Getting Ready for the Dawn Service

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 06:28
ThreadID: 68184 Views:1875 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All Proud Australians and New Zealanders
Its been wet most of the night. Black as ink outside, with an outside temperature of 12 C. My Grandfathers Service Medals from WW1 are again polish up and are ready to be worn by me, as respect for him and to all our brave young boys that made this day the most important day and started the ANZAC Legend

Where ever you are in the world, please show your respects for all past and present Service Personal that have served the greatest country in the world.

Lest We Forget.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 06:43

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 06:43
Stephen,

This will be the first year I have let my kids wear a minature set of my medals. My eldest is very keen to wear them.
I am still researching to find out what my grandfather should have been awarded from WWII as he has none, although we have found he served in numerous campaigns so far.

Lest We Forget

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 361393

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 07:46

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 07:46
Kev,
I have my grand fathers miniatures from my mothers side. He was a Grenadier guard who serviced with both the 1st and 8th army.
I have his full suit but I don't have his bears hat.
He was 6'6" 80kg wringing wet.
It was great to see so many Vietnam vets attend this service and marching. All the serviceman and women received the warmest reception.

FollowupID: 629127

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:59

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:59
Hi Kev
It would have made you feel very proud seeing you eldest wearing them, and given them ever more importance knowing that you were there with them

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629155

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:49

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:49
Stephen,

I am a bit sore now as the youngest (3 years old) wanted to march with me, which then involved me carrying her the whole way.
The eldest marched with her school and was very proud to tell her school friends that her minatures were her Dad's.

I just hope she doesn't want to follow in my footsteps and join, although deep down I would love to see one of them serving their country.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629228

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 07:11

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 07:11
Love the way youngsters are taking more of an interest.

Cheers.....Lionel
AnswerID: 361394

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:02

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:02
Hi Lionel
Yes, it is great to see the young children, which in turn will be our next generations to keep this most important tradition going.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629156

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:39

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:39
I took my 5 year old son to his first Anzac day parade, where he proudly marched with his school.

It took some explaining as to what Anzac Day means, as his answer was "badges and pens" :-) (the primary school kids sell badges and pens to the Prep kids even though they don't quite grasp the whole concept of Anzac Day)

He kept mentioning Simpsons when asked what he was taught about Anzac Day at school, and after a quick lesson, i now understood they had been taught about John (Jack) Simpson Kirkpatrick and his donkey rather than Homer and Marge :-)

Lest we Forget.

Andrew

FollowupID: 629163

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 14:05

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 14:05
Hi Andrew
That is great. Your son will remember his first march for the rest of his life and the true meaning behind it. Lets hope that there are a lot more parents out there like you to pass on the meaning for future generations

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629173

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:44

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:44
Thanks for that Stephen.

Andrew
FollowupID: 629226

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:53

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:53
Andew,

I took Ashley (my eldest to the march last year) and for 12 months she was pestering me to do it again. Today she was even more excited to march with the school as a Prepy in uniform.

I just need to get another set of minatures made up for the youngest now :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629229

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:05

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:05
Was that in Calliope or Gladstone Kev?

It was a proud moment when Jai marched with his Prep class....all 2 of them. (we have a high transient population up here which leads to some issues with committment sometimes, though in this case there was about 84 Prep kids that could have marched)

He couldn't work out how so many "oldies" could fight in a war at their age. :-) boy, i have some explaining to do, might take me all year. :-)

Whilst i don't have any family connections with any war veterens, it was a great day to remember those who had taken the time to make our life better.

We have decided that we want to take our kids over to Gallipoli in the next couple of years and visit these sombre places. It sounds like a must-do trip overseas even though the kids are young.

Andrew
FollowupID: 629232

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:10

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:10
Calliope.........................I wouldn't get a taxi home from Gladstone hahaha
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629233

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 07:28

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 07:28
Just got back from the Dawn service.
It was great to see so many young children attending the service
This year was one of the biggest we've had in the ten years or so that I have attended. There must of been about 20 servicemen and well over a hundred onlookers. It was great to see that many turn out.
Not bad for a little town like ours.

We will remember them.

AnswerID: 361395

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:23

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:23
Hi Jon
The rain held off for the Service. Only started drizzling on the walk home. Once again, for the small population of Clare, less that 3000 people, there was a large crowd gathered of over 300 people to show their respects for all Australian War Campaigns, with lots of young people and Vietnam Vets as well. Hearing those special words of the Service makes us all very Proud of our Fore Bearers, knowing that those very young boys and men did their Nation Proud, and were only going a job that they all had no idea of the final consequences. I say young boys, as my Grandfather forged his parents signature to enlist and was only 17 when he left for his Service in the Middle East and Europe. He was one of the lucky ones and did return home, but would never talk of his experiences of what he saw or did over there. Before the last post, were the morning calls of Crows and Magpies in the trees near by, a fitting tribute to so many Australians that went to War and were never to return home and hear those truly Australian sounds again.

We will Remember Then

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629129

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:19

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:19
Rough count of 45 adults + 10 school kids at dawn service , not bad for a current total population of less than 90 ,,Muttaburra Qld.
AnswerID: 361420

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:56

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:56
Hi Axel
That is a realy great turnout, and something the town can be proud off.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629154

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:09

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:09
Gday,
Forgot the camera this morning.....but heres a shot from last year(not real good ones, but youll get the idea)Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 361423

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 14:10

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 14:10
Hi Hairy
It would have been a cool start to the day up on ANZAC Hill. I can just picture the sun coming over the Ranges and lots of proud people all paying their respects at a very special spot in The Alice.

Take Care

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629176

Sponsored Links