Camping with warm nights

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:37
ThreadID: 68228 Views:2113 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
For our website I have to spend most of the winter months in the outback - with gruesomely cold nights. Yet, I found the best heating to be the simplest. It’s a Coleman Dual-Fuel pressure lamp, running on unleaded or Shellite. It makes a cosy atmosphere, gives a great reading light and exudes lots of heat. It quickly warms my tent. It’s even sufficient for the cabin of my car where I have a bed installed.
BUT the flame consumes oxygen. You have to leave a tent flap or the window a little open.
Happy Camping! - Klaus and Rusty

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troopy 2005 - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:46

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:46
And it also produces carbon monoxide,extremely dangerous not really great in confined spaces.if you read the instructions it should tell you this,Id buy some Icebreakers instead and an electric light.
AnswerID: 361626

Follow Up By: Member - Klaus J (NSW) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 11:39

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 11:39
You are quite right. I typed my post rather innocently since I have used those pressure lamps for the best part of 40 years - with no ill effects. I also must point out the popularity of kerosene heaters until only some years back. And there were never reports of mass murder committed by those things.
However, I agree with you that it is much better to err on the safe side than on my ignorant one.
Greetings - Klaus
FollowupID: 630292

Follow Up By: troopy 2005 - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 12:46

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 12:46
Sorry Klause,I didnt meen to sound like a smart arse,but carbon monoxide has no smell and is a cancenergenic.Thats exactly why you dont see kero heaters any more .Icebreaker thermals are like having your own personal heater,we wore them in canada,-14, in winter skiing and I nearly melted.There made in new zealand so well worth checking out.
thanks bruce
FollowupID: 630301

Reply By: austastar - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 15:08

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 15:08
Yep, do the same, Tassie winter camping in the van, light and warmth at the same time.
A little common sense with the ventilation, i.e. fumes out the top, fresh air in from underneath.
It even works in snow caves, but am very careful with ventilation there cause the space is much smaller.
cheers
AnswerID: 361662

Sponsored Links