Flat Tyre Fixer Question

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:08
ThreadID: 68210 Views:3005 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Do you carry any of that "Green Slime" tyre fixer when you travel, is it any good? or is there something BETTER? to use in an emergency, I do carry two spare tyres with me on the Cruiser, but the Van only has one spare and the wheels are not 5 studs and 6 studs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:18

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:18
Hi cobber, I was skeptical at first about this green slim, i put it in my trailer tyres about 12 months ago and have never gone down. before the slim i would have to pump them up every few days. now i use it in the forklift at work and the caravan and also carry a few bottles with me when i go away.
cheers shane.
AnswerID: 361518

Follow Up By: cobber - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:49

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:49
Thanks Shane for the advice, I noticed it in Auto Cheap the other day and wondered if it was any good..........Doing the Great Central Road in July WA to QLD so will get a couple of bottles as a back up.
FollowupID: 629249

Reply By: cobber - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:52

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:52
Edit to my question, the wheels are not interchangeable, the Cruiser has 5 studs and the van 6 studs.
AnswerID: 361529

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:24

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:24
Cobber

Would it cost that much to change the van hubs so you have interchangeable wheels?

Are you familiar with the plug kits - ARB sells a cheapy.

Lastly, tyre temperature and pressure monitoring kits are now reasonably priced so early changes can be detected and repairs effected before tyres self immolate.

Bob
AnswerID: 361546

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:10

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:10
"self immolate"

Love that!

Allan
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 629291

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:22

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:22
cobber, had green slime here for quad bikes and a waste of time any time I have tried to use it. Prefer to use tyre plugs any time.
AnswerID: 361559

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 09:35

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 09:35
Hi Cobber,
Word of warning on the green slim stuff. It does work as in fixes a small slow leak, be it may hiding a more serious problem. A slow leak indicates a weak point in the tyre, the slim is a short term fix but at some time it will let go. If you don't know there is a leak you can't get it fixed. Tyre monitoring is better. We use tyre plugs to fix a flat tyre and they work well, have repaired 3 nail holes with them. We know the tyre is weaker so drive appropriately and get fixed asap. The green stuff hides the problem. May be ok on small bikes ect but would not trust my car and camper to it.

Josh
AnswerID: 361605

Reply By: wild dog - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:02

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:02
Haven't seen the green stuff for years. On rural properties I've had I used to use a pink liquid latex. About $60/litre from memory.

Think it was called" tyre shield" or something like that. It stays as a liquid inside the tyre but as it exudes through the puncture the latex hardens and seals the leak.

Don't know how it affects balance but it was very effective on punctures up to about 3 or 4 mm. Once the sidewall is gone I think the tyre shop is the only answer.
AnswerID: 361611

Reply By: glids - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:26

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:26
I reckon I read or heard somewhere that if you use the slime, and then need to get the tyre repaired properly by a tyre joint, you are stuffed.

I gather they cannot bond patches to the tyre once the slime is there or has been there.

Only my memory, cannot guarantee the accuracy!

cheers,
glids
AnswerID: 361614

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:38

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:38
The Green Slime saved me years ago. Every Sunday arvo was spent repairing my young son's bike tyres as there were thorns in the block near by. As our shop stocked it, I figured I better give it a go. Injected in in through the valve at about 3 oclock (non-digital time) and never fixed a push bike flat again. Changed my life. Magic! Now,re plugs,have great success in 4x4 parks and on road with them. One word of warning though, removing a nail etc, have a Phillips No.1 screwdriver (blunt point req) handy,study the angle of the nail so you can push in the s/driver in folllowing the existing hole exactly. I once missed the angle and must have created a new passage in the tyre. Next trip,blew the tread clean off the tyre case as the air got between casing and tread components. Went off with one mighty bang,I got a death grip on the steer wheel waiting for the wobbles. Nothing! Turned out I drove the short distance home on the tyre casing only. Insert the tyre plug reamer carefully at same angle as the screw driver and you're sweet. After all,life is all about the angle of the dangle.
AnswerID: 361617

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:42

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:42
Save your money and invest in a tyre plug kit , as others have pointed out once you "slime" a tire it becomes near impossible to effect a proper repair , best is to change the stud patterngiving you 3 = spares.
AnswerID: 361625

Sponsored Links