Toyota saga finally over!, I think!!..lol.

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 20:59
ThreadID: 68147 Views:2980 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
As i mentionrd a while back, Swmbo's , stolen subaru was replaced with a LC100 series 4.7L V8 petrol . On the first week of ownership, luckily my sensitive ear picked up a not so normal rattle on cold start up. To cut a mile long story short it went back to the dealer, and as it was a unwarrantable vehicle due to the ks on it, Fair trading warranty under the goods fit for the purpose
supplied, had a impact on this deal. Although no action was taken as the dealer admitted he was obliged to fix the noise and attemped to do so , the cheapest way he thought possible, which lead to the most rediculous turn of events imaginable.

For some reason the botton end, and the two of the pistons were worn which caused the noise. The motor was pulled apart some things fixed, only to find a noise still there on idle !! This went on for two months and every time they handed it back I did the same handed it back!!!!, it was not right. Swmbo had lost all faith and i had a her tied up with rope to stop the phone call to the solicitor as i knew a real time consuming costly thing was to eventuate there!!. Patience is a virture!!, Lo and behold the dealer got the Chits in the end and rebuilt the motor from one end to the other , Rebore , new pistons rings crank grind, bearings, full set of bucket and shims top end, it runs like a dream
now, and i think it should be rightfor some time to come, but at 177000ks i wonder why so much wear?? Serviced every ten thousand by toyota, using castrol 10w/30, after seeing with my own eyes some of the wear!, Castrol is definitley OFF! my shopping list.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 21:13

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 21:13
Hi Axle, glad to hear the problem is fixed. So what was the problem in the end ?? 177k is very low klms to require a rebuild. I wonder is this a common problem with those motors not that I have read about it anywhere. Should be right now anyway, lets hope the rebuild was all done properly and no more issues, at least they come to the party and fixed for you more then I could say for other manufactures. ..........WHG
AnswerID: 361153

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 21:23

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 21:23
G/day WHG,.... The prob at the start i don't know!, I also hope its not a toyo stuff up with another motor, but on research i have not heard of any probs other than some that were run on gas!

When tuned right they are one engine that you could sit a glass of water on, absoluteley beautiful!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 628884

Reply By: brett - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:08

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:08
How do you know the 17 oil changes all used castrol 10w30, did they note the oil type used in the log book? Checking the Castrol website they don't have a 10w30 listed
AnswerID: 361181

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:55

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:55
Rang Toyota , thats the oil most of them use, have a look at the 44s out the back of their workshops.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 628929

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:16

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:16
Axle

I was surprised to read of your misfortune with the V8. It sounds like the dealer is very ethical though to completely rebuild the donk. I wonder what that job would cost.

I also wonder what the previous owner did, or was it just a dud donk.

Mines done 320,000 km and still runs like new. It uses no oil, is eerily quiet, and still feels quite punchy. I am expecting it will outlast available petroleum reserves.

I hope it gives you trouble free service from here on.

Bob
AnswerID: 361183

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:00

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:00
Have Heard of probs occuring with them when run on gas, but nothing but praise other than that.

From what i can gather $ 6000.00 was spent, but i would think with there buying power and labour cost it would have been more like five thousand.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 628933

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:46

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:46
There seems to be little point in warranty laws if Fair Trading can overule them.

It is good that you got it fixed.
AnswerID: 361186

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:55

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:55
If that is the case then how does Nissan not be forced to fix the known issues of their Lemon Grendae motor when they blow up??

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 628930

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:41

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:41
I am referring more to used vehicle warranties, every purchaser has the right to an independent mechanical check prior to purchase.

Also, people are their own worst enemies as we have seen here on several occasions, particularly in regard to the infamous 3.0L Patrol, they still buy them knowing full well of the issues & when the inevitable happens, they cry foul.
FollowupID: 628939

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:33

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:33
Axle I am curious to know about the pre purchase test driving you would have done. It is interesting that the noise was only there at cold start up. Was the engine always warm when you went to inspect vehicle before purchase. If so do you think they knew about noise and made sure it was warm before any potential buyers came along. Or am I just too cynical ........
GPM
AnswerID: 361200

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:59

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:59
Oldest trick in the book when selling.
I almost got caught once, well more than once.
Went to look at a car, and they had "moved it of the garage for me".
It sounded good, and the heavier oil and "sports exhaust" (for better economy), hid some bad noises.
Until I put a screw driver on to use like a a stethoscope to listen to the engine. It just didn't sound right.
Thanks but no thanks.
But another time I didn't hear the bad engine.

You just don't know sometimes. :o(
FollowupID: 628923

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:52

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:52
Hi Gpm, The noise came into the motor after it sat there idling for a while, turned out to be piston slap on 2& 4. I did a 50k test run and stopped and had a listen to the motor a couple of times.and there was not a sound in it. Another 55k drive home still didn't bring any noise out, it was a day later when started up in the garage that i heard something. the vehicle wasn't purchased at a toyo dealer, but have bought off him before and have had no probs. They have been around a long time so i would be very surprised if something shonky was attempted by them, more likeley before hand. The service book was stamped right up to date By toyota dealer Just wondering wether this might be where the shonky stuff went on !! They would be game . The thing is tight as a drum , driveline,transfer,etc, shows no sign of abuse inside or out. drives like a dream.

Just one of those things that happens along the way, At least they fixed it, have heard worst stories...lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 628927

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:27

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:27
My daughter has a V8 LC100 and it has the knock when cold but when warm, not a noise. Has been serviced by Toyota since new but the local dealer won't touch it as it has done 170.000.
Sounds like a bearing knock to me but after a few minutes it's gone. If it was mine I would be worried but daughter just shrugs and keeps driving. (Oh to be mechanically ignorant and not worry when you hear that unfamiliar noise).

AnswerID: 361231

Follow Up By: brett - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 21:59

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 21:59
That's probably piston slap, just get any Holden LS1 owner to have a listen. While it doesn't sound very good it's not a major problem.
FollowupID: 629099

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 22:12

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 22:12
Brett!!, I"m afraid your on the wrong track there!, It is a major problem , Believe me!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 629102

Follow Up By: brett - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 22:58

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 22:58
A knocking noise when cold at idle which goes away after a few minutes is classic piston slap. It's common in all alloy motors, I assume the toyota has an alloy block? as a holden LS1 owner since 2001 I've read alot about piston slap.
However I know nothing about toyota V8's so I'm only guessing but as described it certainly sounds like piston slap. Knocking noises due to bearings generally don't go away after a few minutes, there always there.
FollowupID: 629109

Sponsored Links