seller/producer and regulators.
You are dead right to have concerns for the safety of the end user and public in general and this is another factor that they have failed to address, as that All involved have a duty of care.

What I've come to understand on such matters is that if they admit there is fault with the product they are liable. Which opens up another can of worms.
I don't know where you go from here, But thank you again for posting.

AnswerID: 361138

Sponsored Links