Installing NATMAP Digital Maps onto OziExplorer

Submitted: Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:05
ThreadID: 68167 Views:2172 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,

I am sure this topic may have been covered somewhere in the Forums but couldn't find a thread.

I have recently purchased the NATMAP Digital Maps from this sites lovely shop.

I have some maps already installed on my harddrive however I have no idea how to import the new maps I have purchased. It is mainly the 1:250k maps for all of Australia that I need. I have tried the import function on OziExplorer and it doesn't seem to import the maps I require.

Does anyone have any clues on how I can do this please.

Many thanks for anyones help in advance.

Thanks

Ash
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baza - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:41

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:41
You need to get the .map files from here: http://www.oziexplorer.com/ under the Australia page tab.
AnswerID: 361287

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:48

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:48
Ash

Try this link "HELP"

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 361290

Reply By: Member - Motley - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:55

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:55
You can get the .MAP calibration files here - GPSOz - Look under Natmap
AnswerID: 361303

Reply By: Zebra400 - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 18:53

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 18:53
The NATMAPs are normally in ECW format. You can just import the files into Oziexplorer by clicking on 'File' 'Import Map' 'ECW Maps' then in the next window put the loation of the ECW files and then below it, put the pocation where you want to store the map files.

Laurie
AnswerID: 361322

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 02:07

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 02:07
Hello - that works and calibration is spot on but only draw back is that the corner markers, which define the edge of the map image, may not be in the right position. Using the method you describe will result in the map borders being placed at the extreme 4 corners of the image which may or may not correspond to the actual map boundary. The position of the corner markers is very important if you plan on using moving map as it defines when the edge of the actual map boundary is reached and initiates search for the adjoining map.

This is only relevant for the individual map tiles that have a white border with legend, not the mosaic. The 250K map (calibration) files made available on the OziExplorer web site have the corner markers in the correct position. So best to use these if you can. If you choose the ecw import method you will have to manually adjust 4 corner markers on every map (well you don’t have to but..)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 629503

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:33

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:33
Greg

It is a while since I purchased the Natmaps in that format. These days I just download my Natmaps from the GeoScience website for free. The plus about the maps from the website is that you know you are getting the latest maps and the big plus is they dont have any white borders, so when you import them the border markers are all in the right place.

Laurie

FollowupID: 629504

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:52

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:52
No worries - just thought Id mentioned the corner marker issue - obviously doesnt apply in every instance but it can be a trap for new chums. Nothing worse han getting out bush and finding moving map wont work properly.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629553

Reply By: Member - Kevin O (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 20:57

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 20:57
Hi Ash
How did you go with this? I recently bought OziExplorer and Natmap but the guy from Olbis set it up for me. I think you might just have to copy the natmap files to the right folder so that OziExplorer can find them. If you have trouble I'll tell you where mine are so you can compare
cheers
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 361734

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:41

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:41
Kevin

You have 2 options. You can either place the map files in the same folder as the image files. This way you dont have to worry about changing the map file to find the image file as Ozi always looks in the folder of the image first.

The 2nd way is to place the map files in a separate folder. If you prefer this method, you will need to goto 'File ' 'Change Image File Name, Path & Drive'. There are 3 options in the drop down window. The best one is the middle one ' Change Image File Path for all Maps in selected folder'.

Laurie
FollowupID: 629505

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:33

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:33
Hello

How you choose to organise your maps and calibration files is obviously a matter of personal preference and circumstance. I prefer to keep all my map images and calibration files together (though I have different map sets/jobs in separate folders). Main benefit is that you can move them (map image and calibration file) around between folders, drives and PCs without having to change a thing. In my case I don’t see any benefit in keeping them separate and in fact it would be a major PITB if I changed computers/drive/file path - it would take me hours if not days to convert the path of all my maps.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629569

Reply By: Member - WA 1968 (Ash) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:13

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:13
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. After a combinations of attempts I finally got them installed which is great. Thanks again.

Ash
AnswerID: 361822

Sponsored Links