How do you remove caravan windows

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 15:07
ThreadID: 68238 Views:3107 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day
Have a leak in one of my caravan windows, it's a slide window and was wondering if anyone knows how to remove these and what to do about resealing them.
Cheers
Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 17:42

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 17:42
They are quite difficult to remove as one must undo all the retaining screws then slowly remove the window.
This window removal is difficult as the sealant around also holds the window in.
After removal you must clean all the old sealant from window surrounds and the offending window then purchase the correct caulking compound then apply and re-seat the window in the surrounds.
I did 2 in our old van and it was a difficult and messy job.
I swore that next time I would leave it to those that do van repairs.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 361690

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 16:48

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 16:48
Hi there. Yes, I agree with Dodg, it's a cow of a job. But, as a retired bloke, I had the time, and did my windows one at a time; ended up doing the door frame and the corner beads as well.
Only thing to add is that I bought new self-adhesive foam strip from Clark Rubber (don't know if they operate outside SA), and I used a windscreen sealing compound that stays soft (ie does not cure like silicon). So I (a) stuck the foam strip to the window frame, then (b) buttered the foam strip with the sealer, then (c) refitted the frame, fixing quickly with new stainless screws, and finally (d) cleaned up VERY QUICKLY with turps to get rid of the HUGE amount of smeared sealer!!!!! (lots of clean rags handy!).
Hope this helps.
Incidentally, prise out the frames gently: you can easily crack a window, which adds considerably to the cost (yes, the window I broke was, naturally, the biggest and most expensive to replace).
Chris (SA)
FollowupID: 629640

Reply By: lecruiser - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 15:16

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 15:16
Thanks for the info.
Jim
AnswerID: 361865

Sponsored Links