Tow boat to Morton Island

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 14:47
ThreadID: 68196 Views:6383 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Would like some advise from boaty members. I would like to take my 4.85m trailcraft alum runabout with 60hp ob on the barge to Morton for a few days fishing. Are there launching ramps there? How practical is it to tow a boat on the island? Towing with Ford ranger 4x4 with tray top camper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nutta - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:01

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:01
Hi Colin, I havent towed on moreton before but judging by the big glass boats on Fraser island it shouldnt be too hard.
Crossing the island on the middle track would be hard but u prolly have no reason to take it onto the surf side anyway.
The western beach and bypass tracks shouldnt give u any trouble just gotta watch the soft stuff coming up the beach to Bulwer, keep on the throttle and it shouldnt be to bad.
Not sure if u have been to moreton but lowtide is best especially heading north from tangalooma, the dune drops right to the water, really tight.
Regardless, have fun fishing, there plenty of wrecks on the western side north of tangy.
Good luck, Wayne
AnswerID: 361497

Follow Up By: Nutta - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:58

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:58
By the way last time i was there i pulled an all wheel drive kluger or something (no low range)out of the soft sand at bulwer and he had a tinnie on, other than that he said it was no worries so shouldnt be to much drama for you.
Cheers Wayne
FollowupID: 629253

Follow Up By: Member - colin M (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:54

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:54
Yes thought I would stick to west side thanks for tips on tides will check that out
FollowupID: 629305

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 20:02

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 20:02
As far as I am aware there is NO FUEL available on Morton these days . It was advertised early in the year in Queensland when the Bulwer shop got their tanks removed

Take plenty in case.
AnswerID: 361533

Follow Up By: Member - colin M (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:53

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:53
Thanks will take some spare fuel
FollowupID: 629304

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 07:30

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 07:30
Colin,

I have towed my 4.9mtr fibreglass runabout on Moreton a few times, 90hp. It can be very hard work if the tides are not perfect.
No ramps on the island, so launching off the beach is the go.
It can be quite difficult as the western beach is very flat, so you will probably need to chase around to find an area with some slope.

Make sure you let all tyres down as much as you are comfortable with, the Mi Cat has compressors on board so airing up is very easy.

I must confess that I have given up in taking it as it is all just too hard, but as a one of if is worth the effort as the island and surrounding waters are beautiful.

Rob
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 361585

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 09:23

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 09:23
No ramps and now no fuel and the Micat charges by the metre for trailers /boats so it becomes a rather expensive exercise if only staying a cpl /few days ,,,,last time we went saw a young bloke "chase " the Micat from the loading point all the way across the bay in a 16 foot dinghy with a 40 honda , "surfed"the wake all the way ,, turned out his mates were all on board the Micat with all the camping gear in the 4x4 and c/trailer ,,, they did the same for the return 10 days later ,,,,, recon they were very lucky to pick real calm days , can just imagine the outcome if a 1 to 2mtr swell picked up ........
AnswerID: 361599

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:58

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:58
G'day Axle,

Coming back not so much of a problem. Usually an Easterly blowing. Reminds me of a Xmas camping trip with my boys over a decade ago. I was waiting for good weather to come home on and ended up with a 20-25 knot NE which on the western side looks like nothing for the first kilometer. Ended up pushing home with only 2 or 3 waves over the small cabin - overshot the wave I was riding on.

I had an old 14 foot steber craft back then.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 629578

Sponsored Links