Fraser Island

Morning all,
Just back from Fraser Island.

Trip log

Drive up from Brisbane after a night with some friends. All of us had lunch at the Rainbow SLSC. Manta Ray over to Fraser and due to no beach, up the inland track and then stopped off at Govi as it was 3 o'clock. Drinks and nibbles on the dunes watching the last brave few charging up the beach.

Woke up to greet the maze of dingo tracks around the camp, no big deal so I went for a swim to freshen up. ( Very close inshore swim lol.)Then off to Boomanjin which was ok. The girls love the tannin as it is a fantastic hair softener. Onto Birrabeen which has to be the pick of the crop. One other family to the right of the track so the four of us went to the left. Absolute perfection with clear warm skyes Eli creek water and crystal white sand. Stayed most of the day here.

Central station for a quick bite and over to McKenzie for a very quick look at the people mass of people. Bailed out of there quickly and back to Govi as it was 5 o'clock and we almost missed the sunset whilst having drinks in the dunes.

Went for a walk this morning before the other were up to check out the camping site which is located behind the dunes . Walked about 1k before I heard dingos yelping close by. Hmm back to the beach so I could have something at my back. Back at camp two dingos wanted the rubbish bag this morning to the extent that when challenged ( quitely) the buggers tried to flank us. They regrouped and made for around the front of the Patrol. They only took off when I got the shovel out and gently placed it in front of them. Never seen dingos behave that way before. Anyway up to Eurong for an icecream and onwards to the Maheno & Eli creek.

Eli is alot more shallow since I was last there though still as enchanting. Not alot of traffic around due to the lack of beach and some interesting rock crossings. Due to the run off from recent rains the water was a bit murky for shark spotting from Indian head, although again we had the place to ourselves with the view.

Champagne pools for some fun in the surf and onto Waddy. All the established campgrounds are now fenced in an effort to wean the dingos off scavanging and force them back to hunting again. The campground at Waddy had about 6 other parties scattered around, so we made ourselves comfortable with a fire ring for a two night stay. The pub / store at Orchid Beach advised us that the beach was blocked further north which curtailed going up to Sandy Cape, so we spent the days swimming and lounging at Waddy. The wind was increasing pushing up the swell. There was a perfect 6 foot right hander off Waddy which ran for about 300 metres.

Ran back down the beach had to take the inland track again to get off the Island and across to the new pub at Rainbow fro lunch. Did an overnight stop at freashwater, though with no beach we couldn't run up to Double Island, so back to Brisbane to catch up with some friends.

Fabulos Fraser.

Cheers

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:23

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:23
Lovely little traveltorial Steve. I felt like I was doing that trip to. Considering I'm in the office and it's pouring rain that can be me holiday this week..! LOL
AnswerID: 362021

Follow Up By: blue one - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:24

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:24
Glad to help. I still have a few days and I might venture down into the high country if the wind backs off.

Cheers
FollowupID: 629812

Reply By: briann532 - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:20

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:20
Steve, I myself just returned from Fraser.

Other than way too many backpackers in troopies and a car accident in the first 10 mins of arriving, all went well.
I too coudn't go north but went across to Wathumba instead.
Well worth the drive.
I have been 3 times before and have never done that drive.
it always just made more sense to go north.
I highly reccommend Wathumba to anyone.
Great campsite and a beautiful uncrowded spot.
We saw a shark circling the mouth and had a visit from a couple of large brightly coloured sea turtles.

We were lucky enough to have booked camper trailer sites in Dunduburra. Great place to go with the family.
Showers, toilets, Dingo fenced and fire pits. Even had grass.

I love hearing and sharing stories on this site.

Brian
AnswerID: 362031

Follow Up By: blue one - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:33

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:33
I feel sorry for the backpackers, as whilst we were there we helped out two groups with corroded piles of junk which had been rented to them. Way overloaded, unroadworthy and unprepared.

These backpackers are just kids who do not know the risks or how to operate a 4wd.

I hope the new laws stop another accident like the one at Dundubara which happen when we were on the Island.

On brighter note you would have had great weather over that side.

Get wet coming up the beach? lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 629814

Reply By: pprass - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:35

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:35
Nice summary Steve,

Regarding the fire ring at Waddy Point camp ground; I understand that you have to bring your own dressed wood for camp fires. Where did you get yours? Is there a stock pile there?

"...beach was blocked further north which curtailed going up to Sandy Cape"

Was that because of high tide, or has the recent storms changed the beach/exposed rocks etc?

Peter
AnswerID: 362043

Follow Up By: blue one - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:44

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:44
Pete,
Your right as you have to bring your own dressed wood. The bypass road around Ngkala Rocks has been damaged by the cyclone and now has drop offs which can't be driven on. You can't drive around those rocks.

Cheers
FollowupID: 629818

Reply By: NickDG - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 16:55

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 16:55
Took pics and walked the full length, of the northern bi-pass.Would be a Dulldoser Job to fix it. I doubt that there is a will on the part of N.P.s to do the Job as they like to lock up places!
AnswerID: 362071

Reply By: steamfire01 - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 17:22

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 17:22
Hi
We're all envious, it's starting to get cool in the Blue Mountains, time to head north!!
What is the story around Rainbow Beach? Is there any beach, can you drive from Rainbow towards Double Island Point?

Genearlly spend some time there in May June but maybe not this year?
Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 362072

Follow Up By: blue one - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 18:42

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 18:42
steamfire,
We found most of the beach washed away both on Fraser and Rainbow. We had a go at driving from freshwater to Double Island though at half low tide and high sees there was very little beach exposed. If the wind has dropped off when you go you may stand a better chance. I would give it a crack anyway as there is always plan B (stay at Freshwater N.P.) and it's a fantastic part of Aus.

Cheers

Steve
FollowupID: 629862

Follow Up By: blue one - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:13

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:13
HA

seas
FollowupID: 629880

Sponsored Links