What to see/do in WA for 7 days

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 19:21
ThreadID: 68326 Views:2902 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just a very simple question.

We bought special deals with Virginblue and Britz campervan for 7 days in WA for early May. this will be our first time in Perth/WA and am after advices on activities.

We love water activities ( fishing, crabing , snorkelling...) and beautiful beaches.

1. North or South: only have 7 days, should we go north or south? how is the weather south / norht. prefer sunny days.

2. where are the beautiful beaches? we will stay on campervan during the night?

3. is there any must-see spots?

4. any good snorkelling beaches , 500 KM around Perth?

Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (Malanda - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 19:31

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 19:31
To me South of WA is the best - many a great spot so I would spend my 7 days checking all that out. There is a problem as it is usually the wetter place if there are fronts comming in. North this time of year will be a lot clearer and there are also some great spots.

Toss a coin. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 362101

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:32

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:32
If ya only have 7 days, I reckon the area between Bunbury & Albany is your best bet (could easily spend a week in Albany without getting bored)..

SWMBO and I spent 16½ years in WA, & never got to see it all
(then again, I was busy tryin' to make a living at the time;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 362114

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:33

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:33
being start of winter I guess id say north

its a bit further than 500km but i guess from what you say then kalbarri would be a good bet. besides water and beaches you have the gorges to check out as well
AnswerID: 362115

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:42

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:42
Go north!!

Coral Bay, Denham or Kalbarri.

It starting to get a bit cold here now and the more north the more warmth..

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 362118

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:52

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:52
If you want to cram as much sight seeing in as possible and possible wet and cold weather doewsn't faze you then head South as there is by far more to see in a short space of time. But, if it's warm weather and fishing, swimming and a bit of sight seeing but with greater travel distances then head North.Kalbarri has just about everything you're looking for. 7 hrs or so from Perth.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 362119

Reply By: stumbly - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:21

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:21
every one has hit the nail on the head - check the forecast when you get here, decide north or south depending on the weather then and follow the previous replies for towns/area's, they're all good ones!
personally, for me, it would be south. If the weather turns dirty there is some lovely old pubs/winery's/tea houses to spend a couple of days till it clears. And the south coast, even overcast, has some great scenery.
The fishing is pretty good down there this time of the year, but a bit late for the crabs.
If north, Kalbarri in autumn/early winter is a delight. about 600km's from perth but worth the extra drive.
AnswerID: 362133

Follow Up By: stumbly - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:29

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:29
forgot to add,"must see beaches" south west of perth - meelup, eagle bay, bunkers bay all good for snorkelling. Keep away from the the salmon schools as the some big noah's can follow them.
south coast - any of the beaches around albany/denmark, get a bit of local advice for snorkelling some of them as the southern ocean can be very unforgiving.
ok, i'll get off my soap box now....
FollowupID: 629894

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:52

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:52
Couple of suggestions:

Staring from Perth, head NNE to

New Norcia. A Monastic town. You could spend a whole day here, ie, 2 nights. Your camper needs to have a toilet for you to stay, independently, on the town sportsground. Great pub.

Head west thru Moora, maybe overnight at Pioneer Park at Badgingarra. Honour box payment. Showers and toilets. Beautiful grounds. If that's too early in the day there are plenty of overnight spots one sandhill from the beach just north of Lancelin. These sites used to be "shack" towns until they were all bulldozed.

Then south to Perth. Kings Park. City stuff. Maybe one day.

South to Mandurah. I've seen motorhomes overnighting on the south bank, estuary end, of Dawesville Cut. Beautiful spot.

Then further south to Australind. Great spot on the estuary bank for lunch. Then inland up Ferguson Valley to Gnomesville. Bring a gnome to add to the collection. And your camera. You'll be amazed.

You can then come out in the late afternoon and overnight at a free, Council provided location in Donnybrook. Great town. Stock up on your fruit.

Not far then to Busselton. Underwater observatory at the end of the Jetty.

Maybe then NNE up through Collie. Plenty of overnight spots near Wellington Dam. Up through Williams to Congelin or Pumphrey's Bridge for another peaceful campsite.

Can't work out if that's 7 days or not but you can Google all of those places or, preferably, look them up on this site, ExplorOz, under Places at the top of the page.

Welcome to WA.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 362147

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 00:14

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 00:14
pretty sure the busso jetty has been closed
FollowupID: 629936

Follow Up By: PatrolSTL04 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 00:48

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 00:48
Get out more....you are right about the jetty.

PLEASE NOTE: The Busselton Jetty is undergoing a full restoration project. Access is permitted for the first 200m including the Interpretive Centre and Museum. Visitors are encouraged to come and view the restoration as it unfolds and take a look at the full plans in the Interpretive Centre. The Underwater Observatory and Jetty Train will re-open early 2010. Apologies for any inconvenience.
FollowupID: 629938

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 00:16

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 00:16
whichever way you decide to go after you decide you should get some more specific ideas of places to visit
eg if heading to kalbarri then the pinnacles, Grenough hamlet, and ellandale pool are worth a visit on the way
AnswerID: 362164

Reply By: Chenj3-2 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 01:56

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 01:56
Thanks all,

I really appreciate all you guys' advices on WA, will goole all spots you mentioned and get a plan for them with weather forecast for sure.

See you soon!
AnswerID: 362168

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:04

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:04
The best beaches are in and around Esperence and there is plenty to see on the way to and from Esperence no matter which way you travel. And given that we are still having beaut weather it will be a magic time to visit. Enjoy you stay
AnswerID: 362195

Reply By: disco driver - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 14:24

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 14:24
Hi Chenj3-2,
Here are a few things for you to think about in regard to your short trip.

Distances between towns, places of interest etc are far greater going north (For example; Perth-Geraldton is 450km, Geraldton-Kalbarri is 160km, Kalbarri-Denham/Monkey Mia just under 300km and Denham-Carnarvon is another300km). In reality there is not a lot to see for the distance covered

Covering the same distance (about 1200km) and travelling south from Perth you could visit Bunbury (Dolphins, Dive Wreck), Busselton (Timber Jetty and wineries), Margaret River (Wines, Surf, Caves), Augusta, Pemberton, Nannup, Manjimup (Tall Timber, Forest Scenery), Walpole, Denmark, (Treetop Walk) Albany (Historic Places, Beaches, Dive Wreck) and then return to Perth via farm lands and through a number of small country towns including Hyden (Wave Rock).

The best beaches in Australia are at Esperance (500km east of Albany and about 800km southeast of Perth

It is possible to drive great distances each day but I would suggest that travelling should be limited to no more than around 400km/day and not every day. There is no point in getting to somewhere and being too tired to enjoy it.

Sorry this so long but I hope it helps in your planning.

Disco.
AnswerID: 362257

Sponsored Links