GPS maps

Hi all,
I have a Garmin GPSmap 276c with Garmin topo loaded and I know you can load Mining tenament maps onto the unit, but cannot quite get my head around how to do it. Will be off soon to WA goldfields and would like to have some tenement maps loaded. Can anyone give me some easy to follow instructions on how to do it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:01

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:01
"and I know you can load Mining tenament maps onto the unit"
now thats interesting,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 361163

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:49

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:49
Hello
As far as I know there are no"Mining tenement maps" available (free or otherwise) in the correct format to load onto Garmin GPS units.

Do you just need the tenement boundaries or do you want the geology maps?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 361188

Follow Up By: Goldfind (Dunsborough) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:51

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:51
Thanks for your reply Greg, the tenement details are available from the Mines Dept in WA "Tengraph online" and yes it is the boundaries rather than the geology.

Regards Wayne
FollowupID: 628940

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:30

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:30
Hello - Yes I am familar with Tenegraph (use to be a geo and going prospecting week after next as well). I will be using some of the tenement maps in OziExplorer - by converting the downloadable PDF files to OZF. This is a raster format. Garmin requires a special vector format so using the data direct from tenegraph is not possible.

If you were keen you could however download the actual tenement boundaries (from the data download section on the website) which are in vector format. It is possible, using one or two free programs, to convert this to garmin format as a transparent layer that would then overlay what ever maps you already have loaded. There is a bit of a learning curve involved ...and as I said I dont know of any premade garmin version of this data. Your only hope would be if someone has already done it (doubt it) and is willing to share. Also, obviously, you would need to update the data often as the tenements can change daily.

Good luck - I am doing a whirlwind tour through Kal, Agnew, Sandstone, Mt Magnet and Yalgoo in a week.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 628944

Reply By: Goldfind (Dunsborough) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:38

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:38
Thanks again Greg, I will have a look at trying this and good luck on your trip, I too will be up that way from the 12th although I am involved with APLA and will be attending their annual camp north of Cue.
Regards Wayne
AnswerID: 361233

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:55

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:55
Good stuff - let everyone know that in a month or two I will be making available a set of 100K Geology maps of the goldfields (well most of it 200+) set up and ready to go with OziExplorer. It will show the location of all the (known) abandoned minestes. All this data is availble from the mines department - just thought I'd make it easy and convert it all for those that use OziExplorer. Example below

Image Could Not Be Found

You can also overlay the tenement data ...but the download from the mines departemnt needs to be split up as its too large for OziExplorer to handle.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 628951

Sponsored Links