Hervey Bay to Cairns

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 17:21
ThreadID: 68203 Views:2334 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have planned our route from Melbourne to Hervey Bay, but having never been further than Hervey Bay, I'm at a loss as to what are the must sees and do between HB & Cairns and time to allow for them.

We will be stopping at Cairns for probably 10 days with friends, and are having 3-4 rest days at Fraser Island before the trek to Cairns, so, we won't need much rest time in that section of the trip.

Any suggestions ??

Terry & Amanda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stumbly - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 17:59

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 17:59
little crystal creek and big crystal creek are worth a look, not far off the main drag - couple of hours for a swim and a bit of lunch.
We had to do a quick trip a few years back, brisbane to cairns (11 days!) so missed alot but those 2 stand out in our memories.
The banana benders on here could tell you some better spots i'm sure...
AnswerID: 361496

Reply By: wild dog - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:02

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:02
The Bruce Hwy is the quickest and shortest but also the busiest. After travelling on it for the last 43 years I normally go up the inland road.
You may find Cania Gorge interesting good camping grounds, Charters Towers has some interesting old stuff and a big camp of flying foxes.
Then you can go through Mt. Garnet and through the Atherton Tablelands to Cairns via the Gillies Hwy or down the Kuranda range.

Downside is a few Roadtrains north of Charters Towers, it's OK if you're prepared to let them have the road. The edges of the bitumen can roll a tyre off if care isn't taken.
Alternatively go Charters Towers to Townsville and drive on one of the few pieces of good road in Nth Qld.
AnswerID: 361498

Follow Up By: wild dog - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:20

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:20
If you like wildlife there's a very nice camp ground at Cape Hillsborough north of Mackay.
Further north Jourama Falls is a good overnight stop.
FollowupID: 629221

Reply By: dact - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:59

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:59
We are looking to hug the coast - hubby wants to spend a cpl of days around Gladstone/Biloela, as he lived there briefly as a kid, and I want to visit Rocky & Mackay. We are coming through outback NSW/QLD, so once we hit the coast we want to stick to it...... all the way round oz.
We would have liked to go the coast from Melbourne to Hervey Bay, but we have done that before and we are limited for time.
AnswerID: 361532

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:36

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:36
Hi,
The RACQ has a website to help. Have a look at :

www.150mustdos.com.au

Queensland celebrates its 150th birthday this year so there are many special things happening in places as well.

We enjoyed visiting Paronella Park at Mena Creek (concrete structures etc built in a rain forest many year ago). It is unique.

Cheers,
GPM

AnswerID: 361547

Follow Up By: dact - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 00:49

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 00:49
Thanks for that....I'll bookmark the site and refer to it as I continue planning.

Paronella looks fantastic and is now on the list of must see.

Cheers
terry & Amanda
FollowupID: 629316

Reply By: Mike and Lee - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:03

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:03
Hi Terry and Amanda
Have travelled the Bruce Highway (B'bane-Cns) many times (used to live in Cairns, Mareeba and Weipa). As mentioned in another comment, Cape Hillsborough Nth of Mackay, but there are two lovely places south of Gladstone worth a look, Agnes Waters and the town of 1770.
Noticed someone suggested the inland road and Mt Garnet. If you do go that way, make sure you go to the Llava tubes.
When you are in Cairns the trip to Chillagoe to see the caves is definitely worth doing - make to stay over night. An interesting drive from Mareeba to Chillagoe.
Enjoy the trip.
AnswerID: 361612

Sponsored Links